German Shepherds Forum banner

spoiled meat, chicken, liver and heart

5K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  WirelessG 
#1 ·
I let a case of meat spoil. it still looks like meat lol. just stinks and is slimy. I'm boiling it all now. is it ok to give?

what happens to meat when it spoils except more bacteria and can that bacteria be killed by boiling.

how long should I boil

#6 ·
It's not just about killing the bacteria, but the smell comes from toxins produced by the bacteria. Boiling won't get rid of those.

I know people that feed rotten meat and road kill with no problems (yet), but it's not something I would risk.

#7 ·
Oh it was in the fridge,I just kept it there longer than I wanted. And it wasn't spoiled all the way, just starting to stink and slimy. But I threw it away just in case

I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem, I've given him a piece like that before but this time it was a lot of meat and I didn't want to risk it.

#11 ·
I don't feed spoiled meat. I know people that do and have never had a problem. There are people on here that do. I've had dogs drag in road kill and never had an issue.

But I'm not taking the chance.
No kidding. Once you've paid a huge vet bill due to stomach issues, you won't take any chances at all.

#10 ·
I feed my dog beautiful fresh beef knuckle bones, that I make a special trip to the meat packers to get, just for him. He won't eat them fresh! He buries them and lets them rot! Then he'll dig them back up to enjoy them, afterwards. Yuck!!! I asked my vet if this was ok, can my dog eat bones covered in maggots??? My vet said it was pretty typical and wouldn't hurt him, lol. And thankfully the maggot-covered bone was just in my imagination, lol. They're not even smelly, for some reason, after he digs them up - a delicious canine beef jerky specialty, handed down for generations, lol.

#12 ·
I've fed mine some smelly meat in the past with no problems (1 or two days past the exp), but I try to avoid it. The funny thing is that if you left your dog to fend for himself, he would find all sorts of rotten stuff to eat and he would survive. So it always makes me wonder, but I feed them fresh almost all the time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.