German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (
-   B.A.R.F./Raw Feeding (
-   -   Raw Feeders - What Bowl Do You Use? (

Mesonoxian 08-22-2014 10:44 PM

Raw Feeders - What Bowl Do You Use?
I know that a lot of raw feeders forego the bowl and feed on the ground, a towel, a tray, in a crate, or any number of other things. Because of who I live with, cleaning up after my dog eats raw is a concern, and I happily comply. However, I'd like to start feeding from a large bowl to make the cleaning even easier on myself. (I currently feed on a boot tray and wipe it down afterwards.

I'm planning on a stainless steel bowl, but am curious about what you all think about size(volume), whether to have the non-skid rubber on the bottom, even the height of the bowl lip. (and any other advice you might like to share) :)

Thanks in advance!

onyx'girl 08-22-2014 10:48 PM

Stainless bowls with rounded bottoms. My dogs would prefer to eat off a flat surface. Most of the time they take the food out of the bowl, drop it on the floor or ground before rebite. the rubber bottom is long gone....

Sunflowers 08-23-2014 08:52 AM

179 Attachment(s)
I love these.

I do not even remove the rubber ring before washing, and they do just fine in the dishwasher.

David Winners 08-23-2014 08:59 AM

I use these in the 32oz size:

They have weighted bottoms, come in different colors, are dishwasher safe, are non skid, and the wife thinks they are cute.

Carriesue 08-23-2014 09:10 AM

I use a big stainless steel bowl... problem is all my dogs pull their food out of the bowl onto the floor anyways lol. Anyway you can feed in a crate then wipe down the bottom after to make the other person comfortable? I use 50/50 vinegar water mix to clean up after raw but warm soapy water works too.

SuperG 08-23-2014 10:46 AM

Stainless bowl....but when I give her a chicken quarter or other larger "chunk" of raw...I put down a towel and let her consume the item off the towel...she does stay on the towel with the food...that took minimal training.

lalachka 08-23-2014 10:49 AM

70 Attachment(s)
my dog eats in the crate, it's open though, I don't crate him. and I use the buckets that hang on the wall. he takes the food out and eats on the bed inside the crate. I don't clean anything. once in a blue I will wipe the bed. he sleeps in my bed. I guess I'm a pig.

mkinttrim 08-23-2014 01:12 PM

My dog eats off of a old dinner plate on a raised platform I built.

Mesonoxian 08-26-2014 12:51 AM

It sounds like 2-3 quarts is the way to go, and having some rubber isn't a problem. Thank you all!

BowWowMeow 08-26-2014 01:18 AM

I use a pyrex glass dish.