German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   B.A.R.F./Raw Feeding (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/b-r-f-raw-feeding/)
-   -   How do you store your RAW (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/b-r-f-raw-feeding/480801-how-do-you-store-your-raw.html)

kmaldona 08-17-2014 02:16 PM

How do you store your RAW

I am wanting to store my daily dog's food in plastic containers because the plastic bags leak blood when thawed.

What did everyone come up for a solution.

Thanks

qbchottu 08-17-2014 02:18 PM

Deep freezer and a dog fridge

kmaldona 08-17-2014 02:21 PM

What type of containers?

lalachka 08-17-2014 02:23 PM

70 Attachment(s)
plastic. they do crack even though it's pretty heavy duty

excuse my nasty kitchen

lalachka 08-17-2014 02:32 PM

70 Attachment(s)
actually, sp far only the tops cracked. not sure why. so it doesn't leak and I still use thrm. I have like 15 of them and buy 200 lbs at a time

and then lug it to the 3rd floor, then package it in containers. lots of fun

mspiker03 08-17-2014 02:35 PM

I separate the bulk orders into zip lock bags and refreeze. I thaw those bags in a large plastic container to catch any mess, but I try to only semi-thaw when I separate each meal to eliminate at least some of the leaks. I make/separate a days worth of food at once and store those in plastic containers. I refreeze the zip locks until I finish what is in them. The next day, I go about thawing some more food out again and repeat the process.

onyx'girl 08-17-2014 02:57 PM

I save my 2qt green tripe deli containers and reuse them for anything that will fit in them. 6 duck necks fit perfectly. There is no leakage. I usually put 2-3 days worth of meals in a tote and thaw at room temp or in the drawers of my dog food(and beer) fridge. The drawers hold any drippings from the packages. My fridge has a tray that fits across the bottom with a 1" lip around to contain any other blood/juice from the meat. I've also saved some containers from bulk salads or ice cream to set bags in for thawing. I still get messes, lol....though the deli containers are really nice and no mess.

AnyaGSD 08-17-2014 03:26 PM

we do a month at a time. use zip lock bags and freeze all but a couple days. Those go in a mini fridge in our garage only for her food. Some leakage but at least its only in a dedicated fridge

David Winners 08-17-2014 03:44 PM

I break down chickens and portion into Ziplock freezer bags. The individual baths go into a large Ziplock in 3 day portions, then into the freezer. I keep 3 days out at a time. Those bags are stored in a Lexan container inside a drawer in the fridge.

IMO, if you are getting pools of fluid in your refrigerator, you should look at containing things better.

mego 08-17-2014 05:11 PM

i have freezer bags for 2 days worth, I semi thaw enough to get a meal out (my girl likes frozen). When they are frozen I keep them in the dog freezer in the garage, but when I thaw I get a big bowl in my kitchen and put the bag in it to thaw in case it drips.