Skinny GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2014, 06:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Skinny GSD

A few months ago I switched my 1 year GSD to raw due to his allergies and it helped. He's always looked skinny and the vet has never showed much concern. He's shedding and now I can see his ribs - all of them. I've upped his feeding in the last couple week and I'm now feeding him about 2 lbs per day of chicken, thigh or back bone, ground beef, canned mackerel, rice, green beans, carrots, and from time to time cottage cheese and yogurt as toppings. I fills out at 16 oz container 100%. Previously I was feeding him 1.5 lbs/day. And he always gets an evening snack - 1/4 to 1/3 lb of some sort of meat.

We play most everyday for half an hour. He last weighted in at 75 lbs. When he was on kibble, I was feeding him 8 cups per day of quality food and he had a lot of runny stools. I It seems as though feeding him more may not make a difference. I noticed a runny stool in the yard this evening.

I probably need to add some more info to my story, but I thought I would post this and see if there are a lot of similar stories.
WirelessG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2014, 08:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

75 pounds for a 1yo male is an excellent weight and 2 pounds of raw is about 1 kilo so that sounds about the right amount of food, however if you feel he is skinny to the point where you can actually see his ribs and increasing his food intake has not enabled weight gain plus the fact his stools are runny, then I would have him tested for EPI.

EPI is a condition where the animal can't digest their food due to their pancreas being non existent or almost non existent and without replacement enzymes, they will starve to death.

Most dogs that present with EPI also have SIBO - a bacterial type infection in the gut and one of the symptoms of SIBO is runny, yellow, mucus stools.

Ask your vet to do a blood test for EPI, making sure you fast him, ie feed him his usual meal in the evening then nothing in the morning so that the blood test can be done. If he is positive for EPI you will need to put him on replacement enzymes straight away plus 'Tylan' for SIBO and also give him a course of generic B12 shots once a week for 6 weeks. It is not too difficult to manage an EPI dog and there is a great website where you can get lots of help - Overview - EPI * Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency

If your vet is reluctant to test, find another vet.

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiinsnapshots.htm
Harry and Lola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2014, 03:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks H&L. I'll ask the vet about it. Ulee looks like the white shepherd in your link, but a little bit better than that. Certainly not as bad as the other dogs in the link.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Wow 8 cups of a good quality kibble! That IMO seems like way too much food. And sometimes too much food can cause runny stools too...
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2014, 05:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Posting pictures of the dog, from the side and from above while he is standing, would help.

I have rarely seen someone post here whose dog is truly too thin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WirelessG View Post
I fills out at 16 oz container 100%.

Do you weigh his food?
A GSD needs a minimum of 1.5 pounds of raw, which includes meat, meaty bones, and organs.

Mine has a high metabolism and eats 3 pounds a day, but this is unusual.

Last edited by Sunflowers; 07-20-2014 at 05:58 PM.
Sunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2014, 07:31 AM   #6 (permalink)

Default Skinny GSD

[QUOTE=WirelessG;5790658] chicken, thigh or back bone, ground beef, canned mackerel, rice, green beans, carrots, and from time to time cottage cheese and yogurt as toppings. I fills out at 16 oz container 100%. Previously I was feeding him 1.5 lbs/day. And he always gets an evening snack - 1/4 to 1/3 lb of some sort of meat.
/QUOTE]

I would get rid of the rice. Cottage cheese can be high in sodium go easy on that. Where are the organs(liver, kidney, spleen, thymus, testes ect) ? Even a BARF diet contains organs if that is what you are going for? Also much more variety as he can handle and you can possibly afford duck, pork, venison, rabbit, goat, buffalo, turkey, ect

Also a picture would be great side view.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the comments, all. I post these pictures, but they simply don't show what I see in real life. You won't see his ribs in the pictures, but you would see them on my deck. It'll be hard to see how his stomach looks sucked in in the pictures, but you would see it on my deck. And his hip bones tend to stick out a little, but when you feel them, they are very pronounced.

Maybe I'm making too big of a deal out of this, but he's my little buddy.

And he's as handsome as can be with a delightful friendliness towards people (but not dogs).
Attached Thumbnails
Skinny GSD-img_2343.jpg   Skinny GSD-img_2344.jpg   Skinny GSD-img_2345.jpg   Skinny GSD-img_2346.jpg   Skinny GSD-img_2347.jpg  

Skinny GSD-img_2348.jpg  
Old 07-24-2014, 10:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

I dont feed my dog RAW, but when i saw the title, skinny dog...i had to put my 2 cents in..the other post was correct...please test for EPI, my GSD was diagnosed 2.5 months ago...you probably feel the need to feed more because the ribs are showing...it just makes matters worse....how is the poop?....if its like cowpatties and its just blobby, not trying to be gross could be SIBO which could mean an under lying cause of EPI. Its an expensive blood test....also check out EPI4DOGS.com...wealth of info or message me....

EPI dogs need a grain free diet and all their food have to be covered with an enzyme. Digestion starts in the bowl...the food must sit for a minimum of 20 minutes before being fed. Its not easy, but once you get into a routine, its totally doable.

The dog may also have low B12, so he may need shots, we just finished our 6 week course and now have to keep an eye on the numbers.

Lorraine

to let you know she was at 60.4 lbs...she is now at 70.8 lbs....
Abbey'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2014, 11:04 AM   #9 (permalink)

Looks fine to me

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Alice13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2014, 03:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

Abbey'sMom, can you post some pics of her, like the pics I posted of my dog? The pics that I posted of my dog look okay to me, but I think that's just the effect of the camera. I would like to see how your pics match up against mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.