German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   B.A.R.F./Raw Feeding (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/b-r-f-raw-feeding/)
-   -   Allie wont eat (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/b-r-f-raw-feeding/469730-allie-wont-eat.html)

kmaldona 07-11-2014 08:58 PM

Allie wont eat

So Allie is a little over 2 years old and right at a healthy weight or a little on skinny side. She is pretty active and loves playing chase and Frisbee. Problem is Allie does not like food. When we first got her the previous owners did not treat her right and had coordination issues and would not eat kibble. We then switched her to raw like 4 months ago.

We are always fighting with her to eat. We tried chicken (ground w/ bones, and also backs), turkey, and duck. She wont touch the turkey or duck and sometimes eats chicken. Most of the time she wont eat and has been known to go 4 days without eating when we would pick up her food after 20 minutes or so.

How do we get her to value food again. She has no food drive but insane ball and frisbee drive.

Today I put out her ground with a piece of chicken back in it. She took out the large chicken back bone and placed in on the sheet under her bowl and then wrapped the sheet around it and then left.

Sometimes she will eat if it has peanut butter in it, sometimes if it has a little warm water, sometimes with egg. But sometimes it dont matter what we do.

With Raw meaty bones she used to chew the whole bone and eat it now she just rips off meat and does not chew bones. Tried ribs, legs, necks, tails, etc..

Her teeth look fine and she is in good spirits. She does have separation anxiety but even when I stay in the same room she does not eat.

Tips???

Myah's Mom 07-12-2014 02:17 AM

I'm not sure, but I think a good veterinary exam is in order, including physical exam, dental exam, blood work and stool sample.

If all is healthy, then perhaps it is behavior. Others more experienced will chime in, but I say a healthy dog will eventually eat when hungry. A dog testing you may act picky and delight in all the things you go through to "try" to get it to eat. It may be a game and she is winning.

If so, then put out quality food at regular times, call her to eat and have her sit before you put her food down - and if she walks away, take it away. Then do the same thing at the next scheduled time. If she's healthy, she'll eat by the end of Day 2, I would think. Myah tried this for a while...thinking I was some short order cook or something. HA! No, no no.....;)

But again, others here may have more experience with this issue.

flynbyu2 07-12-2014 02:31 AM

Do you have any other dogs in the house?

Our shepherd isn't crazy about meal time either. We use our black lab as a "Food Coach".

I pull a handful of kibble out of our GSD's food bowl and feed it to the lab. The possessive nature of the GSD kicks in and she jumps in and licks the bowl clean.

If she walks away, I pull a few more kibble out and give them to the lab which gets the GSD back on track.

Lwilley 07-12-2014 07:23 AM

Have you tried sprinkling the food with cheese? We sprinkled our dogs for with Italian cheeses and she ate it right away

kmaldona 07-12-2014 08:32 AM

we dont really want to give her cheese. I think the peanut butter made her picky but now she wont eat it all.

lyssa62 07-12-2014 12:28 PM

Roxy goes through spells of not caring about meal time. The vet has told me not to worry about it...dogs will eat when they are hungry. As long as everything else is in check.
I can't keep begging her to eat. Or bribing her. I waste more food by dumping broth on it or wet food when she obviously isn't hungry. I am also finding when it's hot like this she eats less. ( kind of like humans)....she usually eats a noon (ish) meal and a later evening meal...(wants to eat after our long walk)..... I put the food down in a measured bowl so I know what is being consumed and then let her eat when she's hungry.