German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   B.A.R.F./Raw Feeding (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/b-r-f-raw-feeding/)
-   -   Digestive Issues on Raw (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/b-r-f-raw-feeding/468034-digestive-issues-raw.html)

marshies 07-07-2014 03:16 PM

Digestive Issues on Raw

Hi All,

I've been feeding Puppy raw for about a year. She's had phenomenal poop until quite recently. I'm not entirely sure when these issues started, but I'd estimate about a month.

1. She's had a few accidents in the house. When she does, the poop is messy and goopy and not well-formed. If I feed her a bonier diet the next day, they firm up significantly.

2. Yesterday I fed her a whole chicken. Later in the day, she had diarrhea and puked up the chicken. The chicken had a lot of chunks in it still.

3. Sometimes, I starve her for a day and feed her more the next day.

What can I do to improve? I haven't changed the staples of her diet or the source. I can try:

1. Feeding probiotic yogurt
2. Feeding pumpkin
3. Feeding coconut oil

I am also thinking of switching back to kibble for a while, especially since she'll be boarded for a month.

What do you guys think is the cause?

I took her to the vet yesterday. Vet didn't test poop, but did overall wellness check. Her temps are good, she is active, perky, and normal.

DonnaKay 07-07-2014 09:05 PM

I'm curious. Why do you starve her for a day? I would feel horrible not giving my girl anything to eat for a whole day.

I don't feed raw (looking into it, though) so I can't offer any suggestions for you. I was just wondering about the starving part.

marshies 07-08-2014 11:10 AM

There are some schools of thought were fasting mimics their natural feeding habits - that's the sciency answer.

For us, it's because Puppy doesn't eat when I'm not home. Sometimes I don't come home until very late at night. At that point, she's pretty sleepy and doesn't really want to wake up to eat a large meal. So I just hold on and give it to her in the morning.

Sunflowers 07-08-2014 11:14 AM

In our case, we ended up not being able to feed chicken anymore.

You may have to go to another protein.

lalachka 07-08-2014 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonnaKay (Post 5746010)
I'm curious. Why do you starve her for a day? I would feel horrible not giving my girl anything to eat for a whole day.

I don't feed raw (looking into it, though) so I can't offer any suggestions for you. I was just wondering about the starving part.

I fast mine too every now and then. Actually he didn't eat yesterday (treats only)
It's healthy for them. It's also healthy for us. I've gone for a week or two without eating so I don't feel bad doing it to my dog at all.

qbchottu 07-08-2014 11:28 AM

I would get her on Earthborn Coastal catch, add salmon and coconut, limit treats to grain free, watch if she's getting into anything, and run a fecal

qbchottu 07-08-2014 11:29 AM

I fast everyone about once a week - except preg, lactating, or sick dogs. Search the forum for a previous discussion as to why some fast

LaRen616 07-08-2014 11:43 AM

I am so confused.

I don't understand how not eating for a week or two is healthy for a human being? I would think that would have the opposite effect and there is no way in heck I could go more than a day without getting sick.

I could never withold food from my dogs for a day. First of all they would both be incredibly annoying and would cry, beg and probably raid the cabinets when I am not looking. Second, both dogs start gagging and throw up when they haven't eaten for 12 hours.

qbchottu 07-08-2014 11:57 AM

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...less-days.html

Discussion as to why.

Ace GSD 07-08-2014 12:33 PM

Wow good thing this came up !! I stumbled over this article today about fasting 1 day a week for your german shepherd..idk how it works on dog but .. when i was working out i do intermittent fasting 3 days a week thats 16 hrs fasting 3 days a week and my stomach feels great, no bloating and i have more energy. Have anyone here actually tried this on their dog and know for a fact that its beneficial ?