German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   B.A.R.F./Raw Feeding (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/b-r-f-raw-feeding/)
-   -   Things that only RAW feeders understand (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/b-r-f-raw-feeding/464769-things-only-raw-feeders-understand.html)

blackshep 06-27-2014 11:11 AM

Things that only RAW feeders understand

Someone got upset that I posted on FB about how one time I had nothing to eat for supper so I thawed out some of my dog's food and put it on the BBQ.

She told me I had problems if I only had my dog's food to eat. lol I guess she didn't understand that I simply meant I'd forgotten to get groceries on the way home and didn't feel like making the 30 minute drive back into town.

What can I say, chicken quarters were on sale the week before at the grocery store and I'd stocked up. :blush:

It was delicious after marinading in lime/jalapeno/cilantro marinade and put on the charcoal BBQ with some veggies and a nice glass of sauvignon blanc! :laugh:

Ha ha

Jax08 06-27-2014 11:16 AM

:rofl:

Did you offer her dinner?

blackshep 06-27-2014 11:17 AM

No, she didn't seem very pleasant. It would have been a waste of perfectly good wine. lol

Sunflowers 06-27-2014 11:32 AM

:spittingcoffee:

Hans eats veal. I swear, he eats better than we do!

Description (From mypetcarnivore.com)
5 LB. deli container! This product is made from the whole calf with meat, organs and bones together. Artisanally butchered, coarse ground and fresh frozen by Schoenborn Family Farms with optimal nutrition for your pets in mind.
These Michigan cows are 1 - 7 days old, healthy males from dairy stock. They have been milk-fed. Very young meat source makes for softer, more digestible bones. Very, very lean (about 1% fat!).

Castlemaid 06-27-2014 11:43 AM

LOL! I've done the same! I don't tell people it's 'dog food', but my dogs eat better than I do!

Castlemaid 06-27-2014 11:43 AM

I also had someone give me some grass-fed beef "for the dogs". I didn't tell them that I saved half of it for myself!

Pax8 06-27-2014 11:53 AM

I've gotten odd looks from friends when I told them I can't come over a certain day because it's "organ bagging day". I even have it on the calendar in my phone. :D I think they're finally getting used to the idea of it.

Traveler's Mom 06-27-2014 12:02 PM

I don't care for lamb but a coworker was telling me yesterday how she loves it but it's so expensive. I didn't tell her that Traveler had lamb for dinner last night:blush:

lhczth 06-27-2014 12:05 PM

I get lamb for the dogs directly from the breeder and I get it for significantly cheaper than what they charge at the grocery store. I could just eat theirs. LOL

Something else non raw feeders don't understand is how much thought we put into feeding our dogs. So much easier to just scoop kibble out of a bag.

Pax8 06-27-2014 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhczth (Post 5699569)
I get lamb for the dogs directly from the breeder and I get it for significantly cheaper than what they charge at the grocery store. I could just eat theirs. LOL

Something else non raw feeders don't understand is how much thought we put into feeding our dogs. So much easier to just scoop kibble out of a bag.

Haha, I had a customer at the store who came up asking me to tell him how to feed prey model raw because he wanted to feed raw, but the premade was too expensive. His eyes nearly rolled into the back of his head when I talked to him about figuring out a proper nutrient profile for my dog and cobbling it together out of the meats, bones, and organs available to me as well as filling out any possible gaps with supplements. And of course trialing different supplements, meats, and combinations to see which ones had the best effects. And then just the general figuring out which proportions worked best for my dog and butchering and packaging groups of meat to fill those portions.

He was flabbergasted that I would go through so much trouble finding meat and that there wasn't just a "meat store" that sold everything I needed. :rolleyes: Nooot so much.

Needless to say, he stuck with his dry food. If he had actually been serious, I would have spent more time with him. But apparently he was more just trying to show off that he had a vague idea of what a raw diet was.