German Shepherds Forum banner

I Might be Able to Make this Raw Thing Work!

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  CharlieB.Barkin 
#1 ·
I never though that I would be able to feed my dogs raw, but I just realized that I drive past a slaughter house 10 times a week on my way to and from school. It's about 20 minutes from where I live which is pretty convenient in a rural area.

I would imagine that's that place to go if you're going to feed raw. I kind of need a crash course though. Are there any solid guidelines to follow. Any reputable resources? Any advice?

I've never actually been inside, but I'll try to pay a visit soon.

#4 ·
Kind of a long video, but is this a good guide to be following?

How do you provide your dog with a bit of variety? Do you ever give them fruit? I didn't see any bones is that recipe, so how would you incorporate those?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHvPQtDyy90

How would you feed raw to a small breed like a toy poodle? Can you even give them bones?

#5 · (Edited)
Okay so I watches a very informative video series on Youtube about raw feeding and the prey diet and I took SuperG's recipe and I tried to run with it today.

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/b-r-f-raw-feeding/444450-good-idea.html

I only gave the vegetables and eggs a try today. I pureed broccoli, canned sweet peas, baby carrots, and spinach and I threw in an entire egg (15 grams of each vegetable for 1 meal). I poured that over the kibble and they seemed to like it (split between a German Shepherd and a toy poodle).

On my errand trip I stopped by the pet store to buy some pre-made raw food. Nature's Variety Frozen raw food costs $38 before tax for a 4 pound bag. No thanks.

I then went to by grocery store and bough some cheap meats. I came home with:
Chicken Legs B/A (May contain kidney) 1.1 kilo for $4.55. Price per Kilo: $4.14

Chicken Breast (Boneless)(Trimmed Fillet Removed) 0.192 kilo for $2.49. Price per kilo: $12.96

Turkey Wings 0.334 kilo for $1.17. Price per kilo: $3.51

Beef Bourguignon cubes 0.170 kilo for $3.37. Price per kilo: $19.82

Tilapia Fillet Boneless 0.206 kilo for $4.99. Price per kilo: $24.23

Beef Liver 0.572 kilo for $3.14. Price per kilo: $5.49

I bough this from the meat section at my local grocery store. The chicken legs B/A came from a different farmer's market style store. I bought all of this meat for an experiment but I'm only going to use about 5% of it. I figured that the timing is perfect because I would like to try out raw feeding. How exactly would I go about feeding these meats? They're all sitting in the freezer currently, and have been there for approximately 4 hours at the time of this post. I read that you want to freeze meat for at least 48 hours if you intend to feed it raw.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.