German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   B.A.R.F./Raw Feeding (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/b-r-f-raw-feeding/)
-   -   Is this a Good idea ? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/b-r-f-raw-feeding/444450-good-idea.html)

Strypher 04-30-2014 02:27 AM

Is this a Good idea ?

If my gsd eats 14 pounds a week can't I just decide how much to feed each week by splitting it into percentages . Sorry if that don't make sense lol but if I'm doing 50-45-5% then for example I'll do each week
50%(RMB) of 14 pounds = 7 pounds
45% (MM) of 14 pounds = 6.3 pounds
5%(om) of 14 pounds = 7 ounces
Would that eating plan work ? Where I'm feeding her exactly what she needs not too much or little .

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

SuperG 04-30-2014 10:30 AM

If I am understanding your question correctly....I don't see why each and every meal needs to be balanced with the %s you have chosen for a healthy raw diet. I know I have read that the overall %s should be adhered to over a period of time not necessarily every day or meal. However, I know if I were to give my dog her organ requirements in 1-3 larger portions over a week, I would assume she might have a case of the runs. Same with giving her a weeks worth of bone requirements in 1-3 servings...her stools would be crispy. I also understand that diversity/variety in a raw fed dog's diet is a good thing, so different sources for RMB, MM and OM is a plus. Using your idea would make it easier to have this variety I believe.

I most likely do not have this variety for my dog's diet as I prepare batches which will last 20 days...the next batch I make will be different than the previous but for 20 days she eats pretty much the same ingredients.

I'm not sure I came remotely close to addressing your question...sorry

SuperG

Strypher 04-30-2014 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperG (Post 5452225)
If I am understanding your question correctly....I don't see why each and every meal needs to be balanced with the %s you have chosen for a healthy raw diet. I know I have read that the overall %s should be adhered to over a period of time not necessarily every day or meal. However, I know if I were to give my dog her organ requirements in 1-3 larger portions over a week, I would assume she might have a case of the runs. Same with giving her a weeks worth of bone requirements in 1-3 servings...her stools would be crispy. I also understand that diversity/variety in a raw fed dog's diet is a good thing, so different sources for RMB, MM and OM is a plus. Using your idea would make it easier to have this variety I believe.

I most likely do not have this variety for my dog's diet as I prepare batches which will last 20 days...the next batch I make will be different than the previous but for 20 days she eats pretty much the same ingredients.

I'm not sure I came remotely close to addressing your question...sorry

SuperG

Yes you answered it. The way your diet plan works is not a bad idea . If you don't mind can you tell me the batch your gsd eating now

SuperG 04-30-2014 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strypher (Post 5452689)
Yes you answered it. The way your diet plan works is not a bad idea . If you don't mind can you tell me the batch your gsd eating now

Okay ...no laughing....it's no prey model diet.

10 lbs Chunked Beef
10 lbs Chunked Beef heart
10 lbs chicken necks..skinless
10 lbs ground green tripe
5 lbs ground salmon
1 lbs each carrots, peas, broccoli and spinach...all pureed in the food processor.
18 raw eggs put through blender with about a dozen vitamin C pills
5 lbs organ...2 1/2 lbs beef liver, 1 lb beef spleen and 1 1/2 lbs beef kidney...all pureed.

I mix this all together in one of my beer brewing buckets and then load up a bunch of Tupperware containers ...about 3-4 lbs in each...put in chest freezer and am good to go for about a month or less.

She gets this twice a day. I also give her either a chicken leg quarter, calf shank bone or a beef trachea section stuffed with ground heart, bone meal, green tripe and ground beef for lunch...or a section of beef tail..maybe 4-6 inches. Lunch is the only meal which has variance as the 50 lb concoction I make is her normal meal twice per day.

If I think her bone intake is too low based on her stool, I will add some bone meal to her 2 meals a day or give her more calf shank bones. The calf shank bones are soft enough for her to chew up without much effort.

I also throw a 400IU capsule of vitamin E in her dinner about 2-4 times a week. She'll get a blob of yogurt on every other dinner as well, ......and I put a teaspoon plus of Mother Bragg's raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar in her dinners most every night.

It's a lot easier than it sounds and the main reason it so easy to deal with is...the cost. I found a source out in the country...about an hour and half drive where I get most all this stuff incredibly cheap. 40-50 cents a pound for most everything I mentioned. I don't think you can buy crappy dog food for under 50 cents a pound.

SuperG