German Shepherds Forum banner

Getting scraps from the butcher

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Lauri & The Gang 
#1 ·
I was calling around for a butcher to sauve me scraps for a cheaper raw source. One butcher told me hate saves the scraps and outs that in a box which is awesome cause its cheap and get a variety. Someone mentioned to me they kibg put some things like smoked ham and stuff that could be cooked or have seasoning in it. Has anyone done the whole mixed scraps things and what's your thoughts on getting some cooked and seasoned meats in with the completely raw? I would think there would still be more completely raw that it shouldn't matter too much to get a little bit mixed in but I'm still new at this so any help is appreciated! Thanks

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#3 ·
I think if the butcher knows you're looking for only raw scraps, and that you're feeding it to your dog so you can't have anything cooked or spiced, you should be OK. You should be able see the difference between raw and cooked, I think. He's not talking about grinding everything up together, is he? That would be a different story! I think you probably shouldn't give your dog anything with spices on it, though. Good luck!

#4 ·
As far as getting cooked/smoked/seasoned meats and how bad is that - it all depends on your dog. Of my 7 dogs, six could handle a minor amount of that stuff with no problem. My Corgi mix, she will get serious ear infections if she has anything seasoned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.