Going from prepared meals to home 'cooked' - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2014, 10:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Going from prepared meals to home 'cooked'

So, I'm fairly new to feeding raw (about a year) and started out feeding a commercially prepared diet, because I was afraid of not balancing it properly.

Anyway, over the last few months, I've been mixing in things like chicken backs etc, for the chewing/teeth cleaning aspect.

I've started buying things like beef heart and doing it myself, but I'm still nervous about doing it properly. (This is for my beef meals that I started, I still have to make up meal with other proteins)

My dog eats roughly 800g (this would be on the low side, she might get a bit more if she's looking lean) a day of food, split into two meals.

So I've portioned out a chicken back, beef heart, beef liver and beef kidney for her meals, supplemented with herring oil and Vit E. Does this sound ok?

My problem is, the chicken backs seem to be more bone than meat. Also, the chicken backs weight about 225g, and I've worked out that they should be more like 180g. So how do I get the RMB amount right without overfeeding my dog? Do chicken backs count more like pure bone? There isn't much meat on them, I find. Should I then only feed one per day, vs at both meals? Does beef heart have enough fat? It looks lean.

Also, should I cut the beef heart into smaller pieces? I gave her the whole chunk thinking she'd chew it more, but she pretty much gulped it down whole.

For a different protein choice, is chicken quarters pretty much the right amount of RMB and MM, just need to add organ meat?

blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2014, 01:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

I just make sure the % of muscle meat and bone is balanced over the week. My dog is a year old and typically gets 1 lb. of beef/chicken or turkey (boneless for breakfast) with only a small amount of organ meat once a day (2-3 ounces) then dinner he gets a pound of either chicken quarters, chicken necks or turkey necks for bone. Feed him yogurt at each meal (plain/lowfat greek). Occasionally he'll get a raw beef bone during the week just for chewing. He's very active so he's getting just about 3% of his weight in food per day he's lean and healthy. Seems to work for us and he's been on this diet since he was 11 weeks old.
LoriH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2014, 09:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Ok, that's a good idea. I think I was getting hung up on it being balanced each day.

Do you consider the chicken backs to be straight bone or RMB?
Old 03-20-2014, 10:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

Chicken backs are considered bone.
LoriH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2014, 03:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Oh Jeeze! So they should only be 10%?
Old 03-21-2014, 10:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Chicken backs are Raw Meaty Bones. Some have more meat than others but they are NOT just bone.

I don't follow the whole "10% bone" rule because it's too difficult to figure the amount of ACTUAL bone.

I feed 45% of their diet in Raw Meaty Bones, 50% of their diet in Muscle Meat (no bones) and 5% Organ Meat.

When I feed chicken backs I tend to decrease the amount of them and increase the muscle meat for the day because they are more bone-y than other RMBs.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.