German Shepherds Forum banner

Need help!!

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  sembry 
#1 ·
So I've had my girl on raw for exactly 3 weeks now started on Sunday April 23. Yesterday I came home from work and she had diarrhea all over the porch with a little solid spots in the liquid and she hasn't has any diarrhea issues since we've started the diet. I have read that when the"detox" is over they will have a big nasty watery liquid poop so I thought ok no biggie she is probably just rounding the end of her detox and on to the healing but then today she had diarrhea again but completely nothing but liquid so I'm concerned. Should I be concerned or is this normal?? Please help I don't want my baby to get sick just wondering if anyone else had seen this or heard of this happening to others?? Thanks for any and all help!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#3 ·
Icky poop can be so many things. If it's never happened before then I would at least call the vet and make sure there is water available so she doesn't dehydrate.

#5 ·
When and what did she eat last? Could be a blockage?

I would rest her gut for 24 hours(limit water intake to small amounts) and get some slippery elm bark capsules. After the fast, start a bland diet of cooked burger or chicken and double boiled rice, canned pure pumpkin. Give 2 caps of the SE mixed into a spoonful of yogurt, cooked scrambled egg or pumkin a half hour before you feed...do that for several meals. Consult your vet, but be warned they will probably blame the diet for the gut issue. I'd not start back on raw for a few days after being on the bland diet.
Also make sure you aren't over feeding and that you are feeding a good balance of meat/bone/organ(but not much organ!)

#6 ·
Both my Shepherds, my golden and my pomeranian did the same thing when we switched them over. You would have thought they were dying. Layed around threw up yellow sputem, explosive water butt. We had actually mixed in two much new raw meats to soon. We went back to straight chicken thighs and the problem got better. One day they all sat up and acted like brand new dogs.

#9 ·
I'd go with 2 meals a day...sometimes the larger portions are harder to digest than smaller, especially during the transition phase. Mackarel is usually packed in China or Taiwan. I'm really leary of feeding fish from those countries. Sardines that are canned in Canada(Brunswick brand) may be a better option? I'm a bit paranoid when it comes to fish and the farmed stuff is not worth feeding at all.

#11 ·
Just started raw not long ago too. Never had to deal with diarrhea at all.

I bought the sardines from Canada and my girl gobbled them up. I noticed a lot of canned sardines were from all over the place. I just figured Canada might be safer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.