German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   B.A.R.F./Raw Feeding (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/b-r-f-raw-feeding/)
-   -   How long to leave food out to feed dog (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/b-r-f-raw-feeding/425834-how-long-leave-food-out-feed-dog.html)

kmaldona 03-17-2014 08:47 PM

How long to leave food out to feed dog

I am feeding my dog raw for the first time. Its ground up chicken backs. She is slowly licking it / eating it. How long can she munch on it? Can I leave it out several hours?

Thanks

Harry and Lola 03-17-2014 10:03 PM

Yes several hours is perfectly fine:)

kmaldona 03-18-2014 02:43 AM

For example can I leave her raw food out for 4-5 hours?

wolfy dog 03-18-2014 10:31 AM

If they leave it alone I take it away and put it in the fridge for their next meal time.
As long as they are interested in it, I let them keep it. That way you are getting a break too. :)

lhczth 03-18-2014 10:31 AM

Personally I might give her 1/2 hour and if she didn't eat it, I would pick it up and save it for dinner. Normally I only give them 15 minutes.

blackshep 03-18-2014 10:38 AM

I think I'd give her a couple of hours, as long as she's trying. It can take them a bit of time to figure out how to eat the raw, I'm sure once she gets the hang of it, she'll eat a bit faster. She might think it's a recreational bone at the moment.

Maybe try something a little easier to get through, like a chicken neck, frozen sardine etc until she gets the hang of it?

RubyTuesday 03-18-2014 11:06 AM

Quote:

Personally I might give her 1/2 hour and if she didn't eat it, I would pick it up and save it for dinner. Normally I only give them 15 minutes.
How often have you had to do that? I'm betting not often. Most of mine were adults the 1st time they were fed RAW & they took to it like wolves to rabbit, lol.

Now, for whatever reason, my older pack took 20" deciding to eat a raw turkey liver. IF there hadn't been the competition of multiple dogs I'm not certain any of them would have eaten it! Raw hearts & gizzards they gulped down. Cooked liver they loved, but that raw liver just didn't hold any appeal. I'm not even sure which one finally ate the stupid thing. This bunch (including Sam, now deceased) has never hesitated over raw liver though they initially loooked & loooked & looooked at turkey testicles before deciding they really were edible. They seemed puzzled rather than disgusted, perhaps b/c they weren't bloody. (I was supposed to get livers & there was a packaging error.)

Kmaldona, I'm curious...Why are the chicken backs ground up? Are they freshly ground or pre-ground? I wouldn't give her more than 20-30". IF she doesn't finish them calmly pick up, refrigerate & serve again later. Increasing hunger will help her overcome any reluctance she has.

lhczth 03-18-2014 04:36 PM

I have a one that won't eat rabbit. I tried twice, she wouldn't eat it, picked it up and she went hungry. If it was a regular staple I would continue to try, but, since it is rare that I buy rabbit, I just feed her something different.

kmaldona 03-18-2014 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubyTuesday (Post 5222194)
How often have you had to do that? I'm betting not often. Most of mine were adults the 1st time they were fed RAW & they took to it like wolves to rabbit, lol.

Now, for whatever reason, my older pack took 20" deciding to eat a raw turkey liver. IF there hadn't been the competition of multiple dogs I'm not certain any of them would have eaten it! Raw hearts & gizzards they gulped down. Cooked liver they loved, but that raw liver just didn't hold any appeal. I'm not even sure which one finally ate the stupid thing. This bunch (including Sam, now deceased) has never hesitated over raw liver though they initially loooked & loooked & looooked at turkey testicles before deciding they really were edible. They seemed puzzled rather than disgusted, perhaps b/c they weren't bloody. (I was supposed to get livers & there was a packaging error.)

Kmaldona, I'm curious...Why are the chicken backs ground up? Are they freshly ground or pre-ground? I wouldn't give her more than 20-30". IF she doesn't finish them calmly pick up, refrigerate & serve again later. Increasing hunger will help her overcome any reluctance she has.

They are ground up because that's how my specialty store sells them. They either do 40 lbs of ground up chicken backs of 2 hole chicken backs for 30 bucks. Should I have done the whole backs?

kmaldona 03-18-2014 05:31 PM

This morning my girlfriend put a bit of her oatmeal (dogs favorite snack) mixed with the raw and the dog ate it all quick.