German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   B.A.R.F./Raw Feeding (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/b-r-f-raw-feeding/)
-   -   Bought my first turkey neck but nervous to give it to my dog... (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/b-r-f-raw-feeding/424034-bought-my-first-turkey-neck-but-nervous-give-my-dog.html)

katdog5911 03-13-2014 10:25 PM

Bought my first turkey neck but nervous to give it to my dog...

So after Stella doing very well on pre made raw, I want to add in some other stuff. I bought a turkey neck a few days ago but am terrified to give it to her to eat. I keep worrying about obstructions or pieces of bone getting stuck in her throat.

I was also wondering....I have some old meat in my freezer. I am not going to use it for human consumption at this point, but was wondering if Stella could eat it?

KZoppa 03-13-2014 10:28 PM

I feed raw treats. My dogs love turkey necks, especially frozen! your dog should be fine. as for the meat in your freezer, I don't really see why you couldn't give it to her.

mego 03-13-2014 10:33 PM

all the meat I accidentally leave in the fridge for too long or gets too freezer burned goes to the dog ;) never had a problem (or a complaint from her lol)

meat digests really well. Wouldn't worry about an obstruction. I like to thaw mine out just in case she tries to gulp it, its easier to chew and pull chunks off that way

Harry and Lola 03-13-2014 10:36 PM

Don't worry about the turkey neck.

The first time Harry had a chicken wing, he was only a puppy, he swallowed it whole!!!

All was ok, the digestive juices must of worked overtime though.

He has since learned the joys of the chewing, pulling, ripping and gnawing on meaty bones.

boomer11 03-13-2014 10:37 PM

Any bones are safe for your dog as long as they are raw and are not weight bearing bones from large animals like any part of a cows leg. Those are hard enough to crack a dogs teeth.

SuperG 03-13-2014 10:37 PM

I've seen dogs take part of a chicken quarter or meaty bone and stash it for later enjoyment....I'm sure a bit of freezer burn will not lessen your dog's enjoyment of food in the slightest.

I appreciate your concern regarding Stella actually crunching a bony piece of meat and swallowing it without any problems......I'm guessing she will do fine but if for your own peace of mind...read up on what to do if a dog should ever have an obstruction in their mouth or throat.....it could happen many ways other than simply feeding. Determine if your dog is a chewer or a gulper or a happy combination of both and proceed accordingly....I am amazed at how quickly my bottomless pit can devour a chicken quarter...a turkey neck would be an appetizer.

Even though I am much more at ease feeding my dog raw bony items...I still monitor....

SuperG

Saphire 03-14-2014 12:04 AM

I feed my dog turkey necks on a regular basis, both frozen and thawed with no issues. He has been eating these since he was 8 weeks old.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

katdog5911 03-14-2014 02:17 PM

I think tomorrow I will give it to her. I will be home all day and can make myself feel better by watching her.

I just fed her some canned sardines for the first time. She LOVED them. I bought the ones in water, product of Canada. How many can she eat? How often?

I noticed too, some gizzards and hearts in the meat part of the store. Are those ok to feed? Is supermarket meat ok for her to eat raw?

She had her first raw egg yesterday....very amusing.

At the moment I am using pre made raw but I am trying to bring down the cost by using other forms of meat.....

Sunflowers 03-14-2014 02:44 PM

Look at her teeth.
Give her that turkey neck.

SuperG 03-14-2014 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katdog5911 (Post 5200186)
I noticed too, some gizzards and hearts in the meat part of the store. Are those ok to feed? Is supermarket meat ok for her to eat raw?

Gizzards and hearts are fine as well.. For such a small organ, a chicken gizzard is high in protein and contains iron, minerals, and vitamins C, E and B. They contain glucosamine, which can help with cartilage and arthritis problems. Limit chicken gizzards to no more than 20 percent of your dog’s diet, because they are also high in cholesterol.

Ummmm...supermarket meat is probably better than the meat that's in the pre-made raw you are feeding her now.

Let us know how much your pooch enjoyed those turkey necks after she crunches them down.

SuperG