German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   B.A.R.F./Raw Feeding (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/b-r-f-raw-feeding/)
-   -   How long have you fed raw? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/b-r-f-raw-feeding/421145-how-long-have-you-fed-raw.html)

Flutter 03-08-2014 08:01 AM

How long have you fed raw?

1. How long have you fed raw for each of your dogs?
2. How has your dog done over this time?

robk 03-08-2014 08:24 AM

I have been feeding raw for going on two years. My dogs do great. My 3 year old was switched to 100% raw at 13 months. My 9 month old pup was weened straight to raw. She is robustly healthy. The first year of my males life was full of vet visits for loose stools and dry itchy skin. He shed a lot and smelled bad. I bounced around different brands of grain free kibble before switching to raw. To be fair, though, he did very well on Acana until one day he just up and refused to eat it anymore. I was baffled. Instead of trying yet another brand I just thawed out a bag of chicken quarters and gave 100% raw a try. His health issues cleared up and He finally started gaining some weight (he was always a very thin, frail dog).

Mikelia 03-08-2014 09:24 AM

I have been feeding raw to my four dogs for just over a year now and they are all doing great. My one gsd had major digestion issues, tried many many foods and could never solve it. Raw solved it. My senior pit bull has stopped growing mast cell tumors. It did not fix my border collies ear infection problem though - although it did solve her constant stink dog waxy coat issue. And my other GSD was healthy before hand and is still healthy but with richer colour to his coat and better muscle tone.

lhczth 03-08-2014 10:29 AM

I have fed raw for 15 years. My 5 were weaned onto raw and have never eaten kibble. Have raised many puppies raw and weaned 6 litters to raw.

They do very well.

Flutter 03-08-2014 11:35 AM

Thanks everyone! It's nice to hear from people who have had success feeding it for years.

We were feeding raw but couldn't keep up with the allergies even on raw. Switched to HP kibble and are pursuing several different kinds of allergy tests so we can just move on from this ****. Our goal is to switch back to raw once this HP food is done and we know what he can and can't have. Unfortunately, other than beef and cooked poultry all of his food issues are intolerances and are taking weeks to show up and weeks to go away. Intolerance testing will be best for him in the long term because even with very careful monitoring and recording of his diet we weren't able to narrow much down on months of food trials.

katdog5911 03-08-2014 03:57 PM

its been about a month. Still figuring things out.... So far I am liking what I see

Harry and Lola 03-08-2014 06:00 PM

Have always fed raw, but used to mix it with dry kibble.

Now, I feed dry kibble in the morning and only raw at night. I try to spread the feeds by about 11 to 12 hours because they digest dry and raw differently.

Flutter 03-08-2014 08:49 PM

How long is always?

katro 03-08-2014 08:58 PM

I've been feeding raw for almost a year now. He has done fantastic! He's interested in his food, skin and coat condition is great, eyes don't get goopy, ears aren't yeasty, and best of all his poop became normal!

GatorDog 03-08-2014 09:18 PM

About 2 years ish.
They all do great.