going raw or not... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2014, 11:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Red face going raw or not...

..that is the question

i think animals such as cats and dogs should eat raw food, like their wild relatives do. some cats still hunt birds and mice....

i haven't had the courage to give my cats raw meats... just a couple of times to see if they eat it. one did, the other wasn't too impressed. it was chicken on one occasion and fish on another occasion.

now, i don't recal giving anything raw to kali, though im sure she would eat it, as she eats anything. so far i gave her home cooked food and dry puppy food. her coat is super shiny and the vet said she looks fine. she's full of energy, she gains weight, so i think i did well so far.

i'm considering giving her a raw diet, maybe combined with her previous food. my concern is this; is it ok for her to eat only raw food? and how about the price difference? did you guys find it more expensive or cheaper than dog food?

any other piece of advice concerning the raw diet is welcomed.
Me_and_Kali is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2014, 12:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sehrgutcsg

If the animal is doing well, why change now ? For her to get better than well or great is a slight improvment. I am not the raw guy, per-se ..

I priced it out.

Kirkland .80 per pound. 40 lb. @ $30-
Ukanuba dry 1.40 per pound 33 lb @ $46-
Lotus raw $5.00 per pound retail
Chicken on sale .89 per pound
Rice is cheap.
Frozen veggies are cheap.
Olive oil is good.
Started coconut oil (thank the forum member's for that).
Starting digestive enzimes. Thank my vet.
Used montmorillonite clay with mixed stool results on puppy. Will continue.. (many different essential minerals, different from enzimes).
If you have a butcher shop that will sell you raw scraps for $.50 cents per pound, try only that for a week or two, many here swear by raw foods, I give a chicken heart raw every time I cook 12 pounds of my mix..

DOG FOOD MIX NUMBER TWO FEBUARY 27, 2014
10 QT. POT COVERED (LOW TEMPETURE
9:30 AM START - 1:00 PM FINISH

4 + POUNDS OF CHICKEN (FROZEN)

BONELESS BREAST
LEGS (BONE IN)
THIGHS (BONE IN)

12 - 1/4 CUPS OF WHITE RICE (3 CUPS)

2 - QUARTS OF WATER - ADD AN EXTRA HALF QUART WHEN NEEDED HIGH TEMP. UNTIL RICE ABSORBS WATER

24 - OUNCES PEAS AND CARROTS FROZEN MIXED (KROGER RALPHS FROZEN SECTION)

12 - OUNCES GREEN BEANS FROZEN (KROGER RALPHS - FROZEN SECTION)

4 - TABLE SPOONS OF OLIVE OIL

(NO SALT)

NO OTHER ADDITIVES

REMOVE ALL BONES, AFTER COOKED MASH WITH HAND MIXER CRUSHER.

TO BE MIXED LATER: WITH MOIST / DRY KIRKLAND COSTO CHICKEN AND RICE DOG FOOD. BURGANDY PACKAGE $30 WITH TAX FOR 40 POUNDS.

FREEZE - USE DATED ZIP LOCK BAGS. ABOUT 2 POUNDS EACH. YEILDS 12 POUNDS

ABOUT 25% MEAT

Doing well so far..

Last edited by sehrgutcsg; 03-05-2014 at 12:25 PM.
sehrgutcsg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2014, 01:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Raw is usually more expensive but worth it IMO. If you get good at sourcing suppliers and stocking up, it can work out about the same or cheaper than a high end kibble.

I would not mix the kibble and raw (they are digested differently), but go cold turkey (ha!) onto raw.

Most important thing is to balance it properly.

50% muscle meat
45% raw meaty bone
5% organ meat

Most people start with chicken, and don't feed organ meat for the first week or two, then gradually add it in. Then start giving your dog more variety, add beef or turkey, fish etc.

Lots of info here on what to feed and how much to feed.

Welcome to the Raw Dog Ranch

Dogs have no nutritional need for carbs, and kibble is packed full of it, as they need something starchy to bind the kibble together during extrusion process. One of the biggest culprits for causing diabetes and obesity in dogs too.

Another big thing is be clean about how you handle the meat. I feed my dog in a crate and wipe the tray with Lysol wipes, wash bowls after each feeding and wipe counters.

You can also get started with a commercially prepared raw diet (it's more expensive though, but I also find it a good way to help your dog change over to raw as the bone is ground. I found my dog's stomach acid needed a couple of weeks of raw feeding to get more acidic, kibble lowers the pH, before she digested bone properly. So having the bone ground was helpful) and start to change over to whole raw. Pretty much everyone I've convinced to try raw has never gone back to kibble, they've been so pleased.

blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2014, 01:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

We started raw a few weeks ago. At the moment I am buying pre made raw and it is much more expensive. About $3 a lb minimum. Considering my girl is eating about 2 lbs a day......

I am hoping to supplement with some "real" meat and cut down costs. I know some people do kibble as a meal, but I want to get away from kibble. I have been told NOT to mix raw and kibble but it is ok to give as separate meals.

We pretty much went cold turkey. Fed raw one meal, kibble that night, and then just raw. My girl threw up bile the first week or so. That seems to have stopped. I also have been giving yogurt, cottage cheese or cream cheese frozen as a snack. I add coconut oil and fish oil too.

I don't want to give up raw. Just have to find ways to bring down the cost!

My girl has been very itchy in the past....seems to be lessening....

Stella-GSD 6/17/11
Ruben-Newfie/? mix 7/2003
katdog5911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2014, 01:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

katdog, that is really expensive, I hope you can find a cheaper supplier in your area, but I'm sure if you can source a good meat supplier you can get those costs down. Glad it's working for you though!

PS, if you're feeding fish oil, make sure you supplement Vit E
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2014, 01:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshep View Post
katdog, that is really expensive, I hope you can find a cheaper supplier in your area, but I'm sure if you can source a good meat supplier you can get those costs down. Glad it's working for you though!

PS, if you're feeding fish oil, make sure you supplement Vit E
Vit E? Curious as to why.

Stella-GSD 6/17/11
Ruben-Newfie/? mix 7/2003
katdog5911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2014, 02:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katdog5911 View Post
Vit E? Curious as to why.
Metabolizing the fish oil depletes Vit. E - so if supplementing Fish oil, you need to also supplement with Vit. E.

I give a 400mg capsule every other day or so.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2014, 07:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

all this info is great guys. thank you so much. @sehrgutcsg, that recipe sounds yummy [for my babies] lol

i have yet to find a butcher. right here in my part of the city/downtown-ish there seems to be none, but i have relatives to live closer to a butcher or two.

i want to try the raw diet because i find the dog [and even the cat] food as packed with nasty stuff. i mean.. ash? really? and the dry food looks BIZARRE. and it gets at least twice as big when mixed with water, haha. who knows what it really contains.. the vet said is specially created... i bet just like the hotdogs [i get so sick after eating those, even if the seller says they're fresh and i cook them immediately as i get home].

but i derail. and i should have been more specific. when i said mixing raw and dog food, i meant it as alternating them.
Me_and_Kali is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2014, 08:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
Metabolizing the fish oil depletes Vit. E - so if supplementing Fish oil, you need to also supplement with Vit. E.

I give a 400mg capsule every other day or so.
Slightly dumb question but I've never given supplements and it seems strange to me, but do you just give them the usual vitamin capsule in their food? Or break it up ? Or buy a dog version ?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Mocha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2014, 08:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me_and_Kali View Post
..that is the question

i think animals such as cats and dogs should eat raw food, like their wild relatives do. some cats still hunt birds and mice....

i haven't had the courage to give my cats raw meats... just a couple of times to see if they eat it. one did, the other wasn't too impressed. it was chicken on one occasion and fish on another occasion.

now, i don't recal giving anything raw to kali, though im sure she would eat it, as she eats anything. so far i gave her home cooked food and dry puppy food. her coat is super shiny and the vet said she looks fine. she's full of energy, she gains weight, so i think i did well so far.

i'm considering giving her a raw diet, maybe combined with her previous food. my concern is this; is it ok for her to eat only raw food? and how about the price difference? did you guys find it more expensive or cheaper than dog food?

any other piece of advice concerning the raw diet is welcomed.
Look up "The Raw Feeding Community" on Facebook and join them, that's how I was convinced

Someone on this board recommended them and I'm glad I joined it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Mocha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.