German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   B.A.R.F./Raw Feeding (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/b-r-f-raw-feeding/)
-   -   Well I have finally got some green tripe (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/b-r-f-raw-feeding/417066-well-i-have-finally-got-some-green-tripe.html)

Harry and Lola 02-27-2014 05:34 AM

Well I have finally got some green tripe

Yes I finally found some, I have been looking for months and found a great vet clinic that sources all sort of disgusting things from a slaughterhouse.

So I bought 2 green tripe, one each for Lola and Harry, it is frozen.

I'm really trying to build myself up here and bring it out of the freezer to defrost for them tomorrow, but I know it is going to stink to high heaven.

So not looking forward to this, maybe I'll just leave it in my freezer for ever:crazy:

lhczth 02-27-2014 10:04 AM

Don't thaw it all the way. I only thaw it enough to be able to cut it. I have been getting my tripe from Blue Ridge Beef and it doesn't smell as awful as some of the previous brands I bought. I also wear gloves when i take the wrapping off. The smell does tend to stay if you use your bare hands.

onyx'girl 02-27-2014 10:10 AM

Last weekend I had the pleasure of cutting up a whole piece of green tripe. I was trying to get it at the point that it was semi-froze, yet easy enough to cut and grind up.
The things we do for our dogs! I did get 17# of ground tripe out of it(free!), but wow....disgusting isn't even the word for it.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...06493539_n.jpg

misslesleedavis1 02-27-2014 10:24 AM

Im sensitive to bad smells, green tripe does not bother me alot.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

misslesleedavis1 02-27-2014 10:27 AM

Now beef cheeks are a different story, they look like fat little maggots stuck in smelly meat. Kinda reminds me of the movie alien.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

blackshep 02-27-2014 10:30 AM

I agree with not thawing it the whole way! Makes it much less stinky!!

SuperG 02-27-2014 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry and Lola (Post 5099850)
Yes I finally found some, I have been looking for months and found a great vet clinic that sources all sort of disgusting things from a slaughterhouse.

So I bought 2 green tripe, one each for Lola and Harry, it is frozen.

I'm really trying to build myself up here and bring it out of the freezer to defrost for them tomorrow, but I know it is going to stink to high heaven.

So not looking forward to this, maybe I'll just leave it in my freezer for ever:crazy:

Well, Harry and Lola will be ever so appreciative of your recent purchase of green tripe. The green tripe I get doesn't look near as "nice" as the tripe pictures posted by onyx'girl...mine is probably much more disgusting due to the stomach contents were still there..chewed hay,grass etc....

The mistake I made the first time was taking it out of the plastic bagging and thawing it in the sink filled with water....the water turned a nasty color and the aroma was....well...a memorable one..LOL. I tried cutting mine as the chunks were rather large as I wanted to portion it out to my dog over a period of meals....it takes a very sharp knife to cut the stuff...I found it rather rubbery. The advice of wearing latex gloves is a very good idea provided by lhczth...the odor does seem to really hang in there for a period of time on one's hands.

Now when I deal with it, I just run it through a meat grinder I purchased just for the pooch's food and store it in smaller containers...and I do not rinse it any more.

I'll be curious to hear if Harry and Lola love the stuff as much as my gal does.

Ahhhhhhh...the lengths we go to to keep our shepherds happy.

SuperG

Sunflowers 02-27-2014 12:12 PM

Congratulations!

Just be sure to start with no more than a tablespoon. Tripe can give them the runs.

onyx'girl 02-27-2014 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperG (Post 5101906)
Well, Harry and Lola will be ever so appreciative of your recent purchase of green tripe. The green tripe I get doesn't look near as "nice" as the tripe pictures posted by onyx'girl...mine is probably much more disgusting due to the stomach contents were still there..chewed hay,grass etc....

The mistake I made the first time was taking it out of the plastic bagging and thawing it in the sink filled with water....the water turned a nasty color
and the aroma was....well...a memorable one..LOL. I tried cutting mine as the chunks were rather large as I wanted to portion it out to my dog over a period of meals....it takes a very sharp knife to cut the stuff...I found it rather rubbery. The advice of wearing latex gloves is a very good idea provided by lhczth...the odor does seem to really hang in there for a period of time on one's hands.

Now when I deal with it, I just run it through a meat grinder I purchased just for the pooch's food and store it in smaller containers...and I do not rinse it any more.

I'll be curious to hear if Harry and Lola love the stuff as much as my gal does.

Ahhhhhhh...the lengths we go to to keep our shepherds happy.

SuperG

My tripe also had grass in it. I didn't really rinse it. I did put it in the sink to cut it up, and yes the sink got clogged with grass, a few leaves and yuk.
Though the guy I got it from said he did rinse it some before he froze it.
I threw away about 2# of some silverskin, but nothing else was wasted.
I ground it and then blended it in a big container to make it more consistent, and I wore my rubbermaid gloves(which I threw away!) during the whole process. The smell wasn't as bad as the sight.

wolfy dog 02-27-2014 12:37 PM

Dogs absolutely love and thrive on this stuff so the smell doesn't bother me
I get a whole tripe (not rinsed) form a local butcher and it looks much darker green than the pictures in Onyx's post.
I cut it up in large chunks for the dogs to work on. For a litter I cut it up in longer strips and to see 10 puppies with their prey: hilarious!