How long does the "detox" last? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2014, 11:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question How long does the "detox" last?

I just started feeding raw on Sunday 2/23/14. What lead me to this diet was skin and smell issues. I have done lots of research and want to thank everyone because this site has been VERY helpful in helping make my mind up to switch and helped me with HOW to feed raw effectively and properly. For the past 6+ months I've been dealing with different types of infections of my girls skin which all started when we moved from KY to FL so I'm thinking it's related since that's when we noticed the problem and didn't have the problem before but that's besides the fact I've done everything under the sun within my power to help her like switching foods, grain free, holistic, different shampoos, ACV rinse, supplements very frequent bathing all very trying and stressful all the while my boyfriend keeps telling me I'm not a vet take her to a vet. I love research and have done a lot and just knew they would want to put her on an antibiotic for infection and probably steroids but I had gotten rid of the infection for the time being when I took her. Finally after completely stressing myself out I took her to the vet and I'm told she has allergies the thing no dog mom wants to hear cause in my research I've found there's no cure just maybe to "control" them. Vet tells me to put her on Zyrtec and hope it works but when you have a 30% chance it will work I'm not very optimistic considering nothing else has worked, mind you I have helped her a lot but she still itches and has sores and black elephant skin and missing patches of fur so haven't helped enough. So surprise Zyrtec doesn't help I just decide I'm doing whatever it takes and do more research especially on here. So far in 4 days we have decreased poop size A LOT and never any runny poops (yet) hope it stays that way but she's never been sensitive to changing foods at all before either. She's shedding a lot more which I knew was probably going to happen, and she's already getting rid of her dark tough skin in one spot right above her tail where she's missing a patch of fur when brushing I saw flaky skin and sure enough she has fresh pink/fleshy skin color where yesterday it was dark elephant skin. I'm really looking forward to more improvements because I know she's uncomfortable and she can't go anymore than 1 week without a bath at the most cause the itching gets so much worse and she stinks so much worse as the week goes on by the weekend it's a must that she gets a bath for her and our sake and she hates to go in the bathroom or see me get the hose lol poor thing she looks so pathetic when she knows it's bath time but she feels better to afterwards. She's also got some new spots recently on either side of her tail that are like open oozing gooy sticky stinky sores that only get bigger and are oozing and stinking more and I'm really hoping those heal up real soon cause right now that's her main source of her itching. Very glad to see some improvements already in such a short time and look forward to more improvements soon! I was just curious as to others experiences of how long the "detox" lasts like the increased shedding and itching lasts? It's all worth it just looking for a little encouragement and personal experiences from others like I said I love research and learning new things and feedback from others qualifies! Sorry for the lengthy story I've never been one for a short story. Thanks for all the feedback ahead of time.
sembry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2014, 11:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

I just wanted to attach some pics that show some of Kira's problem areas. It's really hard to see the gooy sticky oozing sore which is the first 3 pics, but you can see the hair all stuck together I feel so bad for her!!
Attached Thumbnails
How long does the "detox" last?-004.jpg   How long does the "detox" last?-005.jpg   How long does the "detox" last?-006.jpg   How long does the "detox" last?-007.jpg   How long does the "detox" last?-008.jpg  

How long does the "detox" last?-009.jpg  
Old 02-27-2014, 12:06 AM   #3 (permalink)

These are the good pics of the spot healing already you can see the flakes around the spot in the hair and actually see some of the old dark skin still there that hasn't flaked off yet, but most importantly the new fresh fleshy/pink skin is there and looking good compared to that old rough dark skin!
Attached Thumbnails
How long does the "detox" last?-010.jpg   How long does the "detox" last?-011.jpg   How long does the "detox" last?-012.jpg  
Old 02-27-2014, 12:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

go find out if this is malassezia Yeast Dermatitis in Dogs | Malassezia Dermatitis | VCA Animal Hospitals

get on to a good grain free , or raw food , diet .

Shampoo with an anti fungal shampoo -- Selsun Blue fortified is one.
Vetericyn applications are anti fungal.

Help the overall immune system by using digestive enzymes , to break down the food , and probiotics to restore or establish a beneficial gut flora , crowding out pathogenic bacteria and yeast , so that there is a proper balance.

Add MSM , which is an organic sulfur to the diet . Adding olive leaf powder to the diet is anti fungal.

Add essential fatty acids to the diet .

Vetericyn applied to remaining sore skin will help heal and encourage tissue growth.

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2014, 12:49 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
go find out if this is malassezia Yeast Dermatitis in Dogs | Malassezia Dermatitis | VCA Animal Hospitals

get on to a good grain free , or raw food , diet .

Shampoo with an anti fungal shampoo -- Selsun Blue fortified is one.
Vetericyn applications are anti fungal.

Help the overall immune system by using digestive enzymes , to break down the food , and probiotics to restore or establish a beneficial gut flora , crowding out pathogenic bacteria and yeast , so that there is a proper balance.

Add MSM , which is an organic sulfur to the diet . Adding olive leaf powder to the diet is anti fungal.

Add essential fatty acids to the diet .

Vetericyn applied to remaining sore skin will help heal and encourage tissue growth.

I just started her on RAW diet 4 days ago!! I use Selsun Blue along with her moisturizing shampoo after she gets a multi vitamin with enzymes and probiotics in it and yogurt and I have a similar skin treatment and tried many different grain free and holistic kibble foods. Thanks for the input but all that has been done already! I have exhausted all options that I came across in my research so that's y I am now trying the RAW diet that I just started on her. I wanted some input as to how long people have experienced the detox stage when they switched their fur babies to the RAW diet??
Old 02-27-2014, 01:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

Also she's on virgin unrefined coconut oil and I also want to make clear I don't expect to see immediate results but glad to already be seeing some!! I know it will all take time just wanted others experiences that's all.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

don't dilute " I use Selsun Blue along with her moisturizing shampoo

add MSM

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2014, 01:07 AM   #8 (permalink)

Also I have used medicated shampoos for yeast and an apple cider vinegar rinse which kills yeast. Wash with the shampoo then put ACV mixture on and let it dry helpes but never cured yhe problem!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 02-27-2014, 01:12 AM   #9 (permalink)

Carmspack I don't dilute sorry I wasn't clear I wash with selsun blue rinse then wash again with the anti itch moisturizing shampoo that has natural oils in it its all natural, per my vets recommendation. I just wasn't using the selsun blue before, my vet told me to add that. So I wash her twice at one time.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:14 AM   #10 (permalink)

Her multiple vitamin has glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate in it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.