Feeding Canadian Geese? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2014, 11:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Feeding Canadian Geese?

I recently switch my guy over to a raw diet, still gets kibble as treats but the results have been awesome. More energy (not that he needed that), better coat, better appetite and stools.

I don't have a hunting permit but where I live we walk a path/trail and we have 100's of Canadian Geese all over the place. So much so they are almost a pest around here now. Lots of them run off when they see Jake coming but some want to come after him. I know I can go let him get one if I were to let it happen. I've never fed wild game before. Is it best to freeze them first, cook them a bit, or just clean it feed raw? Worried about parasites and things like that.
GreenCo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2014, 12:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Not sure I understand correctly, if you are suggesting to allow your dog to catch the geese? I would advise against it. Allowing your dog to chase/harass wildlife is illegal in the US and I'd bet its the same for Canada. If your talking about legally hunting them yourself, then go for it. There are some guidelines to follow dealing with feeding wild game, if it were me, I'd cook it.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2014, 01:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Geese are protected here, completely. No hunting of them allowed. They can be pretty mean and I wouldn't mess with them. They were hissing at me and Midnite one time and he did the right thing, ignored them and walked away
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2014, 01:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

From what I've read they are not protected here in Canada and they have a daily limit.

Environment Canada - Nature - Migratory Birds Hunting Regulations, 2013?2014: Ontario

As for them being pretty mean? They are but the dog can catch and kill it no problem.. And that's meals for at least a few days. I'm not worried about the dog getting injured by a goose lol
Old 02-23-2014, 01:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Not sure I understand correctly, if you are suggesting to allow your dog to catch the geese? I would advise against it. Allowing your dog to chase/harass wildlife is illegal in the US and I'd bet its the same for Canada. If your talking about legally hunting them yourself, then go for it. There are some guidelines to follow dealing with feeding wild game, if it were me, I'd cook it.
I'm not worried about the law, put that aside. This is on private property and I'll do what I want. The question was more about if about the feeding, cleaning, cooking, parasites, freezing etc.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenCo View Post
I'm not worried about the law, put that aside. This is on private property and I'll do what I want.
You can't do whatever you want just because you're on private property. The rules and laws still apply to you even on land you own.

And from the link you provided:

"In Ontario, non-toxic shot must be used to hunt migratory game birds, except for woodcock."
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2014, 02:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I hope that if you decide to do this you at least kill the goose in a humane way and sending your dog after it is in my opinion not...my dogs have killed rabbit but if I could have prevented it I would have. I think people would be enraged if you were suggesting this for an eagle not sure why a goose is different and yes I know eagles are protected...I like geese so if you do this I hope the goose puts up a fight
holland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2014, 02:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Dog View Post
You can't do whatever you want just because you're on private property. The rules and laws still apply to you even on land you own.

And from the link you provided:

"In Ontario, non-toxic shot must be used to hunt migratory game birds, except for woodcock."
I know this... In MY SCENARIO the law would never be around and we can get geese.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holland View Post
I hope that if you decide to do this you at least kill the goose in a humane way and sending your dog after it is in my opinion not...my dogs have killed rabbit but if I could have prevented it I would have. I think people would be enraged if you were suggesting this for an eagle not sure why a goose is different and yes I know eagles are protected...I like geese so if you do this I hope the goose puts up a fight
Accidents happen. This thread is in the BARF section talking about ways to feed dogs for a few days. This is just illegal hunting.

OP - if you're going to feed wild geese, do it legally. Get a legitimate hunter's license and follow the laws in your area.
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2014, 02:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by holland View Post
Does your dog not eat meat? Have you never hunted before? Do you not eat meat? The goose would be caught by the dog and when he brings it to me the neck would be slit and that's the end of it. This isn't a post about hunting or what the law is. As for the animal not being killed in a humane way? Hunting wildlife is a lot more humane compared to any animal you can purchase in a store or what's put into your dogs food.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.