Just started raw and having some issues... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2014, 04:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Just started raw and having some issues...

It's been a week of Stella being on raw. I am using premade raw.

Observations I have made....

1.-She is shedding like crazy!!!!! Some of her hair is coming out in clumps. She always was a shedder but it has reached new levels.
2.-She has started itching like crazy too. She has always been an itchy girl but it seemed to have calmed down a bit up until this week. She has had chicken this week, so maybe she is sensitive to that? Switched her today to turkey. Hope it makes a difference. On kibble she was on salmon.
3.-She seems soooooo hungry. Had a couple of days of throwing up bile but not the last few.
4.-Her coat feels sooooooo soft. Can that actually happen that fast?
5.-Best poop ever! She has always had poop that was on the softer side but it has firmed right up.

So, can any of the above be due to the raw in such a short span of time????

Stella-GSD 6/17/11
Ruben-Newfie/? mix 7/2003
katdog5911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2014, 05:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

It could be she's having an issue with chicken. I'd switch to a more different protein like pork/boar/beef/lamb instead of turkey. Be aware that if she has an issue with chicken then it can take several weeks for that reaction to disappear.

The shedding could be some form of detox or could be related to the increase itching/a reaction to the chicken.

The poop change is definitely due to the raw. Poop from raw fed dogs is a million times better than kibble fed dogs. Raw food is so much more digestible than kibble so their poop is much less offensive
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2014, 05:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

she could be "house cleaning" , dogs initially will shed and can be dandruffy -- coat is being replaced as is the skin --
there is a detox period .

What else is in the premade raw -- sometimes the "vegetables" are not the best , or appropriate .

Hungry , you may have to adjust the amounts you are giving .

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2014, 05:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

There are some veggies in the mix. Didn't think about that.

As to chicken allergy- she has had boiled chicken and rice in the past when she was not feeling well....don't really recall an increase in her itchiness. Just funny how she has gotten sooooo itchy and "sheddy" this week.

I don't know if I can afford some of the other meats on a regular basis. Chicken and turkey are the most economical....

Stella-GSD 6/17/11
Old 02-17-2014, 06:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

When you say premade, do you mean foods like BARF BARF Australia - Biologically Appropriate Raw Food ?

If so, why don't you purchase the pork version, as pork is an excellent protein that has really good results with allergies and a level of EFAs that assist with coat and skin conditions.

If not premade, then see if you can buy some human grade pork and mix in with some ground lamb and give a turkey neck as bone.

Also I have recently discovered coconut oil and have been using for a month now, I have noticed both Harry and Lola are not scratching as much - something to consider

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiinsnapshots.htm
Harry and Lola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2014, 08:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Premade raw-everything is already ground up and ready to eat.

I will have to look into pork.

I started coconut oil several weeks ago. I did notice less itching. I overlooked it this past week, I was so focused on the raw....started again today though. Maybe that was what helped!

I just want to do the right thing for my girl. I know she has some environmental allergies. Never tested for food.

I am just concerned that her hair is coming out in clumps all of a sudden. Although her coat and skin look and feel nice....

And her ear is bothering her. But that started before the raw. It seemed to improve and now is bothering her again.... Hmmmmm....maybe the coconut was really helping??!111

Stella-GSD 6/17/11
Old 02-20-2014, 07:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Yes I think coconut oil is a super food, I'd get her back on this.

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiinsnapshots.htm
Harry and Lola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2014, 05:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Just my opinion here, others may not agree, but here it is..... Dogs only need meat, bone and organ. Fruits and veggies are not properly or naturally digested by dogs and can cause inflammatory reactions in the gut that eventually manifest themselves through the skin and other ways. These inflammations never really resolve as long as the fruits and veggies are fed. Then certain proteins may irritate the already inflamed area and then the dogs is labeled as "allergic" to that protein. No carnivore is truly "allergic" to any meat source. I recommend feeding only meat bone and organ, Letting the gut heal and the inflamed areas calm down and I think you will have one happy pup!
cci058 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2014, 05:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cci058 View Post
Just my opinion here, others may not agree, but here it is..... Dogs only need meat, bone and organ. Fruits and veggies are not properly or naturally digested by dogs and can cause inflammatory reactions in the gut that eventually manifest themselves through the skin and other ways. These inflammations never really resolve as long as the fruits and veggies are fed. Then certain proteins may irritate the already inflamed area and then the dogs is labeled as "allergic" to that protein. No carnivore is truly "allergic" to any meat source. I recommend feeding only meat bone and organ, Letting the gut heal and the inflamed areas calm down and I think you will have one happy pup!

Interesting......sounds easy enough for those with problems to give a try.

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2014, 07:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cci058 View Post
No carnivore is truly "allergic" to any meat source.
Do you have any reputable references for this?
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.