German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   B.A.R.F./Raw Feeding (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/b-r-f-raw-feeding/)
-   -   Feeding Salmon (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/b-r-f-raw-feeding/412290-feeding-salmon.html)

nicky 02-17-2014 01:06 PM

Feeding Salmon

I thought I hit the jackpot when the butcher saved me 2 BIG bags of salmon (frozen). I have never fed her salmon before, just the oil.

I read that dogs and coyotes are the only animals that are susceptible to salmon poisoning?

Does anyone feed salmon and if so, it has to be cooked? I have all parts of it, including the heads.

jjk454ss 02-17-2014 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicky (Post 5037610)
I thought I hit the jackpot when the butcher saved me 2 BIG bags of salmon (frozen). I have never fed her salmon before, just the oil.

I read that dogs and coyotes are the only animals that are susceptible to salmon poisoning?

Does anyone feed salmon and if so, it has to be cooked? I have all parts of it, including the heads.

Someone told me about the poisoning a while back, I give my dog and my patents give there dog salmon, all the time. Ours is always frozen salmon caught in Lake Michigan. I believe the poisoning is limited to the somewhere like the Pacific Northwest. I'm not sure. I did some research on it at the time and from what I could tell it all depends on where the fish is from

Also, I only give the fillets with the skin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salmon_poisoning_disease

JakodaCD OA 02-17-2014 06:01 PM

I work at a fish market:) Yes it's the Pacific Northwest salmon that MUST be cooked.

However, if you've got whole salmons or salmon carcass, where ever it comes from, I always cook mine, or should I say 'poach" it.

If it's the WHOLE salmon, I gut it, filet it off, I boil down the carcass with the head, then when it's really mushy, throw it in the food processor, the filets I also poach down, and do the same thing, I KEEP the liquid, and freeze it up in portions..

I just don't like feeding salmon raw, and I don't like giving them fish bones uncooked/mushed down, tho I know some do

doggiedad 02-17-2014 06:18 PM

i give my dog poached salmon. we eat a variety of fish.
whenever we have fish we always buy our dog a fillet or
two. the fish is always cooked. if i give him canned fish
it's in water, no salt added.

SuperG 02-17-2014 06:24 PM

This is good information since I feed my dog raw and just found a source on salmon....I guess I will cook/poach it just to be on the safe side.

Thanks,

SuperG

Kaimeju 02-17-2014 06:31 PM

It is only the coastal Pacific Northwest where the snail that is the secondary host for the fluke that causes salmon poisoning lives. Inland lakes should be fine. But with any wild food I would feel uncomfortable feeding it fresh because there are other flukes and parasites besides the well known ones. If the fish weren't fully processed by the butcher yet I would also gut them. Sometimes they swallow things you wouldn't want your dog to eat.

Nigel 02-17-2014 09:37 PM

Whoa, we fish down on the Columbia and bring home plenty to share with the pups, but have always grilled it first, didn't know about raw salmon from around here, good to know.

jjk454ss 02-17-2014 11:36 PM

I'm not sure, I think I remember freezing doesn't kill whatever causes the poisoning. But I give the filets to the dogs raw, but frozen. They last at least a little longer this way too.

nicky 02-18-2014 12:34 PM

OK, thanks I will poach it. We have enough of it to last a very long time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjk454ss (Post 5041658)
I'm not sure, I think I remember freezing doesn't kill whatever causes the poisoning. But I give the filets to the dogs raw, but frozen. They last at least a little longer this way too.

Is this true?

jjk454ss 02-18-2014 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicky (Post 5043450)
OK, thanks I will poach it. We have enough of it to last a very long time.

Is this true?

Is it true that freezing does NOT kill the disease? I think I heard that it has to be cooked, but hopefully someone can confirm that.