Sarcocystis from raw meat - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2014, 12:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Sarcocystis from raw meat

My dog tested positive for this parasite, our vet told us it was from the raw meat we gave him and told us not to give it to him anymore. I am sold on the raw diet you don't have to convince me BUT my husband is not and now he will no longer support me feeding it and admittedly I am a little nervous now knowing my dog got this because I thought raw was better. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I know freezing can kill it but what else could be in the meat that could cause problems? All that work I did to convince my husband raw was the way to go all in the toilet... This is more a vent I guess, no stories you could tell would ever convince him unless it's backed up by actual scientific evidence everything else is just anecdotal to him.

*sigh*

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2014, 12:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Can you keep hubby on board by making a plan to freeze before feeding? It's rare, but just to be safe?!

Jack - male GSD b. 8/9/10
Lillian - female Weimaraner b. ~2005
RIP Mattie - female GSD 10/18/02 - 7/24/2013
JackandMattie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2014, 12:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Sarcocystis from raw meat

Ollie only had some diarrhea but otherwise he's completely normal and there is no treatment for it, it's supposed to go away on its own. I told him about freezing but now he's worried about what else may be in the meat... He's never been for it, he thinks it's a fad and honestly unless you have some actual proof of a study done showing it's benefits nothing will really convince him, this was just the thing he was looking for to get back on the hate train lol. We're comprising and doing Honest Kitchen(even though 'I' know that's way more expensive) for now, it's just a sensitive time right now because we've got several thousand dollars sunk into my cat who's in renal failure and he's imagining all these vet bills from raw meat. He's weird, lol. It was just really really bad timing for this to happen as I was in the middle of getting my little dogs onto raw and already have a giant bag of chicken in the freezer.

Last edited by Carriesue; 01-31-2014 at 12:14 AM.
Carriesue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2014, 12:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Is your vet, in general, against raw feeding? (just curious) I do get that some dogs get sick from raw feeding, but I still think it would be a high probability of getting something nasty from that lake in Laguna - those nasty waters are stagnant and gross. So, unless he (vet) tested the meat...

But, well, you know all my thoughts or ideas already... I just hate when vets jump on the "it has to be the raw meat bandwagon" without entertaining other possibilities.

Levi vom Grunenfeld, RIP 9/5/04 - 3/4/13
mspiker03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2014, 12:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

I've never discussed raw feeding with my vet but they are the standard type that push vaccines and early spay and neuters... One of the newer vets there told me honest kitchen was bad for my puppy(when Ollie was younger) and that I should put him on science diet puppy formula sooo.

He could have gotten it from the lake but my husband trusts vets a lot more then I do and the vet didn't say it could come from any other source 'but' raw meat. He's not even raw fed right now, I only give him a little bit of raw beef every now and then as a training treat.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I am just so skeptical at times. I had a vet tell me that Leyna needed her tongue biopsied because she had one of those black spots on it. She was less than a year old, and we had no idea... we *almost* went through with it because that is what the vet recommended. Thankfully, we didn't...And then I started to research a lot more.

Levi vom Grunenfeld, RIP 9/5/04 - 3/4/13
mspiker03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2014, 01:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Can you compromise and feed a dehydrated raw?

Amazon.com: dehydrated raw dog food: Pet Supplies
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2014, 01:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Maybe do some research to find out if its possible to get it from the lake. And also let your husband know that dogs can also get sick from kibble. nothing is 100% percent. Men like facts. Give it a try.
Msmaria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2014, 01:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmaria View Post
Maybe do some research to find out if its possible to get it from the lake. And also let your husband know that dogs can also get sick from kibble. nothing is 100% percent. Men like facts. Give it a try.

I have told him all of that, doesn't really matter to him and since I am not able to work right now there's not much I can do about it otherwise I'd pay for it myself and do it anyway.

Gretchen we are going to be feeding Honest Kitchen and I will slip them raw meat here and there but only after it's been frozen for a couple weeks. Some of the meat I gave him was ground stuff that hadn't been frozen so I messed up there. I will just give this some time to settle then try again.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

What about a home cooked diet? Next best thing to raw and usually recommended over raw for elderly dogs or dogs who have compromised immune systems.
I feed mostly raw, but also make some pressure cooker meals, especially in the winter. You can cook down bones to where they become brittle enough to feed cooked.
Throw a whole chicken or rabbit in the pressure cooker with some water, towards the end add veggies (optional, I like feeding veggies). Make sure the bones can be crushed easily with a spoon. Save the broth- it makes a great joint supplement.

I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.