German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   B.A.R.F./Raw Feeding (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/b-r-f-raw-feeding/)
-   -   Why do people think feeding RAW is so expensive??? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/b-r-f-raw-feeding/404378-why-do-people-think-feeding-raw-so-expensive.html)

Serbrider 01-30-2014 10:22 PM

Why do people think feeding RAW is so expensive???

I know that if you are trying to feed the premade stuff like Nature's Instinct, Primal, etc... it gets expensive really quickly...

But if feeding whole chickens, pork neck bones, beef neck bones, calf liver, etc... even just from your grocery store and not from a specific supplier or a butcher.... I've found that it saved me money.

With my 9 year old Lab/Pit/Mutt, approx 50 lbs, I spend $30-35 per month on her food, and that's when I buy from Walmart/HEB and pay full price. Which is nothing compared to what I know other people spend on food, even the cheap stuff. Or even what I used to spend on food before I switched.

When I was feeding Taste of the Wild, she would finish a 30lb bag in about a month. That's $50/month.

Before that, on Ol' Roy or Pedigree or cheap no-name brand (this was while my parents still had control over her food), one and a half to two 50 lb bags per month (free fed), usually resulted in about $30-35 per month, depending on what we were getting.

So... maybe it's just me... but I don't feel like "I can't afford it" is a valid excuse... there are other excuses that can be used. :)

So... have y'all found the same thing when y'all switched? Have you found it to be cheaper? Or has it been more expensive?

shepherdmom 01-30-2014 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serbrider (Post 4937010)
I know that if you are trying to feed the premade stuff like Nature's Instinct, Primal, etc... it gets expensive really quickly...

But if feeding whole chickens, pork neck bones, beef neck bones, calf liver, etc... even just from your grocery store and not from a specific supplier or a butcher.... I've found that it saved me money.

With my 9 year old Lab/Pit/Mutt, approx 50 lbs, I spend $30-35 per month on her food, and that's when I buy from Walmart/HEB and pay full price. Which is nothing compared to what I know other people spend on food, even the cheap stuff. Or even what I used to spend on food before I switched.

When I was feeding Taste of the Wild, she would finish a 30lb bag in about a month. That's $50/month.

Before that, on Ol' Roy or Pedigree or cheap no-name brand (this was while my parents still had control over her food), one and a half to two 50 lb bags per month (free fed), usually resulted in about $30-35 per month, depending on what we were getting.

So... maybe it's just me... but I don't feel like "I can't afford it" is a valid excuse... there are other excuses that can be used. :)

So... have y'all found the same thing when y'all switched? Have you found it to be cheaper? Or has it been more expensive?

I pay 31.99 for a bag of Diamond Naturals about every two weeks. I looked into switching to raw but with 4 dogs average 2 lbs a day at even $1.00 a pound that is $56 per week. That doesn't include all the supplements they need to be healthy.

mspiker03 01-30-2014 10:46 PM

I just bought 190lbs of food for $140 (approx) - I could have cut the price down if I wasn't lazy and ordered the pre-sliced liver. ;) I feed approx 2.63lbs/day (2 female GSD's) so that is about 2.4 months of food, so about $60/month total on food for 2 dogs (not including tripe, which I add on occasion and would up the cost). I also add oil of some sort (Leyna gets Salmon, and Paisley Coconut) which isn't that bad price wise because it lasts awhile and then most of the other supplements I feed don't add too much to the cost (mostly just joint supplements for my older female, which I would be adding if I fed kibble).

onyx'girl 01-30-2014 10:47 PM

I am in a co-op so the raw is less expensive for me to feed than if I had to get it on my own. I spend about $150 per month to feed three GSD's. I don't know how that compares to kibble(I haven't bought kibble in 7 yrs)
I think the convenience of feeding kibble is the real reason people won't commit to feeding raw. And you need a dedicated freezer/fridge if you have a few dogs to feed, because buying in bulk helps reduce the cost.

shepherdmom 01-30-2014 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onyx'girl (Post 4937314)
I am in a co-op so the raw is less expensive for me to feed than if I had to get it on my own. I spend about $150 per month to feed three GSD's. I don't know how that compares to kibble(I haven't bought kibble in 7 yrs)
I think the convenience of feeding kibble is the real reason people won't commit to feeding raw. And you need a dedicated freezer/fridge if you have a few dogs to feed, because buying in bulk helps reduce the cost.

and I pay aprox $65 a month to feed 4 on kibble and I know they are getting everything they need nutritionally.

Kaimeju 01-30-2014 11:01 PM

If you don't have a Costco or Cash'n Carry near you and there are no co-ops it can be pricey. Driving to pick up from a co-op would cost $20-40 in gas because I have a gas guzzler pickup (totally necessary for where I live). Aside from chicken and turkey quarters, I have been unable to find anything under $2/lb, despite calling butchers and game processors. I would love more ideas if anyone has any. Sometimes I can score freezer-burned meat from a coworker but that's not a sure thing. Feeding my dog 100% raw would cost roughly $90/mo if I was extremely frugal and fed mostly chicken, safeway pork sometimes. I can afford that because my situation is good but I can understand why people would not want to pay that much, not go driving all over **** and creation looking for dog food. It takes way more planning to feed my dog than it does myself.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

boomer11 01-30-2014 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shepherdmom (Post 4937354)
and I pay aprox $65 a month to feed 4 on kibble and I know they are getting everything they need nutritionally.

i can eat a mcdonalds meal every day and get everything i need nutritionally. just saying!

jocoyn 01-30-2014 11:10 PM

OTOH, I may feed raw again some day but only when I am set to take scrap from grass fed / pasture fed animals and venison. At least for now the meat in dog food is grass fed and antibiotic free. ....... I just don't trust Walmart and think they are irradiating, bleaching, whatever. I got a tomato there that sat on my counter for THREE MONTHS before it started to rot.

I don't think this needs to be a kibble vs raw thread. I you want to feed it fine. In my state they are not allowed to sell discounted meat that is just out of date.....which is one way to get affordable quality meats.

mspiker03 01-30-2014 11:12 PM

@Kaimejo - The key for me is/was finding the wholesale distributor who serves your local grocery stores in town (I did google searches to find suppliers both when I lived in San Diego and now up in Nor Cal). My supplier will actually deliver to my business for a measly cost since they make deliveries throughout town. I also live about an hour from the nearest major city. And if I decide to pick up food myself, I just make sure I do the trip with a bunch of different errands. I also buy enough food at once to make the extra cost in gas per pound minimal.

JackandMattie 01-30-2014 11:45 PM

Probably the same reason many people think it's cheaper to feed their families with value meals from fast food restaurants than to prepare the same meal at home with fresh wholesome ingredients and recipes that cut the fat, sugar and carb content virtually in half. They're not self learners, and no one has committed to teaching them.

That, and thinking that "people" food is more valuable than "dog" food. Why would they purchase "people" food for dogs? Again, they haven't been educated. They don't understand the model of prey feeding, and aren't aware that feeding dogs on a prey diet includes feeding them all the parts of the animals that people (at least in much of the US) do not eat. Cheap parts, like the gizzards and hearts my local grocer sells at dirt cheap prices as fish bait!

And then, there are those RAW feeders who who believe their canines need fruits and veggies, and deplete their dogs' natural diet with those filler foods and consequently have to buy a heap of expensive "supplements" to meet what otherwise would be a very simple diet. And then they advocate $40 dollars for a bottle of fancy fish oil, when the dogs can get the same benefit from a $6 bottle of fish oil tablets from Walmart... Or something caught locally and tossed out on the lawn for dogs to devour ;).
And they suggest "joint supplements" which are *totally* unnecessary when you're feeding RMBs. Dogs don't need expensive conjointin tablets when they're eating chicken and fish and rabbit bones. Doh.

So, to answer your question... part self-satisfying emotion, part ignorance, and a healthy dose of pride. I always crack up when I see a dog treat recipe that contains half a dozen ingredients and 2 hours prep time. Really? That's for the owner, so she can pat herself on the back. My dogs' *favorite* all time treat??? A super cheap raw egg. No prep required, which means we can spend those two hours of "loving" time talking a long walk through the woods! Huge nutritional value, and I don't even have to crack the egg, lol. They handle that, and they clean up every last drop. I promise you, if I am holding a carton of eggs in one hand and a basket full of "cookies" baked with flour and garlic in the other... Well, my dogs will be whining and circling the hand holding the egg carton, lol!!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App