Why do people think feeding RAW is so expensive??? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2014, 10:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

agree the pre-made raw is expensive, but I like these as they are easy and combine everything - muscle, organ, bone & vegies.

Otherwise, raw is really cheap, I bought about 300grams of chicken hearts the other day for $1.50 and chicken carcass costs about 35cents each. Cheap.

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiinsnapshots.htm
Harry and Lola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2014, 10:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

No, people do not always choose kibble out of ignorance. As far as the $6 "fish oil". Do a little research on the DHA and EPA content, and cut open and taste the oil inside and you will know why people spend $40 for quality fish oil.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2014, 10:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspiker03 View Post
@Kaimejo - The key for me is/was finding the wholesale distributor who serves your local grocery stores in town (I did google searches to find suppliers both when I lived in San Diego and now up in Nor Cal). My supplier will actually deliver to my business for a measly cost since they make deliveries throughout town. I also live about an hour from the nearest major city. And if I decide to pick up food myself, I just make sure I do the trip with a bunch of different errands. I also buy enough food at once to make the extra cost in gas per pound minimal.
There would need to be a grocery store in town to distribute to them. LOL Nearest grocery store is 28 miles round trip.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2014, 10:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer11 View Post
i can eat a mcdonalds meal every day and get everything i need nutritionally. just saying!
lol so? I enjoy McDonalds.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2014, 11:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherdmom View Post
There would need to be a grocery store in town to distribute to them. LOL Nearest grocery store is 28 miles round trip.
But, you still make that trip to the store at some point. I used to meet the Cal Vada supplier in the parking lot at Safeway until I realized he would stop by my work. If I had to buy in Reno, I would just combine it with a trip there to buy other things. I have gotten food in Sac - which is 2 hours away from me. But, I combine it with a trip to the Bay Area so it is only maybe 15min out of the way. You just find ways to make it work. I don't really find it that difficult.

Besides, 28 miles round trip isn't that much. I drive that far round trip to the vet. I drive that far round trip for various other errands all the time. I drive further for dog training each week.

Levi vom Grunenfeld, RIP 9/5/04 - 3/4/13
mspiker03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2014, 11:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master Member

Heres what im contending with before you judge. I have two dogs that eat two pounds a day. Chicken leg quarters I can get for $1.00 a pound. That's 60 lbs a month if I only feed that. $60 spent there. Beef heart is 1.79 a pound. If I give 1/2 pound a day per dog that's 30 lbs a month approx $51 dollars a month. Beef livers are $1.00 a pound, $5.00 a month. Giblets are 1.39 a pound. Approx $12.00 a month. I don't have access to green tripe, canned is approx $20 a month. Pork shoulder (when on sale) is 1.79 a pound, totaling another $51 per month. $189 per month.

Earth holistic kibble is $49 per bag. Two bags a month cost $99. I'm not even sure if we use two bags a month. Right now I'm struggling with the cost of raw for two dogs.

Do you really want to make broad judging statements?

Or are you volunteering to pay my food bills?

I'm struggling with my decision to feed 1/2 raw at least. Thanks for your attempt at making me feel like a moron.

Metro 10/2005-5/2013
Sabo 3/2013-now
Kia 1/2014- now
Sabo's Blog (I'm nuts)
erfunhouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2014, 11:20 PM   #17 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Usually when I see someone telling other people that something they are doing is "wrong" and assume they have superior knowledge, it is because they are a recent convert and feel some need to convert everyone else.

There are plenty of highly experienced raw feeders on the board who co-exist peacefully with kibble feeders and vice-versa. And I think it is just great when people can give helpful advice such as ways to source meat ingredients, etc. without telling people who chose a different path that they are "uninformed"

There are those of us who prefer different lines of dogs as well, Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I see pros and cons in both ways of feeding.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2014, 11:29 PM   #18 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
No, people do not always choose kibble out of ignorance. As far as the $6 "fish oil". Do a little research on the DHA and EPA content, and cut open and taste the oil inside and you will know why people spend $40 for quality fish oil.
You're right. It not *always* out of ignorance. I'm fact, I am actually feeding mine kibble right now... For training purposes. I'm backing my dogs up off their sense of entitlement, so I am actually spending more feeding them kibble, as part of a comprehensive plan my trainer suggested. We will go back to prey at some point. But I do think it's a factor. OP asked why? And I think that's why many people don't even explore raw. They just don't know they can feed PMR less expensively. Saying they are ignorant of that fact, for a variety of reasons, is not the same thing as calling someone stupid.

And honestly, this is what I am currently putting on my dogs' kibble:

Why do people think feeding RAW is so expensive???-imageuploadedbypg-free1391142390.822221.jpg

But when that bottle runs out, they are gonna go back to sharing the same supplement I feed myself, which is the Wal-Mart $6 bottle of capsules. And I'm comfortable with that, considering we don't eat cheeseburgers or drink soda, lol!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Jack - male GSD b. 8/9/10
Lillian - female Weimaraner b. ~2005
RIP Mattie - female GSD 10/18/02 - 7/24/2013
JackandMattie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2014, 11:29 PM   #19 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erfunhouse View Post
Heres what im contending with before you judge. I have two dogs that eat two pounds a day. Chicken leg quarters I can get for $1.00 a pound. That's 60 lbs a month if I only feed that. $60 spent there. Beef heart is 1.79 a pound. If I give 1/2 pound a day per dog that's 30 lbs a month approx $51 dollars a month. Beef livers are $1.00 a pound, $5.00 a month. Giblets are 1.39 a pound. Approx $12.00 a month. I don't have access to green tripe, canned is approx $20 a month. Pork shoulder (when on sale) is 1.79 a pound, totaling another $51 per month. $189 per month.

Earth holistic kibble is $49 per bag. Two bags a month cost $99. I'm not even sure if we use two bags a month. Right now I'm struggling with the cost of raw for two dogs.

Do you really want to make broad judging statements?

Or are you volunteering to pay my food bills?

I'm struggling with my decision to feed 1/2 raw at least. Thanks for your attempt at making me feel like a moron.

Metro 10/2005-5/2013
Sabo 3/2013-now
Kia 1/2014- now
I would think being so close to LA that you could easily get those prices way down. I would call Harvest Meat and see if they deliver to your area and if not, maybe they know who does and go from there. I have found several of these wholesale places have people that "deal with the dog raw feeders."

I will say that finding pricing that made raw feeding affordable took a bit of effort at first. I spent a lot of time googling and calling.

Levi vom Grunenfeld, RIP 9/5/04 - 3/4/13
mspiker03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2014, 11:30 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
Indeed. The cheap stuff is cut with soybean oil anyway.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.