German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   B.A.R.F./Raw Feeding (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/b-r-f-raw-feeding/)
-   -   Is BARF not for my dog? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/b-r-f-raw-feeding/401354-barf-not-my-dog.html)

JJJ89 01-24-2014 10:54 PM

Is BARF not for my dog?

We started our puppy on raw a month ago. The first 2 weeks went great, day one a little runny stool but after that things firmed up and he was enjoying his new food. 2 1/2 weeks ago he got worms and started having really watery stool. Took him to the vet and got the worms taken care of but he hasn't had a solid poop since.

A little bit about his diet. The first week he got only chicken. 2 pounds a day, usually a pound of breast in the morning and something with a little bone for dinner or vise versa depending on what I grabbed. Second week started mixing in beef, steak, elk, and some liver and heart and his poop was still good. Since he had worms I have fed him rice, pumpkin, and yogurts in addition to the meat in order to try and firm up his stool and nothing works.

He has been to the vet 3 times in the past 2 weeks (after worms were gone) and Every time the vet says he is healthy and doing well. Jack is 11 months old and weighs 85 lbs with normal energy levels. This is my first dog and I have spent a lot of time researching trying to make sure I do the right thing but these last couple weeks have had me really worried about him. I would really prefer not to go back to kibble because he loves his food so much now but I can't think of anything else to do at this point.

Any suggestions?

mspiker03 01-24-2014 11:19 PM

Assuming nothing else is going on, I would switch to a completely bland diet (rice and cooked meat with some pumpkin) to settle the stomach. Once poop firms up, I would slowly switch to a one protein/no liver for now raw diet with pumpkin (I go something like 1/4 raw/rest cooked then 1/2 and 1/2 etc). You can also try a probiotic. But that would be something I might try after if the other things aren't helping.

My dogs always get a bland diet (no raw) when they are having poop issues. If they are having prolonged issues - my philosophy is go simple and make changes one at a time so you know what works and what doesn't.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

JJJ89 01-26-2014 10:51 PM

Thanks for the info I have switched to an all cooked diet. His poops are still runny but they have moved away from being almost all water and have minimal form now. Hopefully in the next day or 2 he is back to solid poops.

lhczth 01-27-2014 10:33 AM

You said he was treated for worms. Did they also check for coccidia and giardia (there is a specific test for this)? The latter is the hardest to detect and a pain to get rid of.

JJJ89 01-27-2014 08:18 PM

I know giardia was checked and he was cleared when they found the worms and at the check up appointment after meds were gone. I am not sure on coccidia my girl friend made the trips to the vet last time I will have to check on that to make sure it was. He is going back to the vet this week just to make sure nothing was missed and I will make sure these are tested for.

On a positive note had a solid poop tonight it was just a dropping but It's something.

JJJ89 01-30-2014 12:30 AM

Jack went to the vet today to get a check up and was told he had giardia. The vet gave us meds to give him over a period of 10 days. They also suggested we put him on a probiotic as his immune system is rather weak. Vet said it was caught really early and shouldn't be very hard to get rid of. Hopefully soon I will have a healthy boy back.

blackshep 01-30-2014 09:40 AM

Good luck, my dog had giardia and it was a nightmare.

Clean everything, bedding, bowls, toys etc in HOT water (giardia likes cooler temps). I got a steam mop to sanitize floors and carpets. Give your dog a bath at the start of treatment and a couple of times during the treatment.

Hope you get rid of it the first time!! You pup will hopefully feel better soon, the good news is, it wasn't the food that wasn't agreeing with him.

lhczth 01-30-2014 10:17 AM

Glad you redid the test. Giardia is pretty distinct and causes runny very very foul smelling poops.

JJJ89 01-31-2014 11:36 PM

Just a little update jack is doing well with the meds and his poop has been solid the last 2 days so that's a plus. Wondering if I should slowly start adding some raw to his diet or am I best keeping him on a bland diet until his treatment is done?

KonaK9 02-01-2014 07:30 AM

I'm still in the learning stages of the whole raw diet thing but I do know one thing; turkey and chicken has been my best friend for this whole experience. The minute I tried using pork my dog had major stool problems and was even pooping blood....albeit maybe the blood had something to do with the red meat? I'm not sure.

On a side note, she's done pretty well with beef too but I definitely feel the most comfortable sticking with the birds ;)