German Shepherds Forum banner

pro-bios vs. Nzymes bak-pak plus vs. yogurt

8K views 33 replies 8 participants last post by  countryboy73703 
#1 ·
I've been raw feeding for 3 or 4 months now, started with my husky mix, everything went good, so when i got my GSD pup I started her on raw at like 10-11 weeks old. everything is still going good.

what I'm trying to find out is if one is better than the other. I've only used the pro-bios that you can buy from the Leerburg site. but now that i"m raw feeding 2 dogs, I'm blowing right thru the pro-bios. the cost isn't really the issue, as is't about the same cost as the Nzymes bak pak plus, BUT the pro-bios dosage is about 5 times as much as a daily supplement as the Nzymes is. there's a guy on you tube that I watch that was using nzymes for it raw feed, and he seemed very happy with it. anywho, if I can get about 3-5 times the length of nzymes, and its just as good or better then the pro-bios then I'll consider switching, cause I'm tired of ordering a new thing every month or 2. Also, I used yogurt when I originally made the first 2 weeks of food just to trying it, and switch over to raw. and it seemed to work good, the price difference isn't much difference to the pro-bios, and its available at the store.

Any knowledge is welcomed. FYI when I prepare food, I use ground beef at the main ingredient. and RMB comes from chicken legs or necks. and every now and then ( every other week or so) i'll buy some 1 pound cornish game hens, and split it between both dogs as a meal. I prepare the food for a whole month for both dogs, and i freeze, and thaw out enough for a weeks food at a time. other stuff is added into the mix, ofal and such, as well as kep, and alfalfa powder, and puried brocoli, and sometimes a potato, and also eggs are added. thanks for the help.

Josh

See less See more
#33 ·
I think if you put 10 Raw Feeder’s in a room, they’d all have a different recipe for what THEY think is the correct way of feeding!:D Some also believe in adding vitamins/minerals, but some not......some believe in adding digestive enzymes/probiotics.....some not.

20 years ago when their wasn’t much info about raw feeding, and our first GSD was dying, I made up my own recipe blending Pat McKay’s diet (adding vegetables and fruit) along with Kymythy Smith’s diet (adding raw meaty bones). I’ve been feeding that way ever since!

I agree that there is no need in a dogs’ diet for potatoes or grains, but a small percentage of the correct, fresh, pureed vegetables (some veg needs to be blanched or cooked) can’t hurt and can actually help as they contain important nutrients.

Below are statements for advocates of adding a small portions of vegetables to the dogs’ diet. And I think that is probably where where the OP is coming from and gathered info that made sense to HIM.;)

Dogs have actually eaten vegetables the whole period of their evolution, and that's a long time! As such, vegetables, particularly green leafy vegetables should form part of the domestic dog's healthy diet. Dogs need vegetables because they contain many important health promoting nutrients. The fiber your dog obtains from raw vegetables includes both soluble and insoluble fiber. Vegetables supply many other nutrients. Ian Billinghurst BARF Diet Specifics - Bones, Meat, Offal, Vegetables, Fruits & Other Nutrition Food Products for Pet

Feeding vegetables, fruits, and grains is optional, as dogs do not require carbohydrates in their diet. Even though these foods would make up a tiny percentage of the natural diet, they provide some nutritional value, especially trace minerals and phytonutrients from leafy green vegetables. Mary Straus DogAware.com Articles: Homemade Raw Diets for Dogs

Dr. Knueven endorses a raw diet for dogs: raw meat, bones, fruits, vegetables and organ meats. Author of The Holistic Pet Guide and “Stand By Me: A Holistic Handbook For Animal, Their People, and The Lives They Share Together”

Dr. Pitcarin: “Vegetables are valuable for adding vitamins, minerals and roughage to the diet”. Book: Dr. Pitcarin’s New Complete Guide To Natural Health For Dogs & Cats.

Dr. Karen Becker: “Extra fiber from veggies helps out the intestinal function of our sedentary pets and the high antioxidant levels found in vegetables and fruits are beneficial for detoxification processes, rebuilding and healing. Fruits and vegetables provide additional antioxidants to help the body deal with the inevitable toxins our pets encounter”. Book: Real Food For Healthy Dogs & Cats

Steve Brown: “We believe one of the reasons proper raw diets with vegetables and fruits often correct many different health problems with dog’s is that the dog evolved to use natural forms of vitamins, minerals and other micronutrients.” Books: Unlocking the Canine Ancestral Diet, See Spot Live Longer.

Moms:)

#34 ·
Thanks moms,
She is correct, and there are plenty of basic guide lines to go off, that INCLUDE veggies. I know that they are not needed, but if I can get something that's good for them, then I have no prob adding it to the mix. This batch is getting close to being gone, when I make the next one I'll be sure to get rid of the broccoli. But I would still like to add something else, if leafy is good then i can use lettuce.

Also, I knew about grapes and raisins, but thanks.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.