Types of bones and what they're good for - German Shepherd Dog Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Bequavious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Summerville, SC
Posts: 344
Types of bones and what they're good for

Ok so I went to the supermarket looking for raw beef knuckles. The first store said, "no I don't think we have those, but everything like that is over here." There were turkey necks and "soup bones." So I tried another store with a much larger selection. They had beef feet, pig feet, pig hocks, deer hocks, turkey necks, and a couple other items. When I asked about beef knuckles the guy told me what butchers called knuckled were more like beef tips and didn't have any bone in it?

So I'm just really confused about which bones to get. I know chicken ones are good for edible bones, but I was looking for something with dental benefits- not too hard that they might splinter and not too small/soft that they just get eaten without scraping any plaque.

Ps- what are "soup bones"?


Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Bequavious is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 12:34 PM
Junior Member
 
Sansa's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 44
Soup bones are big bones u put in soup so that the marrow comes out and gives it flavor. If they're raw you can get one of those for your gsd, i'd just make sure it's not smoked or precooked in any way.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sansa's Mom is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Bequavious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Summerville, SC
Posts: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansa's Mom View Post
Soup bones are big bones u put in soup so that the marrow comes out and gives it flavor. If they're raw you can get one of those for your gsd, i'd just make sure it's not smoked or precooked in any way.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Yeah I figured they were for making soup, I guess I just wanted to know what part of the animal it was from?


Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Bequavious is offline  
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 02:55 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Jenkintown,Pa.
Posts: 15,199
beef femur bones (whole or center cut), deer antlers and elk antlers.
pm me your address and i'll send you a whole femur and a center cut
piece.
doggiedad is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 02:58 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Jenkintown,Pa.
Posts: 15,199
smoked in a smoker is ok. i wouldn't feed the ones that are
liquid smoked or flavor added for the smoke flavor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansa's Mom View Post
Soup bones are big bones u put in soup so that the marrow comes out and gives it flavor. If they're raw you can get one of those for your gsd, i'd just make sure it's not smoked or precooked in any way.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
doggiedad is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 03:16 PM
Senior Member
 
E.Hatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: St Petersburg, FL
Posts: 257
We buy bags of shank and knuckle bones along with some chubs from Blue Ridge Beef. Not sure if they have a dealer near you but it's worth checking out if so, the prices are great and we're happy with the quality.

Blue Ridge Beef: Dealers - Raw Meat for Dogs - Cats
E.Hatch is online now  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 03:47 PM
Elite Member
 
Harry and Lola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,129
Have a look at this website, it gives you some really good ideas on the type of bones to give Raw Feeding Recipes

Also, you might want to try sourcing from a pet store rather than a supermarket as they may carry the bigger meaty bones. Raw femur are a good bone to give occasionally, however there is rarely any meat on it just the marrow inside.


if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Harry and Lola is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Bequavious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Summerville, SC
Posts: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Hatch View Post
We buy bags of shank and knuckle bones along with some chubs from Blue Ridge Beef. Not sure if they have a dealer near you but it's worth checking out if so, the prices are great and we're happy with the quality.

Blue Ridge Beef: Dealers - Raw Meat for Dogs - Cats
Ok cool I'll check them out. It looks like there are a couple nearby


Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Bequavious is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Bequavious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Summerville, SC
Posts: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry and Lola View Post
Have a look at this website, it gives you some really good ideas on the type of bones to give Raw Feeding Recipes

Also, you might want to try sourcing from a pet store rather than a supermarket as they may carry the bigger meaty bones. Raw femur are a good bone to give occasionally, however there is rarely any meat on it just the marrow inside.
Yeah the only thing I had found at pet stores were the flavored ones that were like $5 each. I figured a could get a better deal at the grocer or a butcher, but it turns out I don't speak "butcher" lol. I had no idea what everything was and what would be best for my purposes (cleaning teeth).


Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Bequavious is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 11:13 AM
Master Member
 
erfunhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Santa Clarita Valley, Ca
Posts: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bequavious View Post
Yeah the only thing I had found at pet stores were the flavored ones that were like $5 each. I figured a could get a better deal at the grocer or a butcher, but it turns out I don't speak "butcher" lol. I had no idea what everything was and what would be best for my purposes (cleaning teeth).


Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Though Sabo is barely 9months (on the 19th) He was getting some ickies on his teeth...literally ONE Turkey neck and his teeth were pearly white!!!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Sabo- March 19, 2013
Metro- November 2006- May 29, 2013
Instagram-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(I'm nuts)
erfunhouse is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome