German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   B.A.R.F./Raw Feeding (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/b-r-f-raw-feeding/)
-   -   It's this an ok start? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/b-r-f-raw-feeding/380986-its-ok-start.html)

erfunhouse 12-14-2013 02:46 AM

It's this an ok start?

So I went it and bought raw meat today. I have a 30day supply.

Based on raw dog ranches formula. I think I'm ok.

Sabo- 8mo now neutered male, 75 lbs
AM- 12oz Turkey neck (or close...synergies 11.3, sometimes 13.4....in the ball park.) Or 12oz pork ribs. ( the sternum of the pork)

PM- 8oz Turkey heart and 4 oz gizzard; c; 8oz chicken breast, 4oz gizzard; or 8oz chicken thigh and4 oz Turkey liver . I also have sardines or eggs to toss in there.

Is that ok to start with? I ended up with to much gizzard and liver so I need other things to pair up there. I know too much liver isn't good, so that will be a once or twice thing.

Any other ideas? Salmon oil? Vitamin E? What else should I get?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

erfunhouse 12-14-2013 02:57 AM

So I went in and bought raw meat today. I have a 30day supply.

Based on raw dog ranches formula. I think I'm ok.

Sabo- 8mo now neutered male, 75 lbs
AM- 12oz Turkey neck (or close...sometimes 11.3, sometimes 13.4....in the ball park.) Or 12oz pork ribs. ( the sternum of the pork)

PM- 8oz Turkey heart and 4 oz gizzard; 8oz chicken breast, 4oz gizzard; or 8oz chicken thigh and 4 oz Turkey liver . I also have sardines or eggs to toss in there.

Is that ok to start with? I ended up with to much gizzard and liver so I need other things to pair up there. I know too much liver isn't good, so that will be a once or twice thing.

Any other ideas? Salmon oil? Vitamin E? What else should I get?

Fixed spelling errors....darn phone.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

mspiker03 12-14-2013 09:38 AM

Personally, I like to start out simple. One protein (MM and RMB) for both meals for a week (no liver either at first) and make sure the dog can handle raw. I then start to add variety, one at a time (and liver is it's own 'variety,' as well as salmon oil, etc). Both liver and pork can easily cause the runs so I tend to go easy on those, especially at first (I start with very very small amounts and then add slowly).

Flutter 12-14-2013 11:27 AM

I remember reading that the best progression for proteins is chicken, then turkey, then boar, then beef, then lamb. I don't know how other proteins would work into that continuum.

We fed a ground, it was really easy to make sure he was getting what he needed and super easy to switch between the proteins. All of the grinds contained organ and our dog had no problems and he does have a very sensitive digestive system.

You can see how it goes with both proteins and if he has an issue be prepared so you can immediately switch to just chicken if you need to :)