German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   B.A.R.F./Raw Feeding (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/b-r-f-raw-feeding/)
-   -   Raw sources in Los Angeles (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/b-r-f-raw-feeding/380105-raw-sources-los-angeles.html)

Whitefang3 12-11-2013 10:23 PM

Raw sources in Los Angeles

Does anyone know/have any places they get their raw food from?
I currently buy from El Monte Wholesale meat

I was hoping to find other places to buy from and I know SoCal has a co op but I don't want to join..

Bear L 12-11-2013 11:25 PM

Creston Valley Meats Main

mspiker03 12-11-2013 11:30 PM

I would try Harvest Meat Company. I have used their San Diego location as well as their Sacramento location for dog food.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

erfunhouse 12-15-2013 02:16 AM

Yelp or Google butchers in your area. We have ONE butcher for all of the Santa Clarita Area...and when I went in there asking for weird things (turkey neck, chicken back...that kinda weird) he immediately said "Oh! you're feeding a dog?" and started listing everything he's made for people. Even said that once I figured out what I wanted on a regular basis he'd either order it for me or if he had it make it cut the way I wanted with no extra charge!

endless5 12-17-2013 06:01 PM

Thanks for posting, was going to start my search too since I'm in the LA area and getting my pup in 5 weeks :) Didnt want to join the co-op

erfunhouse 12-17-2013 06:28 PM

I'm trying to figure out how to join the co-op. I paid $1.89lb for the turkey necks...co-op advertises 0.49-0.79lb...well worth it in my opinion! Especially if I want to go start feeding the more expensive meats! They can get venison and bison and ostrich! All cheaper than the butcher. I also am having a hard time finding out if he can get green tripe, which the co-op can get. I think it's worth it for one day a year to volunteer.

endless5 12-17-2013 09:02 PM

from what I read on the site, you just have to place your first order, and from there they will ask you to schedule your volunteer date and go from that

FAQs

Bikecafe 12-17-2013 09:31 PM

If you are looking for tripe, try 909-244-7691 (Walnut area).

I get chicken backs from Puritan Poultry at the farmer's market on fairfax. As I get 30-40 lbs at a time, they sell it to me at 69 cents/lb.

I get fish and organs from asian markets, beef at restaurant supply stores.

I joined socal barf but found it to be inconvenient and quality was marginal.

endless5 12-18-2013 08:51 PM

thank you for the input. I was thinking asian market & restaurant supply stores would be my go-to places

Whitefang3 12-20-2013 05:27 PM

I've gone to 99ranch for some things not found in your normal market but the prices weren't the best.

Bikecafe, Is that number you left for green tripe?

L&t meat company is another wholesaler
Also harvest meat company (vernon,ca) I've spoken to and was told they would sell to me as long as I bought by the case