How much Bravo to feed? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2013, 03:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How much Bravo to feed?

so i was originally feeding Natures Instinct Raw but it was getting a bit too expensive so im planning on switching to Bravo Raw, but do i still feed the same amount? im getting confused, because they both look like the same quantity of meat, but their websites call for different amounts. My guy is 65lbs and 9 months, so natures instinct raw says feed 25oz a day, but bravo say feed 41oz a day..which is a HUGE difference...any ideas?

EDIT: doing some research, im not sure if im doing this right, but natures variety lists on their site that their raw is 65 Calories per OZ. now, Bravo says it is 125 KCAL ME per 1/4 Pound which equals approx 32 Cal per OZ right? so do i have to truly feed double of the Bravo? if so, bravo doesnt really work out any cheaper lol

Last edited by hvtopiwala; 02-23-2013 at 03:12 PM.
hvtopiwala is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2013, 12:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

oh yea, and a 2LB chub of Nature Instinct runs me around $9ish (averageing different proteins, some are cheaper, some are more expensive) and a 5LB chub of Bravo Balance runs me $17 (again, averaging different proteins).
Old 02-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

any1 have input?
Old 02-26-2013, 08:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

I did the calculations myself on the Bravo and Instinct pages and your pup would eat around the same amount really. I think on the Bravo one you're putting in 4% of the body weight, which at this age you don't need to feed that much since your dog is pretty close to being full grown. If you put in 2.5-3% it's MUCH closer to what Instinct's page says when you mark 'Puppy - Mostly full grown'.

Honestly those calculators are based around the same calculations as any other raw feeding program. If you average your dog between the 2.5%-3% needs it'd put it around 28oz a day, which is where I'd personally start at this age/size and if he gets thin then feed more and if he gets chubby feed less until you figure out a happy medium. If you're rotating proteins (Which you should be) then you're going to feed more calories one day and less calories the next which will work it's self out to a happy medium as well.

Also, have you thought about making your own food? If not at least a couple days a week? It'd come out a LOT cheaper for you.
SS-GSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 12:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

im actually in the process of just doign it myself done a lot of reading on it over the last few days and going to dive into it soon...im planning on starting wit hthis:

1 chicken quarter
1/2lb beef heart
1 raw egg
1 tablespoon liver

thats for the whole day if i do it in 1 feeding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.