Advice and input needed on final BARF plan and weights. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mog

Default Advice and input needed on final BARF plan and weights.

Hi,

I'm getting ready to place a bulk order for food for our new pup. The food is coming in fresh and I'll need to package it and store it in the freezer. Since it's going to be a 400lb order, I want to do it right the first time and not have to defrost/change it much. I purchased a 15 cf freezer and plan on buying his food in bulk for 5 months at a time.

My question is... how much should I plan on the pup eating at 8 weeks old? From all my research, it seems that 1.8-2lbs is the norm for pups and adults alike...

I thought I would start at 1.8lbs a day, split into two meals. Both meals would have an equal amount of RMB, MM and OM.

RMB – 12.6 oz
MM – 14 oz
OM – 1.4 oz

I'm going to add a heaping teaspoon of Tripe to each dinner.

I'm going to give 1-2 raw eggs a week until he's 6 months and then go to 2-3 a week.

At 4 months old, I'm going to start supplementing salmon oil/Vit E.

I'm going to start Maximus off with Chicken necks and wings as the RMB and chicken meat as the MM. I'm going to be using Beef and Pork heart as the main MM and will introduce/try those out a week after the chicken to see how he handles the new protein source.

For the OM, I'm going to use Beef liver and Beef Kidney.

I'm also buying Pork necks, turkey necks, Chicken backs, thighs and leg quarters to use as his RMB as he gets older.

So I'd like any and all input on the above plan It's a big order and I plan on placing the order Thursday and picking it up on Friday and spending half the night packaging it all

Also, any ideas on where I can buy a few hundred zip lock bags in bulk?

Thanks!

Alex

Maximus - Male Sable - Born 1/30/2013

Last edited by Mog; 02-18-2013 at 02:13 PM. Reason: grammar
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 06:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

That'll work for the first 6 months, but personally I would be looking for more organ variety. Pork & chicken OM are pretty easy to find. I wouldn't bother feeding in small bits because it's so tedious. Instead of a spoonful of tripe at every meal just make it 1-2 meals of tripe a week. Also, I think you need more variety in cuts. Just feeding beef/pork heart & chicken for MM doesn't work for me. As a basic starter it looks pretty good though.

Pookie, Papillon 4/17/09
Kaiser, GSD 4/14/11
Verivus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 08:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Mog

Thanks Chrissy.

I forgot to mention Talapia fillets for MM as well.

I'm going to look into other OM too, but don't want to buy it in bulk (30lb box) because I won't have the freezer space. I'll look into pork and chicken OM, but in smaller quantities on a monthly basis.

What else do you recommend for MM that isn't too expensive? Ground beef and turkey can be a bit pricey. I'm looking for venison in the area, but haven't had much luck. For me, unfortunately, cost is an issue. Everything I'm ordering is basically under .75 cents a lb. I'm going to keep an eye on local specials at the supermarkets in the area and try to pick up what I can when the price is decent.

Alex

Old 02-19-2013, 10:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mog View Post
Thanks Chrissy.

I forgot to mention Talapia fillets for MM as well.

I'm going to look into other OM too, but don't want to buy it in bulk (30lb box) because I won't have the freezer space. I'll look into pork and chicken OM, but in smaller quantities on a monthly basis.
Be careful with the tilapia. My dog won't eat it. He'll eat mackerel, but not tilapia. And I'll frequently grind some pork roast as MM. I can get it on sale for about....$.99/lb.

Also, if you have some local (non-chain) grocery stores, be sure to ask if they'll give you some of the meat that is past its sell-by date. Big chains like Kroger and such won't do it, but a market near me sometimes has past-date ground beef that they'll give me for free. And its funny how many friends/relatives have heard how I'm feeding Gabe and come out of the woodwork with freezer-burned meat when they clean out their freezers.

One of my coworkers' family had a "turkey Olympics" every year, where they do shotput, bowling, etc. with raw turkeys....and have historically just thrown them away when they were done. When she heard how I feed Gabe....I got a freezer full of free turkey! Point is...there are resources you never thought of.

Gable: Black and Red GSD: 03/02/2012 -
Suki: Russian Blue: 03/02/2013 -
Anitsisqua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 08:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Mog

Thanks Anitsisqua!

I actually stopped into one of the chain grocery stores last night and spoke to someone behind the meat counter. He gave me 40 lbs of expired meat (dated yesterday) and said I'm welcome to come back every day if I want and take what they have! Never expected a chain to do that, but glad he did.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I think you are off to a good start. Let your pup be your guide. He will tell you what is working and what is not. There are somethings mine will not eat raw. For example any kind of organ meat. However if I take it outside and throw it on the BBQ grill for a few moments he goes nuts for it. Whatever. It doesn't have to be an exact science. Just have fun with it and enjoy your dog. Overtime you will develop a menu that works and a system of purchasing / storage that works as well. Can't wait to meet Maximus!
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 11:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Lucky you, Mog! I asked the stores in my area, and all the chains told me it's against their policy to give away the expired meat. I guess things are a little different in North Carolina.

Congratulations on your good fortune!

Old 02-20-2013, 11:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
Mog

Thanks Rob, I can't wait to meet him too! 3 weeks from today we go to meet the puppies and pick out Max. I'm going to do a basic PAWS test to get an idea on each pup. Since there is one person ahead of us, I have to make a 1st and 2nd pick in case our first is taken... Hoping if the pup starts eating raw from day one, it may make him more inclined to eat OM

Thanks Anitsisqua. I know I checked years back about getting expired meat in NY and was told that they wouldn't/couldn't do it. But when you mentioned it, I figured what do I have to lose and asked. So glad I did, as it will really help out and give me the option to give Maximus a lot more variety than I would have been able to otherwise.

I shop at two different grocery stores primarily and going to ask the manager at the other one today Would be nice if I could get two sources, but totally happy that I have at least one now!

Old 02-20-2013, 11:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitsisqua View Post
Lucky you, Mog! I asked the stores in my area, and all the chains told me it's against their policy to give away the expired meat. I guess things are a little different in North Carolina.

Congratulations on your good fortune!
Not really a NC issue. I have asked the same question and did not get the positive response Alex got. I was flat turned down for expired meat.
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 11:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Mog, I don't know about others, but Gabe likes the OM best. He never had any sort of disinclination to eat it, so you'll probably be ok there.

Dang, robk...you burst my bubble. There's a good chance I'll be moving up to Knoxville in a few months, and I was hoping that area grocery stores were just a little freer in giving out expired meat. Either way, I'll have to start asking around if/when I get there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.