I have some questions I'm hoping someone would be able to help out with. I have been doing a lot of reading and loved The Raw Dog Ranch's website, but the links for puppies is not working and I have some questions regarding an 8 week old puppy as I would like to start my pup out on BARF/Raw.
1. When I bring Maximus home, he'll be 8 weeks old. I haven't had a pup in a long time, so bear with me, but at that age, what can he eat as far as RMB? Will he be able to eat a Chicken leg, thigh, etc? I'm worried about bones... Should I limit him to the type of RMB's he eats? And if so, when can I start introducing "bigger" pieces?
2. If the breeder has him on kibble, should I start him off on chicken and then slowly introduce him to other proteins sources for RMB? Should I start off with Chicken say 5 days a week and then add beef on the other two?
3. Not knowing his weight, from what I've read, at 8 weeks he should be eating around 2lbs a day. So I was planning on one lb of chicken in the morning, 1lb of MM and a small amount of OM for dinner. An egg 2-3 times a week, Salmon Oil and Vit E if not in already daily, a small amount of tripe 3 times a week. Does this sound okay?
4. At what point, do you go down from the 2lbs a day? I'll keep an eye on him and feel him to see if he needs to eat more or less, but I know he'll be growing in leaps and bounds and want to make sure I'm starting off right.
5. What about multivitamins? Should they be given daily, weekly, if at all? And when people talk about multivitamins, do they have vitamins specificlaly for dogs?
He'll be crated during the day on week days unfortuantely, but I plan on spending several hours over the course of the evening keeping him engaged, playing, training, etc... and as much as he needs on the weekends. Going to start taking him to different enviornents at least 4 times a week as well as soon as I bring him home, so he should have more than enough exercise.
Lori's posts and site have been great, but I can't find anything specifically dealing with 8 week old pups and a raw diet, so would appreciate your advice. I really want to do what's best for Maximus