Are these good prices? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 11:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
everythings smaller in TX
Size is relative, weight is constant
Packen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 11:56 PM   #12 (permalink)

The prices aren't bad - considering you are paying for the convenience of having it ground and pre-packaged.

I just found a place north of me that has chicken necks and backs for $.29/lb. For an extra $.30/lb they will grind and bag in a 5 lb bag for me.

I just got chicken necks and backs, ground tripe and some turkey hearts. Very nice prices.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) – Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 08:16 AM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm on my phone so I didn't check the link but I only pay 59 cents a pounds for turkey necks, 49 cents a pound for chicken necks and $1.27 for ground turkey......so you might want to look around. Also the cheapest prices I've seen for beef is from blue ridge beef. They also have ground venison with bone in it. You might want to see if there is a dealer near you.
GSDElsa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 08:20 AM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Haha ok I finally went to the link and see it's brb! Doh! You wont find cheaper red meat prices than that likely unless you find a hunter to give you some venison.

One thing with brb is I think the bone ratio is high so you'll want to give some muscle meat with the mix wroth bone
GSDElsa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 08:50 AM   #15 (permalink)

Meeting a friend today about a freezer. My problem is not finding a cheap/free freezer, but where to put it? I already have an electrical problem with the circuit in the basement, so I'm hoping it would work in the garage. It would have to be moved in the summer though.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 09:18 AM   #16 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I pay about 37.50$ per 30lb case of BRB chubs - wholesale bc of my club buying together. I add in some ground veggies per a training buddy's advice. I get chicken and other cheap proteins from the grocer for less per lb than the BRB. When we travel, I pack in a cooler with ice and store it in a fridge at the destination. Personally, I would not mix w/kibble. BRB is easy to store and does not take much space because it is ground and in nice little chubs.
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 09:21 AM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Prices are all relative to your location. I don't think we can compare what east or west coasters pay. If I can get anything for under a buck a pound, it is a good deal. Though chicken should run much less of course. I get backs for 29cents #, thats the lowest cost of anything my dogs eat.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:38 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbchottu View Post
When we travel, I pack in a cooler with ice and store it in a fridge at the destination. Personally, I would not mix w/kibble. BRB is easy to store and does not take much space because it is ground and in nice little chubs.
It's rare that I have a fridge or working freezer available when I travel. We go away for at least two weeks every summer and there's no possibility of storing raw food because there is no freezer available and the electricity there is iffy. Our vacations are more rugged. Every hotel room I've been in with my dogs that has actually had a little minifridge has not been working and none have had a place to store frozen goods. We don't have room for coolers in the van, we already travel with 2-3 people and 4-5 dogs at a time all kenneled, plus all the gear we need for up to two weeks. I've used a hitch rack in the past but the hitch on my van is so low that the rack rides about 4 inches off the ground if packed with more than 30lbs and it was scraping so I sold it (luckily I got it for really cheap brand new and sold it for the same amount).

I've supplemented my dogs with raw for a while just not from this source. As long as they aren't getting way too much fat or way too much bone at once it has never seemed to matter.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 09:47 AM   #19 (permalink)
Knighted Member

You mentioned dehydrated raw is not an option so I suppose that's out. I guess there are people who mix with no issues - I just personally wouldn't. Take a look at the BRB chubs and decide about storing for shorter term. They are fairly small - can be packed away even in very small spaces. Not like traditional raw.
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 10:09 AM   #20 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

The original RDP person just moved to TX. She brought in MyPetCarnivore products along with the BRB. I have not used the BRB stuff though once my two cases of tripe run out I'll be getting my tripe from them. Friend uses these products. Her complaint is that they are not complete like the MPC products. No organ meats are included so she has to get them elsewhere. I wish they had a better selection of products.

As far as feeding; I have a couple of friends that feed some type of raw in the mornings (usually chicken leg quarters) and then kibble at night. Their dogs do very well on it. You might look into getting tripe to add to your dogs' diet and then just mix up the different poultry you can get locally for your morning meals. The hard part about the tripe with only 2 dogs is 2# is a lot and it smells way too bad to use it over several days time. With my guys I can feed all 2# in one meal.

Traveling with raw dogs is difficult. I used dehydrated when I took Vala to Germany and then just added in some stuff I could get locally.
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.