RAW and SERVICE DOGS - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013, 10:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default RAW and SERVICE DOGS

I am an advocate of an all-natural raw diet. I cringe when the Vet or organizations like Pet Partners (formerly Delta Society) use scare tactics and/or disallow (RAW DIET). When done correctly it is truly IMO the best for your animal’s health. I guess in this regard politics and money truly mean more to them than your animals health and nutrition.

What do you say to the scare tactics used about feeding an all-natural raw diet?
SFGSSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 10:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFGSSD View Post

What do you say to the scare tactics used about feeding an all-natural raw diet?
Suck it
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 10:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBytes View Post
Suck it
I like it. But is there a more Politically correct version?
Old 01-11-2013, 11:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Who do you have to explain your dogs diet to? I don't think you'll ever change the mind of a person who can make $ from the kibble industry. And I bet some of those organizations get donations from them. So they'd be biting themselves in the butt if they advocated against them.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I say...

How can a highly processed denatured "food" with low animal protein from diseased and rotting in the field animals, road kill, euthinized shelter animals, parasites feasting on these, the drugs used to PTS, processed and/or from china, paired up with high carbohydrates fraught with GMO's, rotting and mouldy fruits and veg (not fit for human consumption) other fillers to bind the food both in the finished product and in the gut, then a synthetic premix of vitamins and minerals (also from china) added back into the mix to make up for the natural nutrients that were cooked out just to meet AAFCO bare minimum and then hosed down with rendered fats that oxidize once the bag is cut open and starts to turn rancid producing cancer causing carcinogens "preserved with mixed tocopherals and/or vit. C" which also go rancid when exposed to light and air, that posesses a year plus exp. (like a box of crackers), be better then raw biologically appropriate natural to the carnivore with 100% of essential amino acids and enzymes req'd for every cellular process in the body and incl. immune health...?

yep. That is what I'd say
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown

Last edited by GatorBytes; 01-11-2013 at 11:33 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Service dogs also need to be fully vaccinated and bathed. No thanks for me.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 11:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Forgot the salmonella in kibble.
More likely to get sick from a sick dog - a kibble dog
Old 01-11-2013, 11:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBytes View Post
I say...

How can a highly processed denatured "food" with low animal protein from diseased and rotting in the field animals, road kill, euthinized shelter animals, parasites feasting on these, the drugs used to PTS, processed and/or from china, paired up with high carbohydrates fraught with GMO's, rotting and mouldy fruits and veg (not fit for human consumption) other fillers to bind the food both in the finished product and in the gut, then a synthetic premix of vitamins and minerals (also from china) added back into the mix to make up for the natural nutrients that were cooked out just to meet AAFCO bare minimum and then hosed down with rendered fats that oxidize once the bag is cut open and starts to turn rancid producing cancer causing carcinogens "preserved with mixed tocopherals and/or vit. C" which also go rancid when exposed to light and air, that posesses a year plus exp. (like a box of crackers), be better then raw biologically appropriate natural to the carnivore with 100% of essential amino acids and enzymes req'd for every cellular process in the body and incl. immune health...?

yep. That is what I'd say
WOW, that would send anyone straight to Google to look that up Thank you, I get annoyed with politics and ignorance when it comes to these animals. Sadly the people that truly know how to care for them get ridiculed just because they are not following the acceptable perceived norm.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

I saw do your own research and make your own decision.

And actually, this has nothing to do with raw and Service Dogs. Pet Partners is a Therapy Dog organization.

No-one can tell a Service Dog owner what to feed their dog.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) – Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 12:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFGSSD View Post
WOW, that would send anyone straight to Google to look that up Thank you, I get annoyed with politics and ignorance when it comes to these animals. Sadly the people that truly know how to care for them get ridiculed just because they are not following the acceptable perceived norm.
Who ridicules service dog handlers in the first place? Do you hear a lot of people complaining about getting ridiculed? I've never heard of anyone getting ridiculed for feeding any kind of food to their dog, be it a SD or a pet.

If this has to do with the training organization telling the handler what to feed their dog...I don't see a problem with it. They put a lot of time and effort into training the dog, gave it to that person for free, and if they believe kibble is the better food then they should be listened to.

In the previous thread about service dogs and therapy dogs, you used a couple of organizations as back up for the fact that they don't believe service dogs should do therapy, now you're saying those same organizations don't know what they're talking about when it comes to food and nutrition. I'm confused, should we just pick and choose what we feel like those organizations are "experts" in?

Last edited by martemchik; 01-12-2013 at 12:03 AM.
martemchik is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.