RAW and SERVICE DOGS - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 12:06 AM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
One could say the same (paranoia) about raw feeders and their feelings towards kibble
I guess you got a point. I do not think all "Commercial Dog Food" is bad. I do also recommend Orijen and Taste of the Wild
SFGSSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 09:48 AM   #22 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFGSSD View Post
I am on the fence with this policy in general. I do not retain ownership of the dogs that are certified through SFGSSD. Although I do not retain ownership of the dog I do have the right to not recertify any dog that no longer meets acceptable tolerances in accordance with the guidelines of this company. We do check up on our clients quarterly throughout the year and re-test for certification on an annual basis. We also encourage our clients to contact us immediately if any performance issues surface so we can address and correct them in a timely manner. If the client chooses to not heed our advice and the dog fails recertification as a result, it is the client’s responsibility to bring the dog to acceptable levels of performance for certification by SFGSSD. In either case we do not use the threat of taking the dog away from them. I feel that is to emotionally tolling on the client.

However, there are organizations that use this (*Leased* we will take the dog if you don't do what we say) clause as leverage to mask their own negligence. That is what I have a major problem with in regards to this policy. If the client is being negligent... well... I can see why this can be viewed as acceptable policy. But I do feel "taking the dog away" in most situations is to emotionally tolling on the disabled handler. This is why we will not take the dog but we will not recertify the dog if they (The handler) are the ones that messed the dog up and refuse to comply with our program guidelines. *NOTE Certification is NOT a requirement of Federal law to legally be considered a Service Dog in accordance with the ADA. I do feel that a certification process backed by the Federal Government is in order to clean up a lot of the questionable mess that goes on in regards to Service Dogs. The suggestion of a Federal (License/Certification) is met with a lot of resistance from the owner trainer crowd even with some Service Dog organizations. I guess if I had or was producing questionable Service Dogs I would not want to be accountable either.
This is getting a little off topic. I appriciate your input and there is a discussion in the Service Dog forum about policy of SD orgs Owner trainers etc. Please join us there
Very true, it does suck that they can take the dog away. But that's just a fact of life that some of them do have to do that. I think you should only do it if the person is being really negligent though, and that's probably less than 1% of service dog handlers. I'm guessing the large majority is so thankful to have the dog that they treat it better than some of us treat ours.

With regards to federal regulation...it would help, but the reason people don't want it is that the government doesn't do things well. They get input from a small minority of "experts" and then they do things the way those experts tell them. So...they would pick an organization that is doing things one way, and try to get all other organizations to do things that way. They could really care less about the cost or benefit of it. Plus...its just one more thing that the tax payers will have to pony up for and to tell you the truth, I see better ways of spending tax dollars than hiring service dog regulators for the whole entire United States that would go around testing dogs.

Don't know if you've read through the "responsible breeder" bill or whatever its called and how wrong the government was in that one on what the majority of this board would feel is a responsible breeder. They pretty much wanted to make all dogs used for breeding living like farm animals. So something that was meant to stop puppy mills, would actually just put a lot of good breeders out of business.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 12:22 PM   #23 (permalink)

Let's keep this about raw feeding. The SD/TD stuff should go in that section of the board.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.