Bones keep getting stuck. Help! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 10:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Bones keep getting stuck. Help!

i love the raw food diet but lately wolf has been getting bones stuck in his throat and it's really scary. it's happened three times in the past week (once with beef neck, once with chuck roast bone, and once with pork neck). i don't know what to do, i don't want to switch to kibble but i don't want this to keep happening. i thought maybe its the type of bone, but he refuses to eat any other type he is a very picky eater. i don't cut them down or anything, because i read cutting them into small peces can get them stuck and the dog is supposed to kind of chew the big pieces. does anyone have any suggestions?
LissG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 10:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
jae
Master Member

Once I had a beef neck bone get lodged in his stomach. Those red meat bones are awfully dense. Skip the beef, pork, lamb, deer bones and stick to poultry and fish, I have yet to have a problem with those.
jae is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 10:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

if i give him any other type of bone he won't eat it
Old 12-31-2012, 11:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

How big are the pieces you are giving? Is he chewing or just gulping. How long has he been eating raw? I can't remember. I feed pork neck, lamb and mutton often so it is not the bones.
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 04:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

hes been eating raw for over a year now. i don't cut the pieces of bones up, how they come from the grocery store (sliced but ind of big) is how he gets them. i hear him chewing it pretty good....i was thinking about grinding the bones, but i was afraid they wouldn't be as good for him ground up-keeping them whole really cleans his teeth and keeps them in good shape.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

The pork neck I feed is in large pieces (the necks are split in 1/2 and then those long pieces cut in 1/2). Ground may have to be an option and then use some other types of bone for teeth cleaning. Is there any other dog around that could be causing him to eat too fast and not chew enough. Usually once a dog has tried to swallow too big of a piece they learn to chew a bit more.

Only issue I have had with pork neck has been when Alexis seemed to be having an a problem digesting it. I gave her ground for a little while and now she is fine again.
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 12:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

I haven't had many dogs that can actually eat beef bones (other than the soft knuckle bones). I'd stay away from them.

Have you tried lamb necks? Lamb is a much softer bone.

If you offer him a chicken leg he won't eat it?
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) – Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 12:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

grind the bones. brush his teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LissG View Post
hes been eating raw for over a year now. i don't cut the pieces of bones up, how they come from the grocery store (sliced but ind of big) is how he gets them. i hear him chewing it pretty good....i was thinking about grinding the bones, but i was afraid they wouldn't be as good for him ground up-keeping them whole really cleans his teeth and keeps them in good shape.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 03:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

there aren't any other dogs around, wolfy is an only child .
wolf LOVES lamb but it's hard to come by at the store and even at my butcher :-\.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

if i give him chicken necks, goose neck, chicken back or chicken quarters-he'd rather go hungry then eat it.
i'm having a hard time finding a meat grinder that can grind bones. none of them say if they can or not. does anyone know of a certain type that does?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.