Salmonella/Other Bacteria and Humans - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 12:38 AM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Another rabbit trail but...if that's all true, then people should be healed the moment they get bitten by a dog!
Oddly they always need antibiotics

Woman Loses Hands, Feet From Bacterial Infection Caused By Dog’s Saliva CBS Atlanta

http://atlanta.cbslocal.com/2012/09/...-illness-dies/
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 12:47 AM   #12 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Question though...was it a kibble fed dog???

speculated that it came from the dog, and maybe the dog was immuno compromised and not able to fend off the bateria it was carrying.

So many things to factor - loose article

and humans don't always "need" abx. that is the gross over abuse of abx. Now cats - that is a diff. story...you have a 7-11 or 18% chance of getting a bacterial infection from a dog - Cats - 60-80%
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown

Last edited by GatorBytes; 12-31-2012 at 12:50 AM.
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 12:49 AM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

It's a bacteria commonly found in dog's mouths...because they are not "cleaner than ours".
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collette17n View Post
My question is this - after my dog eats and he goes sniffing around, licking the floor, people's hands, faces, etc, don't I need I worry about the people getting salmonella??? Or the house being covered in it???
I've been feeding raw to my dogs for over 15 years now. In that time my dogs have consumed close to 20 THOUSAND POUNDS of raw meat (and some of that meat was NOT fit for human consumption).

I wash my hands after I'm finished handling the meat (but sometimes forget WHILE I'm handling the meat and touch my mouth or other things). I rarely wash the dogs bowls - maybe once every other month. Each dog licks their bowl clean then go around and lick everyone else bowls clean. That's 7 rounds of licking per bowl - I'd say it's clean enough.

I don't bother cleaning up the floor unless I SEE food or juice. Again - 7 dogs cleaning up after each other.

The ONLY time I did not handle the dogs food was when I was going through chemo. Then my husband did all the feeding. I still let the dogs lick me and such.

I have never been sick from the dogs eating raw. My husband has never been sick from the dogs eating raw. The DOGS have never been sick from eating raw.

I say don't worry, follow normal raw-meat-handling protocols and don't bother telling your visitors what the dogs eat.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) – Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 12:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

salmonella is overrated. i don't feed raw but i do
give my dog raw chicken backs, fresh femur bones
and a 4oz raw beef pattie with his food sometimes.
i haven't had any problems with tainted food.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 01:06 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
Immunocompromised people are advised to not feed raw, and if you have a therapy dog that visits nursing homes, kids' classrooms or hospitals, etc. you are not able to feed raw.
Some Therapy Dog certification organizations tell you not to feed raw. Some do not care.
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Old 01-01-2013, 01:27 PM   #17 (permalink)
Elite Member

Here are some links on bacteria found in raw meat and arguments against raw feeding if you're interested.

Study: Drug-Resistant Bacteria in U.S. Meat

Science-Based Medicine Raw Meat and Bone Diets for Dogs: It?s Enough to Make You BARF

PetDiets

http://www.csuvets.colostate.edu/pai...Raw%20Meat.pdf

One of my concerns with people feeding a home prepared diet is that it is balanced. Monica Segal has some good books/booklets on the subject: K9Kitchen: The Truth Behind The Hype

Good luck

Michaela

Heidi Mouse 02/10/1995 - 02/21/2009
Heidigsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master Member

Been supplementing with raw foods, including raw eggs, for 12 years now. I've never encountered salmonella or e-coli, and neither have my dogs. I've not taken extra precautions, just use common sense
Jo Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #19 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Salmonella is common in the environment - it is in the soil and spores are in the air - as part of the natural balance of bacteria that cover the earth.

Normal feeding and handling of raw meat is not a risk above and beyond the salmonella one gets in contact with when handling and preparing food for human consumption. People who over-do the sanitizing in their home because of concern of 'bad' bacteria, also disrupt the balance of good bacteria that helps keep salmonella and other pathogens in check.

Someone recently started a thread here, asking if anyone here has ever gotten sick from feeding raw, and I don't think that there was one single person who has.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 01:52 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidigsd View Post
Here are some links on bacteria found in raw meat and arguments against raw feeding if you're interested.

Study: Drug-Resistant Bacteria in U.S. Meat
That article refers to Staphylococccus aureus:

Quote:
Researchers testing raw turkey, pork, beef, and chicken purchased at grocery stores in five different cities across the U.S. say that roughly one in four of those samples tested positive for a multidrug antibiotic-resistant “superbug” bacterium.

“The findings were pretty shocking,” says study researcher Lance B. Price, PhD, director of the Center of Food Microbiology and Environmental Health at the Translational Genomics Research Institute in Flagstaff, Ariz. “We found that 47% of the samples were contaminated with Staph aureus, and more than half of those strains were multidrug resistant, or resistant to three or more antibiotics.”

Sounds scary, doesn't it? Until you learn more about Staphylococccus aureus ... (from What is Staphylococcus Aureus?)

I colored the parts that are really important.

Quote:

Staphylococcaceae Family

Staphylococcus aureus belongs to the family Staphylococcaceae. It affects all known mammalian species, including humans. Further due to its ability to affect a wide range of species, S. aureus can be readily transmitted from one species to another. This includes transmission between humans and animals.
Transmission of Staphylococcus aureus

S. aureus may occur commonly in the environment. S. aureus is transmitted through air droplets or aerosol. When an infected person coughs or sneezes, he or she releases numerous small droplets of saliva that remain suspended in air. These contain the bacteria and can infect others.
Another common method of transmission is through direct contact with objects that are contaminated by the bacteria or by bites from infected persons or animals. Approximately 30% of healthy humans carry S. aureus in their nose, back of the throat and on their skin.
Clinical manifestation of infection

Around one third of healthy individuals carry this bacteria in their noses, pharynx and on their skin. In normal healthy and immunocompentent person, S. aureus colonization of the skin, intestinal tract, or nasopharynx does not lead to any symptoms or disease.
When S. aureus is isolated from an abscess or boil or other skin lesion, it is usually due to its secondary invasion of a wound rather than the primary cause of disease. S. aureus may similarly be isolated from abscesses, breast absecesses or mastitis, dermatitis or skin infections and genital tract infections.
S. aureus is considered the classic opportunist in this way since it takes advantage of broken skin or other entry sites to cause an infection.
In animals and humans that are immunocompromised or immunodeficient, this bacteria may be life threatening. It may lead to pyogenic (abscessing) infections of the skin, eyes and genital tract.
What does S. aureus cause?

Of the variety of manifestations S. aureus may cause:
Diagnosis

Presence of S. aureus in culture is normally insignificant since this bacteria is normally present on the skin, nose and pharynx of many humans and animals. The organism is readily cultured from nasopharynx or skin, or by culture of suspicious lesions.
On culture the bacterial colonies a characteristic glistening, opaque, yellow to white appearance on blood agar.

So, what that means is that the people in that article found something that's pretty much everywhere anyways and that if you are a healthy person you don't have to worry about it.

I call that fear mongering and it really annoys me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.