Illness from raw - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 08:22 PM   #21 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
The last time I got food poisoning was after eating at a mexican restaurant.
Last time I got it, it was from Applebee's.
Now every time I pass by one I mutter under my breath about, "Crapplebee's..."
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 09:04 PM   #22 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2GSDs View Post
You are MUCH more likely to get salmonella by going up the escalator at the mall where thousands of people (with unwashed hands) are touching the same railing that you are! Sooooooo, Happy Christmas Shopping everyone!!!! LOL
And don't eat the snacks set out on a bar. How many drunks wash their hands after going to the bathroom before diving into the pretzels?

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 09:36 PM   #23 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My vet said the same thing. Molly has never been ill from raw. She's had colitis and very soft stool from kibble. Her coat is beautiful too, from raw and less shedding.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 10:33 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master Member

20 years of raw feeding, never caught anything from that. Got food poisoning from eating at a Ruby Tuesday's once tho, on a 2 day drive home from a dog event. THAT was a rough drive home!!
PAM FGDCh Ianna von Sontausen UDX,BH,TD,RE,PT (4.26.1998 - 2.11.2013)
DunRingill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 12:38 AM   #25 (permalink)

I've fed thousands of pounds of raw meat and bone to my dogs. Some of it was nasty (as in gone past it's good-by date, smelled rank and so on), most of it was good. Never had a problem with myself, my husband or the dogs.

The ONLY time I was cautious was when I was going through chemo for breast cancer. During that time my DH fed the dogs and cleaned up after them. I didn't allow them to lick me on the mouth right after they ate (but would let them later).

Ask the butcher at the grocery store if he gets sick from handling all that raw meat.

Just use common sense when it comes to handling the meat and you will be fine.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Ė Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 10:50 PM   #26 (permalink)

Never been sick. For some odd reason, Tank likes to take his RMB out of his bowl and take it to the dining room to eat on the carpet, but will eat his MM meal from the bowl.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:04 PM   #27 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri & The Gang View Post
I've fed thousands of pounds of raw meat and bone to my dogs. Some of it was nasty (as in gone past it's good-by date, smelled rank and so on), most of it was good. Never had a problem with myself, my husband or the dogs.

The ONLY time I was cautious was when I was going through chemo for breast cancer. During that time my DH fed the dogs and cleaned up after them. I didn't allow them to lick me on the mouth right after they ate (but would let them later).

Ask the butcher at the grocery store if he gets sick from handling all that raw meat.

Just use common sense when it comes to handling the meat and you will be fine.

I agree, donít let the Vet talk you into Science Diet or anyone else use scare tactics on you. My dogs live longer and have less health problems from feeding raw for over 40 years. NEVER have I had a health problem because of it. Neither have my dogs. Just wash your hands and donít eat it yourself and you should not have a problem either.
SFGSSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 11:12 PM   #28 (permalink)

A raw fed dog is a healthy dog! I know professional breeders who plainly state on there websites that since they began feeding a raw diet to all their dogs they no longer need the vet; unless its an emergency. No vaccines, nothing! They are just much healthier than a dog fed kibble.
A lot of vets are like a lot of doctors, if something actually helps you or cures a disease you have and they can't control it and prescribe it to make money from it then they would be out of a job.
A raw fed healthy dog that doesn't need to see a vet constantly is hurting their business.
I believe in using vets and I do get mine checked up on, but I know very well that the Science Diet dog food that my vet sells and tries to make sure I keep my dogs on is not the best thing for my dogs to eat.
You even mention raw food diet around my vet and disgust comes over their face.
As long as you clean up after yourself when handling raw foods and immediately wash out any feeding bowls everything should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
VanBuren shepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 11:22 PM   #29 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanBuren shepherds View Post
A raw fed dog is a healthy dog! I know professional breeders who plainly state on there websites that since they began feeding a raw diet to all their dogs they no longer need the vet; unless its an emergency. No vaccines, nothing! They are just much healthier than a dog fed kibble.
A lot of vets are like a lot of doctors, if something actually helps you or cures a disease you have and they can't control it and prescribe it to make money from it then they would be out of a job.
A raw fed healthy dog that doesn't need to see a vet constantly is hurting their business.
I believe in using vets and I do get mine checked up on, but I know very well that the Science Diet dog food that my vet sells and tries to make sure I keep my dogs on is not the best thing for my dogs to eat.
You even mention raw food diet around my vet and disgust comes over their face.
As long as you clean up after yourself when handling raw foods and immediately wash out any feeding bowls everything should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Agree fully
SFGSSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.