Chicken backs/frames? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 07:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Chicken backs/frames?

Hiya

I've been thinking I might replace my guys breakfast dog biscuit with a chicken frame every morning.
Do you think a chicken frame every day is too much? He's 9 month old and could do with a bit of extra weight on him.
He still gets kibble at night because I'm not sure I'll get a totally raw diet right.

i can also get brisket bones easily he does love those but I worry about the harder bones at the ends of the brisket.

Thank you
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 09:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Backs contains alot of bone. I wouldn't give just that as it isn't balanced. Add in some ground meat and it should be fine as a meal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 09:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

You will have to look at the frames and decide how much meat is on them. Jane is right, the chicken backs in the USA are pretty much all bone. I believe the frames you get in Australia are larger than what we are used to, but may still be mostly bone and fat. If so, you will probably need to add some meat.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 01:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

A good 70% of my dogs' diet does come from chicken frames , but mine are meaty , so much so that I have used them to make soups and pot pies once the meat has been stripped off .
When dogs are in active mode , more exertion, I reduce the chicken , which is great for collagen and chondroitin , and increase the red meat .
This is a formula used in racing sled dogs .

Now here is some news, Orijen now has a great freeze dried product , recently released , I can't get the official brochure to down load so am using this link http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177261 --

Schutzhund USA Sept/Oct 2010 Yvette Woodward page 58
"A bit of math is required because the guidelines are "Unit DM basis" - "dry matter" basis -- whereas most dog food labels contain percentages of protein, fat, etc. in an "as fed" basis. Even dry kibble contains moisture , and wet food such as canned or raw food can contain a lot of water, which can appear to skew the results.
For example a dry kibble may contain 20% protein and 10% moisture . Thus 90% is "dry matter" (DM) and to get the DM protein content divide 20% by 90% to get 22% protein . On the ohter hand, a wet dog food might contain 5% protein and 80% moisture. The DM protein content is 5% divided by 20% dry matter for an actual protein content of 25%. Thus, the "5% protein" dog food actually contains more protein than the food labeled as 20% . Clearly this can cause confusion to the consumer . Although the mathematics can be onerous it is essential to convert the label contents into dry matter basis to make comparisons between brands and between types of dog food, especially when comparing dry kibble with a "wet" food such as a raw diet or canned food . Raw diets, whether fed from a prepackaged mixture or straight from the butchers block can contain a large percentage of water compared to kibble. Consider that our own bodies are about 2/3 by weight water. Animal tissue is comparable. "
end quote - author again was , Yvette Woodward .

I included this because the protein values you see on this freeze dried food are high -- and this is the reason why ---

Actually I'll come out now and reveal that years ago I was involved with a person that was going to formulate freeze dried food , same as used in mountaineering and space exploration. We even had a freeze drier, had it installed in a plant already operating and then things went wrong -- one of them being this machine still had freon which is outlawed in Canada so we could not top off the levels - back to square one, again and again and finally the other party backed away from the veture.

This Orijen product looks very interesting.
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 07:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

I've had a freeze dried RAW from new Zealand before, it was good but smelt disgusting.
Unfortunately it is REALLY expensive I could not afford to feed both my dogs just that

Those calculation are rather confusing LOL
I've ordered a couple of books on raw feeding to help me out a bit as well as all the info on here Hopefully I feel brave enough to make the switch soon.
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.