German Shepherds Forum banner

Lower calorie raw foods

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  MattLink 
#1 ·
Link's been gaining weight rapidly around the gut lately. My main concern is that it could agitate a future HD problem. I put an exhaustive amount of effort into keeping him healthy, but my older brother (who I rent a house with) recently got laid off for the season and is home all the time now. I'm sure he's the problem - so once I've kicked his ass for being a tool, I want to work on getting Link to an appropriate size, and I'd like to feed lower calorie foods. So being the ignorant person that i am on this topic, i ask you guys;
what raw foods contain the lowest calories??

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#2 ·
Rabbit, turkey when comparing to beef, lamb, chicken and pork. Venison would be another to look into.

#3 ·
Fat should be between 7% to 10% for some dogs. Although they need the fat, excess fat for some dogs could cause a weight gain of ½ to 1 pound per week! If you had the same amount of lean meat and fat, the fat contains 2 times the calories of muscle meat! If buying commercially prepared raw meat meals, check the ingredient label for the percentage.

Hope this helps!:)

#5 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.