deer meat - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 10:45 AM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

Taken from this website: Myths About Raw: Will my dog aquire parasites from raw meat?

Freezing meat can help kill many parasites (such as the parasite present in salmon that CAN cause a deadly disease in dogs; freezing fresh raw salmon, steelhead, trout, and other salmonids for at least 24 hours before feeding effectively disposes of the parasite. Cooked salmon does not carry the parasite.). As long as one exercises caution in obtaining their meat, parasites are a non-issue. If feeding fresh salmonids or wild game, it is recommended that the meat be deep frozen for at least 24 hours before feeding for salmonids and one month for wild game.
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 08:39 PM   #12 (permalink)

We feed venison to the dogs and eat it ourselves, always frozen first! We eat 1-2 year old venison and the dogs get anything older. As long as it has not thawed and frozen again and isn't freezer burnt you can keep it a looooooong time! My friend gives me venison she thinks is too old for her to eat and half the time we eat it instead of giving it to the dogs.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 02:28 AM   #13 (permalink)

Personally, I don't bother freezing stuff first (expect the stuff I buy in bulk).

My dogs catch, kill and eat wild rabbits and other critters and have no ill effects.

Well, they did once get tape worms from the fleas on the rabbits but a quick worming took care of that.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) – Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 08:55 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master Member

I freeze mine for a few days (3-5) before cooking. Never have fed raw so no real input there
TommyB681 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 09:38 AM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I freeze mine, then thaw it when I need it and cook it up.
Koda rarely gets meat that's actually raw. Matt says that she's the canine queen and needs all her food cooked special. I have a never-ending list of doggy-meal recipes that are all natural and good for her to eat.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:35 AM   #16 (permalink)

Default Menu Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsdLoverr729 View Post
I freeze mine, then thaw it when I need it and cook it up.
Koda rarely gets meat that's actually raw. Matt says that she's the canine queen and needs all her food cooked special. I have a never-ending list of doggy-meal recipes that are all natural and good for her to eat.

I have been reading some of the raw food discussions on the website and it seems that a lot of the diets are personal preference not one that people universally agree on. I have a 1 year old Male GSD who has been on Purina his whole life. He does seem to always be shedding, a little on the thin side, VERY anxious and stressed out especially if we leave him home.

I was thinking that maybe a RAW diet would help as maybe he is just not getting what he needs. WE used to feed our dogs leftovers and scraps but have not given him any as i have 2 young kiddos and just wanted to keep him away from desiring table food, but maybe need to switch to raw.

We have access to deer meat year round and also wild hog. Are these ok for him to eat, anything i should stay away from? Also, would plan to add chicken and beef to diet.

Anyways, main question is can you post some menu ideas? Hoping to get a 3-4 day rotational meal plan for him so i know what i need. I like to be organized. lol
Kalidinrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 11:43 AM   #17 (permalink)

oh yeah. i have read that elk antlers are good "chew toys" for them. Do whitetail and axis work too? probably a dumb question but thats what we have here, elk are harder to come by unless you buy at store and of course looking to cut cost if i can.
Kalidinrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.