No changes? Not eating? Help! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012, 10:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default No changes? Not eating? Help!

So I have had my dog on a raw diet since he was 4 months old, he is now a year and a month old. Recently, about 2 months ago, he sometimes won't eat his food... I think it's because he doesn't like it very much. I have tried giving him different varieties of meat, but that doesn't help much. He seems to like chicken more than the other types of meat. But too much chicken = tired of eating the same thing = not eating. He loves green tripe, so I mix a little bit of that in there, but then he'll sometimes just eat that.
I need help! What do you feed your dogs?
And since I started a raw diet, I haven't seen much change in the coat.
I give 50% raw meaty bones, 45% muscle meat, and 5% organ meat. I also supplement with salmon oil and an egg every 10 days...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameisblc View Post
So I have had my dog on a raw diet since he was 4 months old, he is now a year and a month old. Recently, about 2 months ago, he sometimes won't eat his food... I think it's because he doesn't like it very much. I have tried giving him different varieties of meat, but that doesn't help much. He seems to like chicken more than the other types of meat. But too much chicken = tired of eating the same thing = not eating. He loves green tripe, so I mix a little bit of that in there, but then he'll sometimes just eat that.
I give 50% raw meaty bones, 45% muscle meat, and 5% organ meat. I also supplement with salmon oil and an egg every 10 days...
i have my 10 month old on Purina lamb and rice formula since 8 months, before i had the same but puppy formula, they both love it , i also work the dogs out ,i walk him at least a mile includes running, jogging, obedience,and socialization with people and other dogs if they are around i do this every other day sometimes everyday, i do bitework 3x a week for now, hes only 10 months and is around 100 pounds. he gets home hungry i feed him 4 cups and 1/2 and give him about 8 treats everyday. tire your dog out and watch him be hungry he,s own body will ask for food like if it was water. feed him at the same time everyday he will learn to split the meal in half on hes own.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Teddy 12-4-11

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chuly 9-17-12

Last edited by Lucky Paw; 10-01-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Lucky Paw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 11:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameisblc View Post
You give salmon oil daily? How much? Why 1 egg every 10 days?

Is he losing weight? How are his stools? Any vomiting? Has activity level changed that maybe he's not as hungry?

Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 11:10 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Paw View Post
i have my 10 month old on Purina lamb and rice formula since 8 months, before i had the same but puppy formula, they both love it , i also work the dogs out ,i walk him at least a mile includes running, jogging, obedience,and socialization with people and other dogs if they are around i do this every other day sometimes everyday, i do bitework 3x a week for now, hes only 10 months and is around 100 pounds. he gets home hungry i feed him 4 cups and 1/2 and give him about 8 treats everyday. tire your dog out and watch him be hungry he,s own body will ask for food like if it was water. feed him at the same time everyday he will learn to split the meal in half on hes own.
Recently I have been busy so I haven't had to chance to give him enough exercise. I may think that is the reason too. But also, back to the raw diet, Sometimes he won't eat beef heart, for example, but when I cut it up into little pieces, he'll eat it. But anyways, I'll take your advice on the exercise.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
You give salmon oil daily? How much? Why 1 egg every 10 days?

Is he losing weight? How are his stools? Any vomiting? Has activity level changed that maybe he's not as hungry?
Salmon Oil everyday, it says 6 pumps for my dogs weight but I give about 4 a day because I think 6 is too "oily". An egg for his coat. 3 times a month, not trying to overdue the eggs?
He is 70lbs. Stools are solid. He used to throw up bile because he was hungry in the mornings, since he wakes up earlier than me. But now I fixed that problem by giving him treats at night(midnight training ha ha). And his energy level is really active, seems really healthy.

Last edited by mynameisblc; 10-01-2012 at 11:18 AM.
mynameisblc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 11:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would contact Carmen it there is an issue with his coat. I saw the biggest difference in Jax's coat and skin when I added her Shemp Oil.

What about the other things I asked? Any other changes?

Old 10-01-2012, 11:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
I would contact Carmen it there is an issue with his coat. I saw the biggest difference in Jax's coat and skin when I added her Shemp Oil.

What about the other things I asked? Any other changes?
I edited my comment below
Old 10-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Maybe he's not eating as much because of hte midnight snacks? Personally, as long as he's healthy and not losing weight I would not get to concerned. Give him 15 minutes to eat. If he doesn't, pick it up.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:34 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Maybe he's not eating as much because of hte midnight snacks? Personally, as long as he's healthy and not losing weight I would not get to concerned. Give him 15 minutes to eat. If he doesn't, pick it up.
I don't overdue the snacks, because he hasn't been eating his "real food" lately. I give him about 2-3 little snacks. But I hate picking up his food and trying to give it to him later. If he doesn't eat THAT now. He won't eat THAT later...
Old 10-01-2012, 11:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

You could have a vet check done on him to make sure he is healthy. Something that can affect the coat is a low thyroid (you would need to run a complete panel and not the one most vets run). If he is OK then I would say he is not hungry enough. Cut back on the amount of food you are feeding. If you pick up his food, give it to him later and he still doesn't eat then he goes hungry. I would feed more eggs. My guys get a bit more than one a day (from free range hens). The salmon oil should be around 1000 mg per 30# of body weight.

Alexis will not eat liver unless it is cut into small pieces and mixed with eggs and yogurt. Some dogs are that way. I do accommodate her.

The treats also may be more appealing so he is waiting for those instead of eating his meals.

How much are you feeding your dog?

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.