No changes? Not eating? Help! - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 11:19 AM   #21 (permalink)
Elite Member

The two posts above me - LHCZTH and BILLSHARP have nailed it!

Some people might find me a bit strict, but here goes my philosophy when feeding your dog the raw diet, especially if you switched from kibble to raw.

If your dog ate kibble before, for months or for years, it literally ate the same thing every single day, twice a day. The dog ate, no one thought anything of it. Switch to raw and the dog's in heaven b/c it's getting REAL food and suddenly realizes there are OPTIONS!!!

I have found that most dogs do this after a while. They'll hold out every now and then because they want something "different" or "better" than what's in their bowl. Especially, if they can see / smell the other options in the fridge!

Kyleigh did it a couple of days ago (and she's never had kibble). While I'm mixing her food up, I'll toss her a chicken leg, drumstick or whatever, and then when she's done that I'll put her food down. She looked at it, looked at me and walked away. Fine, you want to subsist on a chicken leg for the next 24 hours, feel free. I left it for 10 minutes, no takers, took her food off the floor and put it in the fridge.

The next night, NO CHICKEN, and I put her food down, guess what ... she ate it.

IF and a big IF, your dog is healthy, your dog won't starve itself. It will eat. Remember when it ate the same boring old kibble every single day, twice a day, with no complaints?????

There are days when Kyleigh eats her whole bowl of food, other days only half. I don't make a big fuss about it. She's simply not hungry. Most healthy dogs will eat what they need and leave the rest.
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 11:36 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameisblc View Post
So, I'm back... he sometimes will deny the food.
How often does he skip meals? Does he not eat ANYTHING or just eat some and then walk away? What's the longest period of time he's gone without food?

And the $24 thousand dollar question - how is his WEIGHT? Not how much does he weigh - how does 70 lbs LOOK on him?

Can you run your hand LIGHTLY over his side and feel his ribs? If yes, then he does need more food and I would take him to the vet for a check-up.

If no, then he's either at a good weight or possibly over weight. I would cut back more food and see how he does.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) – Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 12:14 PM   #23 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameisblc View Post
So, I'm back...
He won't eat or eat much... I've added more walks and more mental excersice to the equation but he sometimes will deny the food. He will eat it more often when I hand feed it to him. But it kind of feels like I'm forcing him to eat. I also give him 2 chances to eat, morning and night.

- 70 lbs
- 1 year and 2 months old
- 1.5-1.75 lbs of meat per day
- This week I've bought veal, ground beef, lamb, tripe, whole chicken, rabbit, and turkey.
- Salmon oil supplement
- Goes outside 3 times a day, 2nd time we do some training, 30 mins - 1 hr each time we go out
- Treats only given when training(not much)

Help and suggestions are greatly appreciated at this time...
Maybe I should go to kibble and see how that works?
According to your first post his appetite has wained for about 3 months, but poops fine and no symtoms that seem indicative of any gastro issues that may relate to why he won't eat....correct?

By asking or looking at the obvious, there seems to be nothing relative and you question if he doesn't like his food, or maybe not hungry enough.

Think back to when you first noticed a change in behaviour, was there a Vet visit that corrolates to this time? Was he vaccinated for something 3 or so months ago and/or flea/heartworm meds added or changed?
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 03:02 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri & The Gang View Post
How often does he skip meals? Does he not eat ANYTHING or just eat some and then walk away? What's the longest period of time he's gone without food?

And the $24 thousand dollar question - how is his WEIGHT? Not how much does he weigh - how does 70 lbs LOOK on him?

Can you run your hand LIGHTLY over his side and feel his ribs? If yes, then he does need more food and I would take him to the vet for a check-up.

If no, then he's either at a good weight or possibly over weight. I would cut back more food and see how he does.
He skips meals a lot... He will eat tripe and ground meat ALMOST every time though. I think he may have a problem picking up the RMB with his mouth? Because if I hand feed the RMB he will bite on it and when it crunches, that engages him and he will eat it. The longest he's gone without food is a day.
His weight is fine, not fat and not too skinny.
Let me upload a video of me giving him his food... Give me like 20 mins lol.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:39 PM   #25 (permalink)

So here are pics. He's really not that skinny in real life lol.
Attached Thumbnails
No changes? Not eating? Help!-20121113_152041.jpg   No changes? Not eating? Help!-20121113_152047.jpg  
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.