Worn down teeth?? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2011, 03:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Worn down teeth??

As I was checking my dogs' teeth, I noticed one of them, my 7 year old GSD mix, has his front teeth totally worn down. He had them already a bit worn, but it scared me and until I got him checked fearing he had broken them, and yeah, I was told they were just worn down.

Only his front teeth, top and bottom, and the upper canine are more worn than the bottom ones.

Is this normal?? Is it because of his age or his mystery breed? Or is it because of his raw food?

I don't give them recreational bones (beef or pork or whatever), their RMBs are solely chicken bones. Thighs, legs, breasts.

He does play with his Kongs a lot, and I actually thought he might have broken his teeth with them as he tends to jump and catch them in the air with his mouth. I even changed his toys to puppy ones for this very reason, but he used to have a black and a red one.

Should I give him smaller pieces or what? As in the legs and thighs separately instead of the whole chicken quarter?
Dejavu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2011, 04:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Dogs usually don't chew with their front teeth, they may use them to tear, but that won't wear down teeth. Toys on the other hand do....jollyballs have worn down Karlo's canines flat.
I wouldn't blame it on the raw diet, but just as we may have genetically bad teeth, dogs may do too?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2011, 05:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Jane, thanks so much for replying!

I think that might be it. His father was a mix with GSD colors (nobody knows what he really is) and his mom was a long coat GSD, but Gawd only knows what breeds he has in his genes and well, that could be it.

I guess I'll find softer toys, probably the senior Kongs.

I'll also make sure he does chew with his other teeth cause, what if this silly one is indeed chewing with just the front teeth?? X_x
Old 03-27-2011, 05:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
vat
Knighted Member

My past female wore hers down from tennis balls. Now I know better!

Shewana's Maximum Velocity (aka Max)
Shewana's Hot-Spice (aka Callan)

Kaycee 11/97-5/10

Rio 10/08-2/10

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.
vat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2011, 09:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Ouch, tennis balls too.

Well, now I know not to leave them with their toys unattended and only take them out when I play with them.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Boxers have itty bitty front teeth…. Harley is 6 and his front teeth are worn down to nothing…. I really don't know why. He doesn't chew tennis balls. He gets bones, but doesn't chew with his front teeth. We just started on raw, so I know it's not that…. So I dont really know any answers, but I am wondering the same as you….. I think it is genetic, like Jane said.
Chopper the Drama Queen CGC, Boxer NUT, ScH prospect
"My furs are not in storage, nor lying on the bed,
they're dancing 'round my feet, waiting to be fed."
lanaw13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2011, 09:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

I have only had Sasha since she was 10 months old, but her teeth are worn down really bad and she isn't even 3 yrs old yet!
I have caught her grinding on rocks and even her identity tag on her collar. I think she also must be gnawing on the crate to have worn them down. None of my other dogs have teeth like that. I started giving her kong toys more often since I don't use rawhides or anything.
Kitty, Siamese, B.10/11
MoJo, Aussie, B.2/12

Max, Great Dane, B. 12/01 RIP

krystyne73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2011, 10:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

No, not the raw food. Could be from snatching the toys off the ground or carrying around and crushing toys. The jute sleeves and bite suits used in the different protection sports can also wear down the teeth especially if they get dirty. Some dogs have more issues than others.

Tennis balls attract and catch dirt which turns their surface into something like sandpaper.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2011, 10:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My lab is 8 and his are worn down as well just in front- vet says he must play a lot,lol
Zoeys mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2011, 10:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Thank you all for your replies! At least I feel relieved knowing that I'm not alone with this, and what might be the real cause of it!

Yeah, I just watched him like a hawk while he was eating and he definitely doesn't use the front teeth (or what it used to be his front teeth... ) to eat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.