What are the signs of allergies to chicken? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2010, 05:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default What are the signs of allergies to chicken?

Ava's been raw for a few weeks now. I usually give her some sort of RMB chicken and then MM of ground beef or turkey. I've been out of ground beef and turkey so I have been giving her MM of boneless chicken breasts for the past 2 days. Well this morning she seems really really itchy all over. I've also noticed that the past few days her eyes just don;t seem as bright and they are a little teary. Are these signs of an allergy to chicken? She did fine with I was giving her half chicken half beef/turkey. I would think if it was a chicken allergy, she would have syptoms with even a little bit of chicken.
www.southeastgsdrescue.org

Ava LaRue GSD 3/2/10
Chewy Shih Tzu 1/9/04
Toby Shih Tzu 12/26/07
Abby 18 yr old Lab R.I.P.
AvaLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2010, 06:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

She would have symptoms regardless, but they may not be as noticeable if you're not feeding her mostly chicken. My guy is allergic to chicken and he gets SUPER dandruffy, iches 24/7, and his coat goes to crap within a few hours of him eating it.
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2010, 10:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

I thought the point of RAW was to give the bones with the meat?
Raw Feeding FAQ
Quote:
Start with the basics - a range of different raw meaty bones, or preferably whole items, such as chicken, quail, fish, eggs. For the majority of raw feeders - chicken is the base of the majority of their dogs meals. However, if chicken is not available readily, use what is available locally - raw meaty - lamb, beef, venison, duck, rabbit, kangaroo, pig, raw whole fish. You get the picture.

Quote:
But aren't chicken bones dangerous?!!!

This is one of the biggest myths of all time! Raw chicken bones are fantastic for your dog. They are soft enough so that they bend easily, and break well for the dog to digest.
On the other hand, cooked chicken bones can be a problem, and I recommend that you DON'T feed COOKED chicken bones. Some people are worried about their dog choking on bones. While such incidents are very rare (far more incidents occur with dogs choking on kibble), I encourage the feeding of bigger portions of meaty bones, or if available, whole carcasses, such as whole chickens or rabbits. So could a raw chicken bone kill a dog? Well I guess that anything is possible. Certainly scientifically you can't prove a negative argument. However what we do know is that dogs have died from inhaling kibble the wrong way and choking and suffocating to death.
Quote:
Should I grind the bones?

In a small number of cases, invariably where the dog/cat has a rare medical condition, ground bones are necessary.
However, in over 99% of cases, dogs and cats should be fed whole meaty bones/carcasses. Ground bones are a poor substitute to whole bones. In addition, consuming such does not give the dogs the important muscle work out they need. There has also been a very small number of cases caused by impaction of ground bones. Frankly, feeding ground bones tends to help nervous owners get over the whole "can't possibly feed my dogs whole bones" mentality, but is not the best thing for your dog. If you insist on feeding ground bones, please understand the negatives of such.

Quote:
What do you feed your dogs?

Great question! These are the things my dogs eat:
  • raw meaty bones and/or whole carcasses - chicken, lamb, pork, whole raw fish (at least once a week), beef, rabbit
  • whole raw eggs in their shells (I let the dogs crack the shells)
  • organ meat
What protecol are you using for your pups diet? I know one of the problems is getting a BALANCED diet using RAW. It's not just about feeding meat.
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 05-18-2010 at 10:41 AM.
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2010, 11:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

55% RMB / 45% MM No OM at this time.

RMB is Chicken wings. Not the little wingettes...but the Whole size wings.
MM is either ground beef, ground turkey, or hearts & gizzards.

She was doing fine with the above. However, I have not had and of my usual MM for the past 2 days so I have been using boneless chicken breasts as the MM. Now I am noticing her itching and eyes seem watery and not as "bright".

She is getting Salmon Oil and Vit. E as well as a Glucosimine tablet and Bug-Off Garlic.

She has been fine until I added the boneless chicken breast as this put her at 100% chicken. (RMB & MM).

I have learned that her stools will be inconsistent on raw. Sometimes they are fine sometimes they are half fine/half pudding. From everything I've read, that is the norm.

My question here is...is she having a chicken allergy. Is giving her 100% chicken just too much chicken and causing problems? I don't plan on always doing chicken RMB and chicken MM at the same time. Just the way it has worked out these past couple of days until I can get back to the store to stock up again.

Ava LaRue GSD 3/2/10
Chewy Shih Tzu 1/9/04
Toby Shih Tzu 12/26/07
Old 05-18-2010, 11:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvaLaRue View Post
55% RMB / 45% MM No OM at this time.

RMB is Chicken wings. Not the little wingettes...but the Whole size wings.
MM is either ground beef, ground turkey, or hearts & gizzards.

She was doing fine with the above. However, I have not had and of my usual MM for the past 2 days so I have been using boneless chicken breasts as the MM. Now I am noticing her itching and eyes seem watery and not as "bright".

She is getting Salmon Oil and Vit. E as well as a Glucosimine tablet and Bug-Off Garlic.

She has been fine until I added the boneless chicken breast as this put her at 100% chicken. (RMB & MM).

I have learned that her stools will be inconsistent on raw. Sometimes they are fine sometimes they are half fine/half pudding. From everything I've read, that is the norm.

My question here is...is she having a chicken allergy. Is giving her 100% chicken just too much chicken and causing problems? I don't plan on always doing chicken RMB and chicken MM at the same time. Just the way it has worked out these past couple of days until I can get back to the store to stock up again.
This is not a proper balanced raw diet. A proper raw diet should consist of 80% MM, 10% RMB, and 10% OM. When you're transitioning over it's not a big deal to go without OM for a week or two, but you should keep the other two proportioned properly.

It sounds like she could be allergic to chicken. Why don't you put her on straight chicken for a week and see if she is consistently itchy, uncomfortable, etc. That'd be your biggest sign.
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2010, 12:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
This is not a proper balanced raw diet. A proper raw diet should consist of 80% MM, 10% RMB, and 10% OM. When you're transitioning over it's not a big deal to go without OM for a week or two, but you should keep the other two proportioned properly.

It sounds like she could be allergic to chicken. Why don't you put her on straight chicken for a week and see if she is consistently itchy, uncomfortable, etc. That'd be your biggest sign.
I have to respectfully disagree with you on those percentages. Please check out this link. Raw Dog Ranch - How Much To Feed I believe my percentages are fine. 10% RMB is no where near enough bone.

Ava LaRue GSD 3/2/10
Chewy Shih Tzu 1/9/04
Toby Shih Tzu 12/26/07
Old 05-18-2010, 12:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Doerak was allergic to chicken. I found out when I started feeding raw.

This is how it went down. I started feeding him only chicken, then I started adding some other foods. For a few weeks he wasn't eating any chicken. Then I started feeding a lot of chicken again and right away he started scratching and had an odd odor eminating from him. I think it was an acidic smell. Took away the chicken and it took a week or two for him to get back to normal.

He was fine with turkey, however.
BlackPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2010, 12:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

um..... Actually... DJEtzel, you are wrong and right at the same time. Dogs need 10% bone.... not 10% RMB....RMB meat Raw Meaty Bones. They include fat, meat and bone. If you fed only 10 percent of that, you would only end up with about 3-5% bone (depending on your source). Which is way low. 10-15% is about right. And I don't feed that much OM, witch is alot BTW, but I do know that some people feed that and respect their decision.

Unless you want to argue with Lauri (rawdogranch.com) who says on her website that a ratio of 45-50 RMB, 45 MM, 5% OM, and 0-5% other.

Just because Avalarue is feeding raw in a different manner, doesn't mean that it is wrong.

Fur Family:
Dakota "Koda" GSD 02/20/2008
Chloe Calico 9/21/2007

"The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too"
GSDSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2010, 08:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvaLaRue View Post
I have to respectfully disagree with you on those percentages. Please check out this link. Raw Dog Ranch - How Much To Feed I believe my percentages are fine. 10% RMB is no where near enough bone.
Ava,

This is the same exact place I went when I switched over to raw!!

If you contact Lauri @ Raw Dog, she might be able to give you some tips about the possible chicken allergy. She has always been very helpful to me with any questions I have had.
kaiapup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2010, 08:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lin
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin

I agree that 10% rmb would be not enough.

One of the biggest problems with the ratios of bone to muscle meat is balancing the calcium to phosphorus ratio. Remember that bone has BOTH calcium and phosphorus, but not as much phosphorus as muscle meat. In my opinion its always better to err on the side of too much bone as it is more balanced than not enough.
Lin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.