Bones and raw feeding - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2010, 02:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to Miikkas mom
Default Bones and raw feeding

Iíve always sort of thought that the premise of dogs burying their bones was a bit overstated. Our dogs have always chewed their bones. We have NEVER owned a dog that actually buried a boneÖever! Until Miikka.

Iíll never forget the first time I gave Miikka a bone. She was about 14 weeks old. The bone was a small round marrow bone with almost no meat on it. I gave it to her in the laundry room hoping she would keep it on the tile floor. She immediately wanted to go outside, with bone in mouth. Fine. I let her out the back door and stood on the stoop and watched her. She went to an area of the yard that is mostly dirt. She proceeds to dig a hole. The bone is still in her mouth. Once she has her hole dug, she drops the bone into the hole and using her nose, begins to cover up the bone with the loose dirt. Then she takes her front paws and pats at the dirt. I know itís just a little thing but I darn near fell over. Iím several decades old and believe it or not, Iíve never seen a dog bury a bone! Particularly such a little, or young, dog. A few hours later, she wants to go outside. I let her out thinking she has to go potty or something. She heads to the area where she hid the bone and begins to dig. Sure enough, she finds the buried bone. So now she has the dirt-covered bone in her mouth. What does she want to do will this dirty bone? Yep, chew on it. (Yes, I rinsed it off and gave it back to her)

Why am I telling you this? Well, because I am feeding Miikka a raw diet. As you know, part of that diet includes RMB. I would say at least 50% of the time she will hide the RBM instead of chewing/eating them. Then, later in the day, sheíll go find it and chew on it. Also, I do not feed her outside. I usually feed her in the sunroom since it has a concrete floor (its more of a 3-season porch) I dont care if she makes a mess out there. But instead of burying RMB in the dirt she will hide them around the room, behind boxes or in the cushions of the patio funiture. Everyday, I have to scan the sunroom for "leftovers".

Anyway, is it OK for her to be hiding the bones and then chewing on them later in the day?

Waiting at the Rainbow Bridge:
Bella, 15 yr old GSD/Chow chow mix
Annie, 16 yr old Black Cocker Spaniel
Socks, 15 yr old Tuxedo cat
Miikkas mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2010, 03:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

I honestly think dogs' stomachs have the acids that we don't, so they can handle bacteria that we would otherwise get sick from. As a puppy, I'm sure the immune system is weaker, but I still don't think its something to worry about.

Damian doesn't have that problem though, I give him a bone in the kitchen and he chews on it either until he is finished with it all, or if we are heading to bed. I then just toss it out.
ch3ckpo1nt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2010, 06:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Personally, I would teach her to eat AT her bowl and not carry things around all over the place.

What type of RMBs is she getting that she tries to 'bury'?
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Ė Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2010, 07:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri & The Gang View Post
Personally, I would teach her to eat AT her bowl and not carry things around all over the place.

What type of RMBs is she getting that she tries to 'bury'?
She usually does eat at her bowl. The only time she leaves the bowl is if she has a bone in her mouth. But she'll always finish what's in the bowl first.

Other than the basic recreational type bone, she ONLY hides ONE type of bone - a beef rib bone. Most of her meat is ground up. I mix the meat, veggie glob, a little dairy product, and her supplements/vitamins all up together. I set the beef rib (just 1 & she does not get 1 every day, maybe a couple of times a week) on top. Sheíll take the rib and set in along side the bowl. Eat whatís in the bowl and then hide the rib. She does the exact same thing every single time.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Other than the basic recreational type bone, she ONLY hides ONE type of bone - a beef rib bone. [/quote]

Is the beef bone a new thing for her???? Asking because I'm lucky not to deal with this, but my mom's girl is new into raw beef bones....her other food is cooked, this is a special treat she gets.....she did the same as yours...my thought process was it was a very high value food item to her and she wanted to hide it from her pack and mange away on it when no one was looking.....I advised my mom to stay with her on the blanket while she ate and if she left return her....she had to do this several times, but soon she learned it was a normal thing and she was expected to eat it then and there....just a thought......the issue is not really about how ripe the meat is, some like it pretty ripe, but when hiding it in the home/sun room...not cool!!!!!

"My impetus is an unfulfillable debt to animals
entrusted to my care before I recognized the extent of our advanced industrial and societal hypocrisy (i.e. the extent of my own ignorance and participation)."

-Euan Fingal

RIP

Kato- 12 yrs, GSD, forever my friend
Kelsey- 15 yrs, GSD, an inspiration
Gib Laut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2010, 08:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gib Laut View Post
Other than the basic recreational type bone, she ONLY hides ONE type of bone - a beef rib bone.
Is the beef bone a new thing for her????..........the issue is not really about how ripe the meat is, some like it pretty ripe, but when hiding it in the home/sun room...not cool!!!!![/quote]

She's been hiding bones since she was a very young pup. She's been eating beef for the last few months. However, beef rib bones are somewhat new to her.

I agree with you regarding hiding bones in the house. That's why I scan the sunroom every day for bones....it's getting to be a pain in the you-know-what.

Now, tonight I did something totally different. I fed her the ground-up mix and when she was done with that I gave her a beef rib. She started chewing on it immediately...didnt even try to hide it In fact, she's still gnawing away on it! Go figure.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Beef ribs are pretty dense, so Mikka can't chew them up as fast as chicken or neck bones, probably why she hides them.
I don't give a rib bone for recreation, I'd rather give a knucklebone.
Clover always use to bury bones, and Onyx would find them much later. Clover wasn't rawfed til she was 12, and all thru her life she would bury even a rawhide chew. She was a golden/borderx not GSD.
Kacie will also bury the denser bones, or recreational bones. The other day I fed pork neck bones and she buried it(I feed her outside) Karlo found it an hour later, and ate it.
Kacie won't do this with chicken 1/4's or turkey necks, just the harder bones.

Last edited by onyx'girl; 03-17-2010 at 09:20 PM.
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2010, 10:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Beef ribs are pretty dense, so Mikka can't chew them up as fast as chicken or neck bones, probably why she hides them.
Bingo!

You are better off giving her some chicken RMBs to start with. Those will get her used to chewing/eating instead of burying.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Ė Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2010, 12:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri & The Gang View Post
Bingo!

You are better off giving her some chicken RMBs to start with. Those will get her used to chewing/eating instead of burying.
We grind all of the chicken bones (DH had issues with feeding her whole bones). I do not let her eat the rib bone. She just pulls and/or chews off the meat. Then I toss the striped bone in the garbage.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:28 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miikkas mom View Post
We grind all of the chicken bones (DH had issues with feeding her whole bones). I do not let her eat the rib bone. She just pulls and/or chews off the meat. Then I toss the striped bone in the garbage.

My dog Topanga burys them all the time in our yard. I brought home some deer and elk ribs from my parents house and gave her a couple of each and she buried them all. Why dont you let mikka eat the rib bone?
ShepherdHeaven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.