Knuckle bone question. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2010, 08:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Knuckle bone question.

I gave Stark a knuckle bone the other day and he ate pretty much the whole thing.

Yesterday, he didn't eat (not a big surprise though, he has been going through this 'don't eat for a day or meal' phase - nothing wrong physcially as he has been checked out) but did poop a few times.

This morning I woke up to him whinning to go out earlier than normal and he pooped almost immediately.

All poops are soild but a bit lighter than usual (probably from all that bone).

When I came in I noticed his bed had some bone pieces on it and there was a wet spot, so he obviously threw up in the middle of the night without waking me.

Are knuckle bones softer than marrow bones? He has never done this with a rec. bone before. Usually the marrow bones have a few dents or scratches but that's it, he's never ate pretty much the whole thing. This is his first knuckle bone (whole) and I don't want to feed the other I have in the freezer incase this happens again.

His activity level is normal, his belly feels fine, he is eating treats and begging for my food so I know his appeitite is normal.
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2010, 09:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Knuckle bones are much softer than marrow bones. The inside of them is a very spongey texture. So yes, adult dogs can consume the whole knuckle bone in pretty short time, unlike a marrow bone. We try not to let them have the knuckle bones long enough that they can eat one in a single sitting. We usually pick them up after a half hour or so, that way a knuckle will last longer and they aren't eating all that bone at once. But we have had a couple dogs eat the whole thing at one time on occasion when we weren't paying enough attention.

The after effects Stark is having with a bit of vomiting and some really hard, light colored poops are pretty normal for pigging out on a knuckle bone.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Thanks Chris!

He only had the bone for about 30 minutes which is why I didn't think twice, I thought they would be harder than what they ended up being.

I don't think he will be getting them anymore, he eats them too quickly. I'll stick to our good old marrow bones.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

I gave Sydney and Shane Lamb knuckle bones the other day and they devoured them pretty quickly, and they had very light colored poops but where otherwise perfectly fine. I didnt think they could eat them that fast, either!!
Sydney
CH Erin N Shamrock's S Hemisphere CD RN CGC
8/14/98-1/12/13

(1/3 UWP) U-CH Shamrock's Shippin Up To Boston RN CA NJ-N TT CGC "Shane" (4yrs)

"Ocean" Alabama craigslist dump (2yrs)
ShatteringGlass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 07:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Joey got a knuckle bone as a Christmas gift from a good friend of mine, who owns 2 dogs. We were debating back and forth as to whether to give it to him.

Well, we gave it to him yesterday; took about an hour to devour it. No ill effects during the day.

During the night he got up 3 times to pee and poop. Around 4AM we heard a funny noise; he threw up. It was a big lump of stuff, and very dry (was easy to pick up and clean).

We felt horrible about it, but thank God he's ok.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Ok this may be a dumb question but isn't a knuckle bone just the ends cut off a big marrow bone??

I get mine big marrow bones quite frequently and they chew the 2 big nobbely bits of the end and lick out the marrow (sometimes I get them split up the middle) but I'm always left with about 5 or 6" of solid bone that they can't eat. (and it sucks when you find one of those with the lawn mower )
I have noticed slightly sloppier poops if they ate too much marrow and it's always a very light colour. I have never noticed them throwing up from a big bone tho.
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 10:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

It was from a company called Jones Natural Chews Co; it's called a saddle knuckle (from the beef femur bone in the hind leg).
Old 01-02-2013, 10:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Can someone please clarify, yes, exactly what is considered a "knuckle" bone?

We used to get these great beef soup bones at our local grocery, until they decided to start cutting their own. So basically, now they cut them for me. I think they're just beef leg bones they're cutting up, and I can have them cut them in any size I want.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but are these safe for his teeth? He can eat these bones in about 45 minutes. I have been playing with sizes. They don't bother him at all, but I don't want him to wear his teeth out, and wasn't sure how "hard" they are.

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/

Last edited by RocketDog; 01-02-2013 at 11:01 AM.
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 10:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I give WD a beef knuckle bone (large knee joint) once in a while but remove it once he has eaten all the soft tissue to spare his teeth. I give in the early AM so it is out of his system late night in case he gets the runs from the marrow.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 02:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

After some google image searching, it does look like a knuckle bone is the top and bottom cut off a marrow bone

The smoked/dried knuckles look a bit scarey
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.