Changes after being switched to raw - Page 10 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2012, 04:06 PM   #91 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I ventured into raw about a month ago. I went with premade, so I don't screw anything up. I also was only doing it once a week. Starting this week I will be doing raw 3-4 times a week. They better like it, I just spent a little over $200.00 today The first time I fed it to them I freaked when I saw their poop, I thought something was wrong, but I've decided I can deal with disappearing poop. Today they had duck necks, well 2 of them did, the golden will not eat any of the meaty bones
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2012, 04:20 PM   #92 (permalink)

Were you able to buy bulk? Where'd you get it llombardo?
Old 07-15-2012, 04:57 PM   #93 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjukes View Post
I just stayed with the premade for now. I got the rolls I can cut up and nuggets. The place I went to is probably more expensive then some, but they had a sale and I was able to get two pound rolls for $6.50 each. I also got canned tripe. I'm not sure if this is as good as fresh, but the ingredients are tripe, garlic, and water.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2012, 11:03 AM   #94 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjukes View Post
I know this is an old thread, but there should be a bulk co-op in your area? I found mine on facebook. Harley has been on raw for a few weeks now. He has horrible allergies and is so thin you can see each one of his bones. Most notable thing was his poop. He went from cannon butt to little tiny poops. His scratching is much less too. Hopefully his coat will change for the better, but all this takes time. I pay less than $1. a pound with our co-op. Madjukes, I will find the link to the co-ops.
Here is the links to the Co-Ops on your area. Take advantage of them, they off quality raw at very low prices.
http://preymodelraw.com/raw-coops/
Ophelia vom haus Huro (Ziva) GSD 9/2/12

Last edited by HeyJude; 09-20-2012 at 11:11 AM.
HeyJude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #95 (permalink)
Master Member

We are making the switch to raw next week. We have a consultation booked with a canine nutritionist next week and Im going to make the jump to raw. Jake had chronic digestive issues for the first 8 months of his life and I think has suffered from a developmental perspective. Jake is 67 pounds at 10 months. We are working with a trainer who is highly recommending we get Jake off commercial kibble (hes also suffering from an unknown allergy) and consider a homemade diet. She has recommended raw, but has said a cooked homemade diet if done right is far better than commercial kibble.

After re-reading this thread and seeing some of the differences, Im sold. Since well be getting help formulating a balanced raw diet, it takes that fear of not doing it right away.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:09 PM   #96 (permalink)
jae
Master Member

How's this for a change: when I notice exceedingly large turds that people fail to pick up, I can totally tell that the dog is not raw fed.
jae is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 04:11 PM   #97 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jae View Post
How's this for a change: when I notice exceedingly large turds that people fail to pick up, I can totally tell that the dog is not raw fed.
This is how I know when someone else's dog has been on my property!

Kya - GSD 7/15/00
Phinneas - Min Pin 2/4/08
Milla - Orithia Z Diehlomov 2/10/12
TJ - GSD 2/27/99-8/7/11
TimberGSD2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2013, 08:29 AM   #98 (permalink)
Mog

I'm already set on feeding our new pup raw. I have 400lbs of meat waiting for him in a freezer I bought just for his food. I've been doing a lot of research and raw and it's the only way I would feed a dog.

This thread was linked in another I'm reading and thought it was a great testimonial as to the benefits of reading raw and wanted to bump it. Would make a great sticky!!!

Maximus - Male Sable - Born 1/30/2013
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2013, 02:27 AM   #99 (permalink)

It's been about a year now since I switched my boy to raw, and the improvement has been phenomenal!

He was originally fed TOTW supplemented with fish oil, he still had dandruff and chronic skin irritations on this. He had a harder time maintaining muscle mass as well and gastrointestinal issues were common.

On raw: Dandruff has totally cleared up, he has the softest coat, everyone asks if he was just bathed. It's a shame he's not big on cuddling!

He maintains muscle mass better and the muscle in general appears more wholesome.

His teeth look great too

I switched my grandmother's Dachshund and Toy Poodle as well. They were both 7 at the time and had never had any dental care so their teeth were horrid. I should get pictures sometime, but now their teeth look infinitely better. Not as good as Dakota's but the gum is healthy and tartar is minimal.

They both have a lot more pep as well! Tazzy (Toy Poodle)will be 9 this year and he accompanies Dakota and I on several mile-long bikerides and is always rearing to go.
Cschmidt88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2013, 07:12 AM   #100 (permalink)

Default Everything changed!

My old buddy Jack, who is almost 15 has cataracts, but his entire eye had been cloudy for more than a year before switching from kibble. His coat was dry, and thinning. His teeth were a horrible brown color, that on the vet's chart of teeth condition, was second to last. After only 2 weeks, his cataracts were still there, but the rest of his eye was sparkly clear. His energy jumped way up, and his coat became smoother, less dry. Now, after 3 months, his coat has filled in, and his teeth went from second to worst on the vet's chart of about 8 shades, to about 3rd from BEST, and his gums look great. He is a happy guy! My baby Sophie is about 8 months old, and started 3 months ago. She has added massive amounts of muscle, her eyes, are crystal clear, her coat is amazing.....people ask what she's eating, and her growth rate has spiked. She is very athletic, and has the whitest white teeth I have ever seen in a dog, puppy or otherwise!
They have raw eggs with half a slice of bread (NO BROMATES) and 3 raw eggs for breakfast around 6 or 7 am, midday they have a raw chicken leg, then a raw chicken back and thigh around dinner time. About twice a week , I give them chicken gizzards and hearts midday, and once a week or so chicken liver at midday. Less often, they have beef.
Any suggestions, or changes on this regimen??
MsBev is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.