Meat left out on the counter a little too long - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2009, 09:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Meat left out on the counter a little too long

So yesterday my boyfriends roommate left a steak on the counter to thaw. Usually when I see this I put them into the fridge because, well, thawing on the counter just isn't a good idea. Yesterday, however, I didn't. Then, later that night, I saw the steak (still in wrapper) in the trash! I was wondering if the steak that might just be a little TOO thawed out for a human to eat still be good for the dog? Would I have been able to just throw half of it down for her MM and save the other half for the next nights meal and have it all be okay? Or should I just let the steak go in the trash?

If I remember correctly I saw it out on the counter that morning then, later than same night, in the trash. Is a day's worth of thawing just too much no matter what? If not, how can I tell when it's been sitting out just a little too long, even for Jerzey?
Koji, spotted shelter kitty.
JerzeyGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2009, 09:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Re: Meat left out on the counter a little too long

I don't think I would feed it raw because of bacteria, but cooking should be fine. It would have sat for hours before it thawed enough to begin to breed bacs, it probably would have been fine for human consumption as well. Feel the surface of the meat. If it feel sticky or slimy, then it probably is too far gone, if not, cook it. And wash your hands well afterward.
flyinghayden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2009, 10:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Feed it! Holy cow, I've fed some meat to the dogs that smelled bad enough to make me pick it up with tongs. They like it that way!

I also regularly leave bags of frozen "dog food" on the counter to thaw all day while I'm at work (11 hours). It's not even slightly cold anymore by the time I get home.

I have yet to see meat that is too bad to feed to the dogs. Maybe if it was left on the counter for like a week I would think twice.

Amara CGC
Dutch CGC
ahlamarana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2009, 10:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: ahlamaranaFeed it! Holy cow, I've fed some meat to the dogs that smelled bad enough to make me pick it up with tongs. They like it that way!

I also regularly leave bags of frozen "dog food" on the counter to thaw all day while I'm at work (11 hours). It's not even slightly cold anymore by the time I get home.

I have yet to see meat that is too bad to feed to the dogs. Maybe if it was left on the counter for like a week I would think twice.

SSSHHHHH! Truthfully back in the day, I have myself eaten meat that smelled bad enough you had to wear a mask to handle it!!! Probably why my brain is all goofed up.
flyinghayden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2009, 10:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:=flyinghayden
SSSHHHHH! Truthfully back in the day, I have myself eaten meat that smelled bad enough you had to wear a mask to handle it!!! Probably why my brain is all goofed up.

Amara CGC
Dutch CGC
ahlamarana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2009, 10:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ChancetheGSD Send a message via Yahoo to ChancetheGSD

I say feed it! If it's only been a day I don't see any problem with it. It's how I get a lot of free meat for Chance. Mom often forgets something she's thawing and leaves it out all night. Not good for people but Chance sure does enjoy it! If it's something big (like the 16 pieces of chicken she once laid out and forgot :whistles I even bag and refreeze it. So far I haven't had ANY problems with Chance getting sick off doing so.

Like Sarah said, if it was left out for a week I'd think twice about feeding it but tossing it out because it's only been a day is wasteful. :P
ChancetheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2009, 10:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would not feed my dog any meat I wouldn't eat. That includes stuff left on the counter too long to thaw. Ecolli is a nasty business - so is samonella & a host of other bacterial infections. The cost of a vet bill for a serious infection will dwarf the cost of the steak! NOT WORTH IT!
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2009, 10:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: ahlamaranaFeed it! Holy cow, I've fed some meat to the dogs that smelled bad enough to make me pick it up with tongs. They like it that way!
Mine get all mad at me when I throw out hamburger that slightly brown. Sometimes I wonder why I change the water dish when there's mud on the bottom - the dogs are always pleased to be drinking out of that dirty puddle on the driveway.

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
SunCzarina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2009, 10:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: middleofnowhereI would not feed my dog any meat I wouldn't eat. That includes stuff left on the counter too long to thaw. Ecolli is a nasty business - so is samonella & a host of other bacterial infections. The cost of a vet bill for a serious infection will dwarf the cost of the steak! NOT WORTH IT!
That's my feeling. Yesterday, I tossed a half of turkey breast that I forgot on the counter when we went to the dog park . I came home and it was that weird not quite hot/not quite cool room temperature.

We were bummed. I hate wasting food -- not to mention the cost. (I planned to make him dinner out of that too). But even if your dog doesn't get sick enough to go to the vet, a few days of liquid poop isn't worth it.
3K9Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2009, 09:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
Qyn
Knighted Member

Dogs will bury meaty bones and dig them up days (weeks) later and have no negative effect. As long as it was for human consumption in the first place and as long as I don't find it at all repugnant I will feed it to the dogs. In fact, if it is too fresh they look at me as if to say "no smell .... are you feeding me plastic!!"

GSD - Quynne, born 29 sept 2004
MalteseXPoodle - Buddy, adopted Jan 2004 - RIP 14 May, 2009 9-11yo
Galah - Birdie-girl - adopted in 1999 when she was approx 12yo
Qyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.