Suggestions for kennel flooring - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2008, 08:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Suggestions for kennel flooring

What is the best material to sue for kennel flooring on which to keep puppies once they are weaned.I have cement floor and wood on top.I find layering newspaper down after I disinfect their area 2-3 times /day just is not working the best.Any suggestions for other materials or how to keep the puppies cleaner and fresher smelling?We have generally 2 litters per year and the winter litters are the ones that I find harder due to this problem.Outside in the grass is not a problem.
questbest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2008, 05:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Default Re: Suggestions for kennel flooring

I have 3 whelping rooms in our basement that have vinyl over the cement so it is a bit warmer and easier to clean. Yes we have the same problem with winter litters too. But after 7 weeks old we start to crate train these guy's so that after they leave our place the new owner if chooses to crate their pup doesn't have to much troble doing so. I'm sure that there are other members here that have better ideas than myself.
shepherdbydesign is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2008, 06:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

we have ceramic tile inside and patio slabs in the runs.
Romance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2008, 08:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I use vinyl flooring over cement. And they start taking themselves outside at which time, I seriously limit the indoor area. But this was with summer litters, so outside was easy, especially with plenty of wood chips to keep them smelling fresh.

I see in the dog magazines these puppy pens that are wire raised and have pans under them. My litters just couldn't stay in a 4'x4' area though.

So I use tons of newspapers inside and wood chips outside and hope that they house train themselves quickly.

Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2008, 10:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

We have vinyl flooring over cement. We do use newspapers once the pups are older and the dam is no longer in charge of clean up duty. We have an indoor/outdoor set up with an indoor kennel/whelping box and a dog door to an outdoor kennel on patio brick. I really, really love this set up. By the time the pups are 4-5 weeks old, they are pretty good about going outside to potty. They get better as time goes on and while there's still the occasional peeing and pooping inside, it's greatly reduced and that helps keep things clean.

Our indoor area is divided between a 5x5 whelping box with an attached exercise pen. We put cedar chips in the whelping box, and newspapers over the vinyl flooring in the surrounding pen. With two separate indoor areas, they pick one for sleeping/playing and one for a bathroom. So when the pups do decide to pee and poop indoors instead of going outside (which is usually at night) they consistently do it in their designated bathroom area.

Oddly, we've had some litters that preferred to sleep and play in the cedar chip filled whelping box and use the open exercise pen for the bathroom, and others that preferred to sleep and play in the exercise pen and used the cedar chips in the whelping area as a litterbox. Either way it works as the pups are sleeping and playing away from where they pee and poop, and the cedar chips help keep the area and the puppies cleaner and smelling fresh.

Here's a picture of our indoor set up.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I used to have vinyl flooring. Got tired of whelping dams ripping it to shreds. We've since put down ceramic tile and I use heat lamps as needed. When they're first getting mobile, I use bath maps with the backings. Pups learn to get a good footing. About 5 wks I open up the doggie door to the fenced in outdoor area and they are taught to go up and down the ramp. They usually start going outside to do their business without formal teaching.
angelaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2008, 11:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

i guess i should have added that pupies aren't put in the runs...they have free roam of the back yard
Romance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2008, 11:14 AM   #8 (permalink)

Chris-your indoor set-up looks like it would be the ideal thing-I thought about the wood chips idea but was thinking it may cause eye irritation.I have used straw before in our old kennel building and that is what I found.Nothing major but the vet would always point that out when I got them vet-checked.What kind of wood chips should we use-cedar?And thank you for the help-much appreciate it.Great picture too.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:22 AM   #9 (permalink)

The wire pens with the pans underneath (I am told) causes them to get their feet caught thru the grates and then they start screaming.I have friends that breed cockers and that is what they use but the shepherds become a bit too heavy and is not feasible.
The problem for us is we live in NW Ontario Canada and right now it is -25 so no such thing as a "doggie door" so they can let themselves outside to go.Then of course you have to bath them evey few days because they get so smelly which you don't want to be doing either at this time of year.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Quote:
Originally Posted By: LindasilChris-your indoor set-up looks like it would be the ideal thing-I thought about the wood chips idea but was thinking it may cause eye irritation.I have used straw before in our old kennel building and that is what I found.Nothing major but the vet would always point that out when I got them vet-checked.What kind of wood chips should we use-cedar?And thank you for the help-much appreciate it.Great picture too.
We've never had any eye irritation problems with the wood chips. Straw is very dusty and has lots of fine particles in it, and with a lot of traffic on it the straw stalks will break down into more fine pieces that can get into the air which is why it can lead to eye irritation. Wood chips don't have those issues, so long as you buy the larger chips, not the really finely ground ones often used in hamster cages. We use cedar. Of course, there's always a potential of pups eating the wood chips, so we always make sure to watch the pups to make sure that doesn't happen. We haven't had a wood chip eater yet, but if we did we'd pull out the chips.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.